What's new

Standing Hurtbox while Crouching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
EDIT: FIXED IN JAN 21ST PATCH

When you let go of block while crouching the game puts your hurtbox in standing position for a frame or two. This is very annoying and can cause you getting hit by high projectiles if you try to let go of block like this:

@colt @16 Bit @Dizzy is this intended? I hope it gets fixed

Last edited:

Braindead

BTW this is not character specific and doesn't depend on the projectile. Seems like a universal thing.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
I just tested this in the lab and yep, this happens.
Test 1:
Geras versus Liu Kang - You can consistently get Geras to get hit by the high fireball by letting go of block as the fireball would hit.
Test 2:
Raiden versus Liu Kang - Raiden CANNOT be hit by Liu's fireball in this way. I think this is because Raiden can never be hit by Liu's Fireball while crouch blocking or neutral ducking. He low profiles it either way, and I couldn't get Raiden to get hit by the fireball by simply releasing block.

My Hypothesis-
So, yes, something is messed up. But it's not making the hitbox stand for that frame (otherwise Raiden would get hit). It is instead extending the hurtbox on that frame to the same as it would be if you were crouch blocking, when you are actually just neutral ducking.

Braindead

I just tested this in the lab and yep, this happens.
Test 1:
Geras versus Liu Kang - You can consistently get Geras to get hit by the high fireball by letting go of block as the fireball would hit.
Test 2:
Raiden versus Liu Kang - Raiden CANNOT be hit by Liu's fireball in this way. I think this is because Raiden can never be hit by Liu's Fireball while crouch blocking or neutral ducking. He low profiles it either way, and I couldn't get Raiden to get hit by the fireball by simply releasing block.

My Hypothesis-
So, yes, something is messed up. But it's not making the hitbox stand for that frame (otherwise Raiden would get hit). It is instead extending the hurtbox on that frame to the same as it would be if you were crouch blocking, when you are actually just neutral ducking.
I tested it earlier and Raiden gets hit with Subzero's ice ball very consistently.

Edit: Nevermind just re-read your post. Your conclusion makes sense.

Enexemander

A Hitbox Pirate - YARRR -
Yep, that fits. Raiden gets hit crouch blocking Sub Zero's ice ball. Liu's high fireball just completely misses Raiden crouch blocking.
(Really just adding this so NRS can better pin point the issue.)

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
It amazes me that when developing their games, NRS has never once set standard parameters for high attacks and neutral crouching hurt boxes. Like when designing any high projectile, it should have a minimum height value well above the maximum neutral crouch height value, just as a basis for general game mechanics to function.

It’s like the animators and designers never spoke to each other, or didn’t understand how the game was supposed to work from the start and no one checked up on them during development? Maybe the work was outsourced or done at a different office.

Anyway, NRS sucks.

It amazes me that when developing their games, NRS has never once set standard parameters for high attacks and neutral crouching hurt boxes. Like when designing any high projectile, it should have a minimum height value well above the maximum neutral crouch height value, just as a basis for general game mechanics to function.

It’s like the animators and designers never spoke to each other, or didn’t understand how the game was supposed to work from the start and no one checked up on them during development? Maybe the work was outsourced or done at a different office.

Anyway, NRS sucks.

REEEEEE

DDustiNN

MK11 Pocket Guide: Koming Soon to the App Store
I thought I was just too slow. But very often, I let go of block while crouching, and get grabbed by a throw. I’ve yelled multiple times at my TV, “I KNOW I LET GO OF BLOCK!”

I just wrote it off as online input delay, making my reactions almost impossible.

Lokheit

Noob
Would it really be so hard to make a variable that says that if you're holding down AND not holding block AND not in hit/block stun, you're inmune to Highs rather than using hitbox collisions as the only variable.

I mean, a huge lot of the hitbox (incorrectly whiffing or incorrectly hitting) problems in this game would be solved if characters had this instead of going by their 3d models collision boxes. If certain attacks are meant to low profile Mids during their active frames you can use the same method too to make those consistent across the cast.

Gaxkang

Banned
I thought I was just too slow. But very often, I let go of block while crouching, and get grabbed by a throw. I’ve yelled multiple times at my TV, “I KNOW I LET GO OF BLOCK!”

I just wrote it off as online input delay, making my reactions almost impossible.
Yeah I've had those where I really felt I let go of block in time, but got thrown.

This sorta thing one would hope they'd fix...but a worst cast scenario is that they intend it. :eek:

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
We complained about this shit for months and nothing's done about it.

Borderlands 3 comes out in two months so in the end it doesn't really matter what they do with the game at this point.

Buuuuuuuuuump

Jax has a string that is mid,high (D1,2). The only way to punish it is to let go of block to let the high whiff. But this bug will fuck you up for even trying.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Just remember Paolo himself said not all MID attacks are intended to hit crouching hurtboxes :DOGE

NRS are fucking clowns and should get their hurtbox crap fixed already

Sanjo

Noob
The game is like that, deal with it. It's a universal thing so I don't see the problem. I just assume that transitioning from cr. Block to neutral crouch takes 1 or 2f during which you maintain a bigger hurtbox. Indeed, it would be Nice if it was to change as it would allow more defensive options up close. But the risk of ruining many strings seems high. Some characters like Johnny have strings ending with a high that la unduckable even though there's a big enough gap. As I said, I just deal with it.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
The game has wonky, inconsistent hit properties pro and contra all across the board, from whiffing issues on mids and lowprofiling mids to omnipotent full character hurtbox sized hitboxes on some normals like Erron's b2
Wouldn't be surprised if the above hitbox issue happened.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
this has been in every mk game since 9. Its what allows jailing. Your hurtbox can block a high projectile while crouching, if you do it within 1-2 frames of the projectile reaching you, you'll get hit because because you're hitbox is still expanded for those 2 frames or so. Its not a bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.