What's new

Match-up Discussion starting the match

ryublaze

Noob
What do you do? I have trouble deciding what to do and sometimes I waste meter if my opponent blocks.

- Usually, I jump and do EX Air Dagger, which usually gets my opponent if he does anything besides block

- do a NJP followed by a down dagger

- use an EX Red Dash followed by a slide

- jump back and throw daggers mixed with a slide

- jump back and throw an EX Dagger (cancel) and throw or slide

- try to get a d3 in after blocking a few strings

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
starting the match should usually be you trying to get the first hit in any way you can for the meter boost. go in poking with d3 and/or try to throw. i think spending meter on anything other than ex red dash that early in the match isn't smart.

Altaire

Noob
What do you do? I have trouble deciding what to do and sometimes I waste meter if my opponent blocks.

- Usually, I jump and do EX Air Dagger, which usually gets my opponent if he does anything besides block

- do a NJP followed by a down dagger

- use an EX Red Dash followed by a slide

- jump back and throw daggers mixed with a slide

- jump back and throw an EX Dagger (cancel) and throw or slide

- try to get a d3 in after blocking a few strings
Theory fighting at its finest.

I don't see why you wouldn't just... I don't know, back dash, block, wait it out. Instead of betting everything on a gamble that could just give your opponent a free two bars, you could create some distance and then let the match play out.

If you're going to do ANYTHING to start the match with Skarlet, it should just be F4 3, though even that can just get stuffed by a D4. It'll beat a jump in or neutral jump, it's difficult to punish on whiff and it puts you at halfscreen distance on block. I really don't see the need to start every match with a pointless risk, but if you really had to, F4 3 has the smallest margin of error.

BookBurning

Voidwards
I like to begin my matches with 5 Geyser kicks in a row and watch my character slowly advance towards my opponent menacingly inch by inch on the screen as he does them.

ryublaze

Noob
Theory fighting at its finest.

I don't see why you wouldn't just... I don't know, back dash, block, wait it out. Instead of betting everything on a gamble that could just give your opponent a free two bars, you could create some distance and then let the match play out.

If you're going to do ANYTHING to start the match with Skarlet, it should just be F4 3, though even that can just get stuffed by a D4. It'll beat a jump in or neutral jump, it's difficult to punish on whiff and it puts you at halfscreen distance on block. I really don't see the need to start every match with a pointless risk, but if you really had to, F4 3 has the smallest margin of error.
That's...the nicest thing you've ever said to me. Personally, I'd rather go for her fast D3 pokes if I'm up close but if my opponent blocks them then F4, 3 does seem like a fine option to escape. I already listed jumping back and dagger tossing/cancelling but I think I should have worded that differently.

Altaire

Noob
I like to begin my matches with 5 Geyser kicks in a row and watch my character slowly advance towards my opponent menacingly inch by inch on the screen as he does them.
...I don't know WHY, but I was almost in tears laughing when I read this. Fuck me, that sure is menacing right there.

That's...the nicest thing you've ever said to me. Personally, I'd rather go for her fast D3 pokes if I'm up close but if my opponent blocks them then F4, 3 does seem like a fine option to escape. I already listed jumping back and dagger tossing/cancelling but I think I should have worded that differently.
...I was being sarcastic when I said "theory fighting at its finest", but alright. The implication is that theory fighting rarely holds up in a real match setting.

Jumping off the start of the round is always, always punishable. NJPs can be beaten by any standing normal or special that will reach. Back jumps can be beaten by projectiles or teleports, often times on reaction. Jumping in, well, need I elaborate?

ryublaze

Noob
...I don't know WHY, but I was almost in tears laughing when I read this. Fuck me, that sure is menacing right there.

...I was being sarcastic when I said "theory fighting at its finest", but alright. The implication is that theory fighting rarely holds up in a real match setting.

Jumping off the start of the round is always, always punishable. NJPs can be beaten by any standing normal or special that will reach. Back jumps can be beaten by projectiles or teleports, often times on reaction. Jumping in, well, need I elaborate?
Yeah I should have worded it "dashing back". I used to do NJP, Down Dagger which always beat out jump-ins or opponents trying to start off with low pokes but I noticed it wasn't that effective. Thanks for the input. Lol.

Altaire

Noob
It's almost never wise to start the round with anything that could even possibly be punished. I'll occasionally do it if I'm playing someone I know, because after so many sets, they won't expect me to throw out an attack off the start, but it's never wise against an unfamiliar opponent. You're better off just back dashing to get your bearings and going from there.

Deity

Noob
OFFLINE I walk backwards and look to whiff punish with red dash xx up-slash. Online I just back up and block lol.

I used to start with u3 for ppl who randomly jump in for a full anti air combo, but it's harder on certain characters so I don't just throw it out anymore. Lately it's quick jump air forward dagger, which works well or just back up and wait. Also sometimes sweep is good too.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I started to read this think is recent, and then i saw the date, this was probally the early days of RedRaptor10:p

Well, as i've being saying before, it depends of what character skarlet plays against and what they can do from a range where skarlet is on control.

So saying something especific wouldn't be a good idea, because she has a milion ways of starting a match

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I started to read this think is recent, and then i saw the date, this was probally the early days of RedRaptor10:p

Well, as i've being saying before, it depends of what character skarlet plays against and what they can do from a range where skarlet is on control.

So saying something especific wouldn't be a good idea, because she has a milion ways of starting a match

ryublaze

Noob
lol wow this topic is old. Now I usually try to back up and EX Red Dash slide on reaction to my opponent's move or get a D3 in there. Sometimes depending on the character I'm fighting I'll jump back and EX Air Dagger on reaction but it doesn't work too well. But yeah I agree with you Eddy Wang it depends on the matchup. If I want to keep my opponent away then maybe I won't go for a D3 against someone like Johnny Cage.