What's new

Stance Pressure Ideas

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
Just a quick thread to see what my fellow Liu mains think about what NRS should do to tweak his Shaolin Stance (also Nunchuck Stance if they give us a tourney variation with it) so that you can use it as a legit pressure tool.

My personal opinion is that I think his stance cancels shouldn’t cost a bar and should be more like how Jacqui’s cancels behave. Would add a much deeper variety and skill gap to the character. Not to mention the sweet tech that we could come up with.

For the record - I’m not talking about crazy overboard MKX fireball run cancel style nonsense. More so for block pressure than combo extension.

As a bonus - maybe have the stance cost a bar for a metered launcher to add even more combo variety. Thinking a launcher that hits mid that is unsafe and punishable on block so you can’t just throw it out naked and carelessly.

I don’t know. I just know it’s a hot topic and wanted to create a discussion thread about it.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
His stance is great as it is. He has the best stagger string in the game so I doubt they’ll tweak his stance to make him OP. Parry, low, overhead, low fireball, a lot of things to expect sometimes people forget that he can cancel the string, walk back and full combo punish any pokes

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
His stance is great as it is. He has the best stagger string in the game so I doubt they’ll tweak his stance to make him OP. Parry, low, overhead, low fireball, a lot of things to expect sometimes people forget that he can cancel the string, walk back and full combo punish any pokes
Respect your opinion but calling it great is a bit of a stretch... It’s really a gimmick in its current state. Stance 3 is the only attack that isn’t super negative. The overhead is really a mid-OH attack and is easily punished. The cancel costs a bar and is ultra negative on pretty much every string except for f333 (third hit) and b124 (second hit). And even those two strings w cancel are like -12.

I just want variety. Not looking to make him OP. Want some more cool tech to use. Feel like MKX offered a lot more in that regard, even at launch. Right now it’s too heavy of a reliance on F4 IMO.

The whole cast needs a hard look for balancing IMO. Customs should be allowed as well but that’s for another topic.

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
Liu Kang feels very linear, the game ist out for a month and had success at the begining, now im losing more. Stance is gimmicky and could use some reworking, The mid, overhead is highly risky,low rewarding. Would suggest it be either safe or let it launch and keep it unsafe. I'd rather remove it and replace it with fire buff, or command grab. Maybe even replace it with Nunchaku Stance.

RAYBAANN

Noob
Liu Kang feels very linear, the game ist out for a month and had success at the begining, now im losing more. Stance is gimmicky and could use some reworking, The mid, overhead is highly risky,low rewarding. Would suggest it be either safe or let it launch and keep it unsafe. I'd rather remove it and replace it with fire buff, or command grab. Maybe even replace it with Nunchaku Stance.
Nunchaku Stance is shit, all the attacks are full punishable on block, cancel it is more risky than Shaolin Stance, and the useless reflect...

Wrubez

The Flow Instructor
Nunchaku Stance is shit, all the attacks are full punishable on block, cancel it is more risky than Shaolin Stance, and the useless reflect...
Couldn't agree more. I really thought Nunchaku stance was supposed to be OP or something since it wasn't a part of tourney variations...until I started labbing with the real time frame data turned on. There is ZERO practical use for pressure. The ONLY thing that Nunchaku Stance gives you is more damage and is better off using raw than off a block string. Both stances need some attention, especially if NRS plans on releasing a third variation for each character. Liu's gameplan has always revolved around pressure and man does F43 get boring fast...

Just saying - don't need the crazy fireball cancels like MKX - just would love to have more pressure options and better frame data off his stances. Free cancelling would be a bonus (and this should be for the whole cast like why can Jacqui have -2 meterless cancels that are crispy AF?)

A lot of Liu's tools need to be revisited (I mean you could really apply this logic to 90% of the cast). His flame buff is solid but his teleport quickly became snuffed out with being able to neutral jump on read. The command grab is meh and the flame-teleport-thing is super gimmicky. I've labbed a lot of his non-tourney tools just in case of another variation being released or - sigh - allowing customs in general and to be frank - Luohan Quan still beats everything IMO lol.

RAYBAANN

Noob
Couldn't agree more. I really thought Nunchaku stance was supposed to be OP or something since it wasn't a part of tourney variations...until I started labbing with the real time frame data turned on. There is ZERO practical use for pressure. The ONLY thing that Nunchaku Stance gives you is more damage and is better off using raw than off a block string. Both stances need some attention, especially if NRS plans on releasing a third variation for each character. Liu's gameplan has always revolved around pressure and man does F43 get boring fast...

Just saying - don't need the crazy fireball cancels like MKX - just would love to have more pressure options and better frame data off his stances. Free cancelling would be a bonus (and this should be for the whole cast like why can Jacqui have -2 meterless cancels that are crispy AF?)

A lot of Liu's tools need to be revisited (I mean you could really apply this logic to 90% of the cast). His flame buff is solid but his teleport quickly became snuffed out with being able to neutral jump on read. The command grab is meh and the flame-teleport-thing is super gimmicky. I've labbed a lot of his non-tourney tools just in case of another variation being released or - sigh - allowing customs in general and to be frank - Luohan Quan still beats everything IMO lol.
The command grab IMO is a great tool, if you cancel it with F3, D1, B124, B3 or 212, and the opponent still blocking...veil for yourself, I really want it in a new variation!!!