What's new

Strategy Stages And Smoke

Glass Sword

Nobody
The other day in the Smoke council Wafflez brought up the point that there were several stages which mess with Smoke's corner combos. I think it is time we put a list together for reference purposes.

Shang Tsung's Garden (Both of them)

Living Forest

Are the only two (three) I know about.
I would appreciate it if people could look into this and add to the list. Also I would like a video of Smoke's combos not connecting (He gets turned around in the corner.)

Reactions: LaR
Man, there's weird shit that goes on in every stage; particularly with corners. Shang Tsung's Garden is notorious for dropping resets in the left corner. I have not had any issues with Living Forest, it's one of my favorite stages actually. It's just tough to tell where the corners are at sometimes.

Glass Sword

Nobody
I get turned around all the time in the right corner of the living forest. If one dashes into it when the opponent is falling from a Smoke Cloud it registers you as behind them and turns you around. I think this has to do with the wall there.

I get turned around all the time in the right corner of the living forest. If one dashes into it when the opponent is falling from a Smoke Cloud it registers you as behind them and turns you around. I think this has to do with the wall there.
ah well I don't dash inbetween strings of corner combos so I don't have that problem and Ive never had problems with smoke bomb like you say on that stage :\ I believe you its just that I haven't experienced it personally

I've always assumed this was just Tommy extreme downplaying.
Nah, in this case Tom is 100% serious. It's usually the corners that are all messed up. Shao Kahn's Colusseum is pretty good in that weird stuff like that doesn't really happen, but there's talk of jump kicks whiffing on that stage just like on wastelands so who knows.

So now we counter pick stages vs smoke? yes, i'm all for this!
lbsh nobody does it anyways, this thread will change nothing except for players like soonk and I that actually give a fuck
If anyone tries to counterpick stages on me LOLCOLORBLIND, Kahn's Colusseum please

GGA Wafflez

the kid
if we arent aloud to pick against these stages, smoke becomes bottom 10. not being able to do combos because of a stage is ridiculous... pls... dont hate so much that you would have us players suffer like this. it's really dumb, and it would be extremely unfair for the community to allow these stages for smoke players.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I've noticed this the most in Shang's garden and I won't play on that stage anymore because I have had my bnb combo dropped multiple times. The after the 3d12 in the corner, the 32 animation actually moves Smoke to the left rather than keeping him in the corner facing right, effectively dropping the combo due to the corner issues. I think if we can prove that standard BNB's don't work on several stages, all of those stages should be banned in competitive play.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I do have a question that is relevant. Do you smoke users ever have an issue where you go to cross up an opponent in the corner, but then jump out and you end up jumping in the opposite direction?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I do have a question that is relevant. Do you smoke users ever have an issue where you go to cross up an opponent in the corner, but the jump out and you end up jumping in the opposite direction?
I don't remember anything like this but it honestly would not surprise me one iota.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I don't remember anything like this but it honestly would not surprise me one iota.
It is strange when it happens, it emits a weird sort of confusion over you. You jumped one way, but end up jumping in the opposite direction. It only happens in the corner.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I do have a question that is relevant. Do you smoke users ever have an issue where you go to cross up an opponent in the corner, but the jump out and you end up jumping in the opposite direction?
Yes. I end my corner combos with a glitchy okie mix up that often gets me a whiff punnish into another corner combo. Some times it's auto repositioning or I do a front flip going back wards. Smoke is fun :p I'v also been phasing through people like reptile lately

Also camera tracking is different on each level. So I can end my combos with f4 smoke away and I'll be completely off screen for a couple of seconds where I can build meter, go invisible n teleport. I do the same with sindel. The roof top stages camera is soooooo freaking slow and is badly centred on the fight and makes footsies harder with its constant swaying

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I do have a question that is relevant. Do you smoke users ever have an issue where you go to cross up an opponent in the corner, but then jump out and you end up jumping in the opposite direction?
yeah all the time. I really should sit down and make a thread showing which stages are busted and which aren't, at least for Smoke. Then I'll post in Outworld Remonstrate and have people discuss banning them.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
yeah all the time. I really should sit down and make a thread showing which stages are busted and which aren't, at least for Smoke. Then I'll post in Outworld Remonstrate and have people discuss banning them.
I would appreciate that work, because It happens to me more than it should. There is something weird about it, like it does the right animation, but its in the reverse direction. It's messed up and not just limited to smoke.

I would appreciate that work, because It happens to me more than it should. There is something weird about it, like it does the right animation, but its in the reverse direction. It's messed up and not just limited to smoke.
Yeah absolutely. I have never actually tried to replicate the problem, but I distinctly remember it happening a lot when you use Smoke's "Smoke Screen" tech in the corner ( xSMoKEx )

I'll try to figure some stuff out over the next few days before I really get into the swing of things with school, I guess. Gonna be a pain in the ass though haha but it does need to be done

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
I believe it's a problem with the way the game registers movement. When we move around we think left / right, but as we know MK uses an back / forward system in it's movement style. (How we have DB and DF specials, rather than it always being say down left regardless of which side you are on)

So basically the opponent jumps out and cross you over as you jump, and your intended direction flips causes you to go in the other direction. Same principle as Smoke Towards screwing up in the corner when they cross over, your inputs are flipped due to the cross up.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
So let me get this straight, the Smoke forums are wondering why an inadvertent GLITCH is liable not to work in certain situations? I would understand if it was a standard corner BNB that was inexplicably dropping on specific stages, but come on, do we really have to spell it out for you?

is the stages dropping corner combos PS3 exclusive?
I knew somebody was gonna bring this up, read above.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
So let me get this straight, the Smoke forums are wondering why an inadvertent GLITCH is liable not to work in certain situations? I would understand if it was a standard corner BNB that was inexplicably dropping on specific stages, but come on, do we really have to spell it out for you?

I knew somebody was gonna bring this up, read above.
why that didn't answer my question at all,

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
why that didn't answer my question at all,
It wasn't supposed to, I just find it funny how hellbent the community was on getting rid of Smoke's resets and now that there's something that may hinder them from working, we must switch consoles to ensure we infact, do keep on getting hit by them. LOL