What's new

Stage transitions?

So maybe far fetched, but it seems that the Special Forces Command might be outside of the hangar. That could be one transition. Then we have another interesting one (see pics): Shan’s koliseum / arena with the tomb / pits behind the door or underneath like in real arenas where they kept the animals? See the black animal in the cage behind Sub?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Lokheit

Noob
It's bad enough that interactables aren't symmetrically distributed (at least they look a bit toned down), so I hope there aren't stage transitions.

A basic of level design for balanced competitive games, no matter where you start, you and your opponent should be at the same distance of the same resources so being player one or player two doesn't make a difference (for example if your playstyle benefits more from the stuff on the right corner and you start as player 2, you will have to force a switch at some point, but if you're player 1 you only have to push forward).

This can be achieved by reskinning effects: for example, take Blanche, a moving interactable, you put a sheep that you can throw on the other side of the stage and while they look different, mechanically they're symetric interactables.

The Pit was the perfect stage in MKX because it was the only symmetric one. Transitions on just one side of the screen make this even worse, and transitions in both sides means you need to create 2 extra stages that mirror each other.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Stage transitions are one of the things I don't understand they haven't put into a modern MK yet. MK3-MKT had them, MKD-MKA had them, MKvsDCU had them, and then they made a return in the Injustice series... so why not MK as well?

They don't have to be like in Injustice though, where you have to do a back+4 to initiate them near the edge of the stage. With the smaller stages in MK11, they could instead do so a down+2 would make the opponent crash through the roof of a few of the stages, like they did in MK3-MKT. Not the Krushing Blow version though, as that would waste the combo potential those offer.

I think if it’s in, it will be to the side, though I doubt it’s in. Would be fun for sure and it doesn’t have to make sense, just on both sides a combo that has the opponent flying will cause a ‘fall’ in the new arena - previously right will mean coming in left in the new arena and vice versa. It can only happen once per match.

I do feel the mk3 way of rubble and really punching someone through a structure like a wall would be ideal. So in the army hangar you’d kick someone through a door / wall. Even if in the new arena it doesn’t necessarily add up (there’s no trace of the hangar in the desert command so you won’t come flying out of the building).

They could also use a blurry animation or even a portal!