What's new

Story theory: Kronika revives Shao Kahn to punish Raiden for decapitating Shinnok

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
we heard shao Kahn will play a role in story. Could this be how he fits in? Kronika was PISSED that raiden sliced shinnok’s godly dome off, what better way to punish earth realm’s dark protector than to revive the fallen Kahn to F up his plans somehow...

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
we heard shao Kahn will play a role in story.
Shaun was asked 3 story questions in a row and he gave 3 vague and non committal answers in a row. I wouldn't take his "I can't talk about that" as confirmation of anything. He just didn't want to talk about it.

Past experience with Goro and Darseid strongly suggests Shao Kahn will not be playable.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Shaun was asked 3 story questions in a row and he gave 3 vague and non committal answers in a row. I wouldn't take his "I can't talk about that" as confirmation of anything. He just didn't want to talk about it.

Past experience with Goro and Darseid strongly suggests Shao Kahn will not be playable.
you mean Shao Kahn will not be in the story? we know he's playable

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I think we need more information on Kronika. I'm not sure she can revive characters but rather just travel through time. And the Elder gods themselves killed Shao Kahn in this timeline, sound like he'd be hard to revive.

And if she has the power to bring Shao Kahn from the previous timeline, we saw that he won Armageddon and had the power of Blaze with him, I'd expect him to be the final boss, too imposing of a presence in my eyes.

pure.Wasted

I can understand Goro and Darkseid not being in the story, but I think it would be a mistake not to somehow include Shao in the MK11 story - he's just too epic of a character to be left out
I understand where you're coming from in terms of it feeling like a missed opportunity. It would be very interesting to see how MK1/2/3 Shao Kahn deals with the fact that none of his plans worked out, and instead he was actually fucking destroyed. We've never seen anything but a cartoony Shao Kahn and MK11's story does provide an opportunity to take him in a really terrifying direction.

But I still don't think it's going to happen. If the Goro and Darkseid comparison isn't reason enough, think about it from the DLC angle. Think about the outrage we would have on our hands that he's locked behind a pre-order/premium/MK11XL wall. Goro and Darkseid being left out is at least understandable because they have literally zero impact on the story, but if Shao Kahn is playable AND has as many gear sets as other fighters AND plays a role in the story? I could see a lot of people potentially being upset about that, and NRS not wanting to take the risk.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I understand where you're coming from in terms of it feeling like a missed opportunity. It would be very interesting to see how MK1/2/3 Shao Kahn deals with the fact that none of his plans worked out, and instead he was actually fucking destroyed. We've never seen anything but a cartoony Shao Kahn and MK11's story does provide an opportunity to take him in a really terrifying direction.

But I still don't think it's going to happen. If the Goro and Darkseid comparison isn't reason enough, think about it from the DLC angle. Think about the outrage we would have on our hands that he's locked behind a pre-order/premium/MK11XL wall. Goro and Darkseid being left out is at least understandable because they have literally zero impact on the story, but if Shao Kahn is playable AND has as many gear sets as other fighters AND plays a role in the story? I could see a lot of people potentially being upset about that, and NRS not wanting to take the risk.
I love that - the idea of Shao Kahn who is revived and yet suddenly faced with some degree of self doubt/insecurity by virtue of the knowledge that he had previously been destroyed - doubt/insecurity which he expresses in the form of even more violence and rage.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
We already know they're travelling through time, which feels like a simpler explanation -- Shao Kahn is around because we're going back in time to when he was alive.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I love that - the idea of Shao Kahn who is revived and yet suddenly faced with some degree of self doubt/insecurity by virtue of the knowledge that he had previously been destroyed - doubt/insecurity which he expresses in the form of even more violence and rage.
Imagine if/when he runs into the rumored Shang + Ermac amalgam. The business those three have with each other would be no small matter.
Besides, Goro and Kintaro both played at least reasonable parts in the MK9 story and neither of them were even playable. Give Kahn some airtime, dammit. Shang and Ermac, too. I'm hoping they have a gimmick like on South Park where Cartman was harboring Kenny's soul, except Shang is being driven insane by the many that is Ermac, so Shao Kahn finds them in that big lava chasm in Outworld, you know, the one from Konquest where Blaze is walking around, and he's about to throw them all in, but Kahn is like "nah," and he splits them back up and fully restores them, and powers them back up like he did with Sindel. Their faith is restored. And he feels super empowered because he's still got it, AND now he has two of his most capable henchmen back under his command, because he's not an idiot and he understands the importance of a strong team. Now they all go forth to fuck shit up in the Armageddon battle.

Just a theory.

pure.Wasted

We already know they're travelling through time, which feels like a simpler explanation -- Shao Kahn is around because we're going back in time to when he was alive.
Err, we know that MKX characters will be traveling back in time? Where did we learn that?

I was under the impression that all we know is that characters from the past will travel to us.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Imagine if/when he runs into the rumored Shang + Ermac amalgam. The business those three have with each other would be no small matter.
Besides, Goro and Kintaro both played at least reasonable parts in the MK9 story and neither of them were even playable. Give Kahn some airtime, dammit. Shang and Ermac, too. I'm hoping they have a gimmick like on South Park where Cartman was harboring Kenny's soul, except Shang is being driven insane by the many that is Ermac, so Shao Kahn finds them in that big lava chasm in Outworld, you know, the one from Konquest where Blaze is walking around, and he's about to throw them all in, but Kahn is like "nah," and he splits them back up and fully restores them, and powers them back up like he did with Sindel. Their faith is restored. And he feels super empowered because he's still got it, AND now he has two of his most capable henchmen back under his command, because he's not an idiot and he understands the importance of a strong team. Now they all go forth to fuck shit up in the Armageddon battle.

Just a theory.
Hahaha that all would kick ass

Pizza

Thrill Kill
This is a Shao Kahn from another timeline. Perhaps even from a timeline where he merged with Onaga.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
Err, we know that MKX characters will be traveling back in time? Where did we learn that?

I was under the impression that all we know is that characters from the past will travel to us.
I meant "we" as in the players. I just assume Shao Kahn will be around by the same mechanism as Baraka and the young versions of all the older characters.

Just a theory.
I think what everyone forgets is that in the current timeline Shao Khan's soul is for some reason part of Ermac. (He states that in one of his MKX intros). So if Shang eats Ermac, he gets Khan's juice as well. Playable Khan is probably from another timeline. I hope they give Shao Khan more creative magical attacks not just brute strength and weapons. He is the one who taught Shang a lot of his sorcery, plus Scarlet now states in her intro that her blood magic is a gift from Shao Khan as well.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I think what everyone forgets is that in the current timeline Shao Khan's soul is for some reason part of Ermac. (He states that in one of his MKX intros). So if Shang eats Ermac, he gets Khan's juice as well. Playable Khan is probably from another timeline. I hope they give Shao Khan more creative magical attacks not just brute strength and weapons. He is the one who taught Shang a lot of his sorcery, plus Scarlet now states in her intro that her blood magic is a gift from Shao Khan as well.
BRUUUUH, I completely forgot about that.
The trio gets EVEN MORE complex...and becomes a square if you factor in Skarlet.

There is so much potential for juicy story meat.