What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Special Forces Special Forces Good and Bad MU's

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
This isn't a MU chart, but just thought it would be good to have a thread to discuss her matchups. I haven't played each character enough to make a chart but here are my thoughts. :)

I think she goes even with the majority of the cast. I also don't think she doesn any better or worse against any characters than 6-4 so the below are all that.

Bad:

Ninjitsu - Great at out spacing Sonya as her normals do not have great range and ninjitsu's, well, do. She cannot punish f2. Teleport makes you scared to zone too heavy. I think she struggles in this MU.

Ronin - Very similar reasons to ninjitus. With her tiny range on normals bar f2, it's very difficult to deal with his b1 stagger pressure. His zoning contests pretty well against sonyas and her short pokes make ot difficult to poke out of pressure.

Piercing - b12 is hard to deal with here short normals. she can get in on zoning with teleport. get out of certain corner setups with meterless roll. where homing missile would usually stop someones combo she moves round the whole fucking screen with hers so it often times out. great zoning to contest with sonyas.

Hish-Qu-Ten - smart discs limits sonyas great air mobility. The speed of his projectiles make it very hard to get drone out in the neutral and to get zoning started. Keeps sonya out well so pressure is difficult to get started. Great range on his normals like b2 and d4 that sonya cant contest with.

Good:

Kotal (all variations) - Kotal struggles with sonyas zoning with no zoning tool himself. Lack of armour in blood god makes pressure very hard to deal with.

Covert Ops - Great zoning is hard for covert ops to deal with, homing missile controls air space making it hard for CO to jump and dive her way in. Can't do too much about pressure, she has decent armour but nothing you need to respect too much. Ex arc kick amrour can be broken in corner and leg grab is little reward with being only +4 on hit and very unsafe.

That's all that comes to mind right now. I will add to this as I got more character experience.

@lookgirlitsteejay @Airvidal @Pan1cMode @Youphemism @MyronJ @Ninequads93 @Tony at Home Sorry anyone I forgot!

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Aw man I just got finished playing a scorpion and mileena. It's rough lol. I played against a ton of characters. I think her bad ones are definitely scorpion,displacer raiden,ethereal/piercing,hqt pred,takeda, and ermac. The teleport characters make it tough but it's not too awful

I've wavered back and forth on whether I think HQT is an awful matchup or completely doable. He definitely wins the zoning war at first. But he can't stop a homing missile from coming out, at which point I feel free to position myself close enough that he has to start throwing out disks to prevent my jump in= hence I can get my zoning going, or punish a disk throw on recover with a run-in.

But that feels like the crux of the matchup- I still get to determine how far apart we are from each other the moment I get a homing missile out. And now that he doesn't have his bullcrap armored launcher- mid-range is feasible.

colby4898

I've wavered back and forth on whether I think HQT is an awful matchup or completely doable. He definitely wins the zoning war at first. But he can't stop a homing missile from coming out, at which point I feel free to position myself close enough that he has to start throwing out disks to prevent my jump in= hence I can get my zoning going, or punish a disk throw on recover with a run-in.

But that feels like the crux of the matchup- I still get to determine how far apart we are from each other the moment I get a homing missile out. And now that he doesn't have his bullcrap armored launcher- mid-range is feasible.
I think if you're full screen away and you get a homing missilent he doesn't really have much reason to respect it. He recovers so fast he can keep zoning easily until the homing missile gets close and just block it. I think the drone is pretty redundant in this MU.

colby4898

What's the Tanya matchup like? Would you want to try and test it out?
I feel like she has a very difficult time against pyromancer actually. I forgot that one, although in all honesty that could just be not playing the match up enough, but I just don't know how to deal with her zoning as sonya. I usually use sorcerer against pyro and naginata. Naganata I've barely played against as sonya, I just find using my secondary easier against her.

Kobu jitsu I feel like it's an even matchup.

If you're EU PS4 I'll happily play some games with you :D

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I don't think Kotal is that bad a choice against her. You mention the range on other characters normals as a problem against other characters even though Kotal has great range on his normals lol. I think if any of the variations struggle with her zoning it's War God because Sun God and Blood God can just parry BF2 and BLK+2 and make their way in pretty quickly since Kotal has the fastest forward walkspeed in the game. The damage difference can also be a problem sometimes depending on the variation and sun level/totem out.

colby4898

I don't think Kotal is that bad a choice against her. You mention the range on other characters normals as a problem against other characters even though Kotal has great range on his normals lol. I think if any of the variations struggle with her zoning it's War God because Sun God and Blood God can just parry BF2 and BLK+2 and make their way in pretty quickly since Kotal has the fastest forward walkspeed in the game. The damage difference can also be a problem sometimes depending on the variation and sun level/totem out.
Fair point, but I find kotal much easier to keep away than I do the other characters I mentioned. Perhaps it's an even match up, but tfrom what ive played Ive had a pretty decent time against the ones ive played