What's new

Street Fighter 5 and others on xbox one?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
They'd have to make a seperate version of Windows for Xbox, there's no mouse and USB keyboards aren't ideal if you're working with the bios for example (ps/2 all the way baby). Plus PC games require certain drivers etc that isn't the same on the console so. I believe anything's possible, but I don't think it's as simple as dual booting windows on the xbox, they'd be writing a seperate program to work with the Xbox and even then it would be bad for microsoft since people would be torrenting games or buying it on steam so they'd lose moeny.

Also, imagine the security threats for the xbox if it could run Windows, people would hack that shit all day then modded games online would be everywhere - like the ps3 jailbreak or the Xbox jtag era.

Technically, there isn't a restriction from a hardware perspective, but there are a lot of different hurdles they would need to get past for this to be ready for primetime. First, storage is going to be a problem--with only 500gig internals, it will be an issue as the drive will need to be partitioned in order to dual boot. (at least that's the only way I've ever done it, that or actually separate drives).

They could just make it so an external harddrive is required to dual boot, but then what percentage of your userbase actually has one? Enthusiast tend to think they represent their market, but in reality we are a small, small group. I have an external and would love dual boot, but for every one of me, there's likely 10 people that have no idea the Xbox One has a 500gig HD and will never come close to using it all.

This is the closest thing to a hardware restriction that I can think of off the top of my head. With that aside, there are a lot of other reasons why MS would not do this--mainly, they would be advertising to buy PC games on their hardware. It's pretty well known that Console manufacturers don't make a large profit, if any, on the actual console itself. Attach rate is king (software sales, etc.), so MS potentially losing money on hardware and then pushing software sales to another market would be suicide. This would never happen, in my opinion.

Working programmer/coder here (aka, the techie who knows his shit)

Ok, so technically this is possible but only for one reason.

Xbox One (according to Microsoft) is actually running on the Windows Kernel.

Operating systems are actually one layer of a computer's systems, and they are built on top of kernels. Linux for example, is a kernel by which both Fedora and Ubuntu are built on. Windows 8/10 is built on the Windows kernel. While multiple OS's can work on any given kernel, you canot make them work on multiple kernels- they are designated to work with one. Previously, the Xbox 360 had it's own kernel which wasn't completely like the Windows 7 kernel, thus would have made this completely impossible to port one to the other.

It's theoretically possible, but veeeery unlikely. 1) I really don't think Windows 10 is running on the exact same kernel as Xbox One. I just doubt they are the exact same. 2) The Windows 10 operating system actually grants the user certain access to the kernel it is running on. Basically, the introduction of the Wndows operating system to the Xbox One would literally be putting software on the Xbox One at great risk of being ripped and turned into homebrew applications.

Of course, I think that would be a great thing. But console makers have deemed it out of their interest to have an open source console- and while Windows isn't open source- it is certainly more crackable than the completely closed source Xbox One which doesn't offer public SDK's. It would basically introduce an environment to the console they do not want there.

Last edited: