What's new

Stepping Back To Appreciate the Scene’s Growth

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Today, I was looking and the Combo Breaker numbers, and reflecting on something: we have more entrants at Combo Breaker than we had at the first EVO for MK9. I think it’s pretty impressive how our scene has grown, and the FGC along with it.

When I first found this community in late 2011, it was a far cry from what we’re dealing with right now. We were usually given whatever the worst venue space was (tucked away in some tiny basement corner). I think someone actually played pools matches on a setup in a bathroom once. Several Top 8s at majors were not streamed. Numerous pools at majors were not streamed. And streams we did have used to go down all the time, frequently in the middle of hotly contested matches in stuff like Top 32. It was a mess.

(Once Pig used his own cell phone 4G at a tournament he wasn’t streaming, but was competing in, to save a completely wrecked stream for the fans. That’s crazy).

Back then even our absolute best players all saved their own money to travel to events. To hopefully win enough just to do it again. Pot bonuses were few and far between, and mostly regulated to launch events and big esports orgs like MLG. People played for props and because they loved the game.

Our game was also beyond broken. And internet play was highly questionable with a ton of lag and delay. Training mode was of somewhat dubious usage (people used to use second controllers, quick pause menu switching, and other gimmicks to try to test things out).

We depended on a solitary, anonymous donor for frame data, which we didn’t have for much of the game’s early months. It was like Christmas whenever he’d post the fame data for another character.

This year we head into Combo Breaker as the marquee game, with a title that isn’t broken, has a useful practice mode, and probably the best netplay of any major fighting game. We will have a stream. There will be lots of money involved and a league. And a number of players have sponsors paying their airfare. Whoever wins will be able to afford more than just their ticket to the next event. That’s pretty cool.

In any case, I hope we take a moment to just look back and appreciate where we’re standing in the present, compared to the past. I’m excited to see where we go from here.

Here’s to a great tournament run for MK11.. And beyond! :)

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Even though those were the dark ages, it makes me wish that I could have taken more of a part in the community and actually have joined the site back then. And also reminds me as to why I've dedicated myself to this game and wanting to do my part to contribute, since I've actually got some time to focus on the game instead of juggling a full-time college schedule and a part-time job.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Ah yes, all 8 years and you have yet to turn up at the dozens of majors near you. Good times. ;)
I was at DTN a year ago.. What are you talking about

Hung out with Theo, Whiteboi, Dragon, Hayatei, etc.

Was also just in Chicago hanging with 16 Bit, Saucy Jack, and Ducky a few months back.

But hey, cheap shots make you feel good, so enjoy.

Last edited:

skahwt

Noob
Ah yes, all 8 years and you have yet to turn up at the dozens of majors near you. Good times. ;)
I’m a casual player and an infrequent poster but I do remember him traveling to have a pre-Injustice interview with Hector Sanchez at some major vg conference. I watch your streams and appreciate what you do as well, but your comment feels cheap.

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
A lot of memories watching this shit. Always hype for tournaments and seeing who was going to reign.

The best moment for me was EVO 2013 when DJT put REO in the spin cycle with his Cyrax. I think that was the hyper I've ever seen the forum.

Hope we can get back to that with MK11.

CO-KANO

psn: UNFUCxWITABLE_1
I’ve always been a huge fan/Player for MK...i just used to go to jail a lot back in the days..now im in my late 20s and i cant believe i missed out on this shit. Respect to yall for starting this

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I wasn't aware there was even a tourney scene for 3D MK games before I joined this site a few years ago. I wasn't much of a competitive player back then, and even if IJ2 wasn't exactly what we all hoped it would be it helped me become a better player. I know we all have our gripes with MK11, but as a competitive fighting game, it's really, really great.

I really hope I can make it to a tourney soon, but living 4-8 hours away from every major city in Quebec is really shitty. That's why I really love playing with my TYM fam, even if we can't play offline, we can still play together.

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I wasn't aware there was even a tourney scene for 3D MK games before I joined this site a few years ago. I wasn't much of a competitive player back then, and even if IJ2 wasn't exactly what we all hoped it would be it helped me become a better player. I know we all have our gripes with MK11, but as a competitive fighting game, it's really, really great.

I really hope I can make it to a tourney soon, but living 4-8 hours away from every major city in Quebec is really shitty. That's why I really love playing with my TYM fam, even if we can't play offline, we can still play together.
3D Era had a competitive scene? I thought Everyone Hated that Era

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
the FGC scene evolve due too the fact of MK games evolved along with as well, and for good .... today you have a more cover from midia and social network, so, information is easy to pick and flows up very accessible for majority of players .... the game, MK, each version brings something new and interesting to the table, and developers are listening a bit more and better the fanbase, and being aware that eSports is a very good market to explore .... :D

online today is a huge factor and point, so, MK games wisely just took all benefits of modern technology and gaming resources, and it's very good seeing new blood, new generation of players that shows off interesting for competitive scene , and help to build hype for the game ;)

the actual moment , current one, nowadays , is good for MK franchise as game ! :)

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
3D Era had a competitive scene? I thought Everyone Hated that Era
LOL.. Not everyone.. It's kind of what birthed a lot of the players who eventually became MK9's top players immediately afterward.

No matter how wacky some game is (and some of those games were pretty wacky), there's always a group of people who will love it and go for broke in it.