What's new

Spawn General Discussion Thread

Does anyone know which characters can challenge spawn after AMP db3 in V3?

Seems like I can stick out s34 after with no worry.
Johnny Cage can reversal Shadow Kick. I'm sure many character can reversal punish with a special move if you are throwing out 34 immediately after an Amped DB3. Also, literally any projectile will punish you for throwing 34 out after too.

I imagine characters with strong keepaway will give him tremendous problems. You can be as patient as you like, but Spawn isn't a chaser. How is he ever going to walk down a teleporting Cetrion?
I played about 10 games last night vs a sparring partner that main Cetrion and it isn't that bad. Spawn has an extremely good wave dash. How I played the match-up was be patient, use my wave dash to get in and once I got in I abuse D1 jailing into F312, F4 grab, 11 and 11HoldB2 plus frame pressure along with all the standing 1 staggers. On paper it may seem like it would be hard against a zoner, but in practice it isn't as impossible as it seems.

Okay, strange moment yesterday: I had Geras in the corner after doing the 24U32 string and got reversal thrown despite the plus frames and doing my own throw as soon as I came out of blockstun. The replay showed his reversal starting up 3 frames ahead of my throw which should have meant mine would hit first, but Spawn didn't even start the throw animation.

The replay frame data display indicated that at the moment he threw me, I was at -42 on block for the string. Huh?

I labbed this and this string is peculiar. If you turn on frame data, set the AI to always block, then do the string, you'll notice that for a split second after the final hit the 'on block' number is -42 before it changes to +4. I'm not sure what's happening, but in the match I described at the beginning it looks like somehow I was still at -42 on block when I got thrown.

It's stuff like this that makes playing this game feel like I'm jamming bamboo sticks under my fingernails.
I labbed it. It does show -42 for a split second, and the opponents throw animation will come out before Spawn's, but Spawn's throw will connect first. I don't know what is going on, but it is weird. OK, I just labbed it a bit more and I'm getting a Reversal Throw after I block the string and input throw at the right time. Probably a bug.

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
RIght!? Im wondering why they made him so slow. You would think he'd be more of a rushdown character.
His wavedash is really fast...

I agree. You could tough it out and probably win some games against hard zoning and keep away but why bother when you can just switch. If I see Jade I'm never picking Spawn.
P.S. Fuck Jade.
He's not meant to zone though and Jade ain't that bad of a match-up. His worst match-ups are characters with strong pressure game due to being hard to shake people off you.

His wavedash is really fast...

He's not meant to zone though and Jade ain't that bad of a match-up. His worst match-ups are characters with strong pressure game due to being hard to shake people off you.
His wave dash is amazing. People are trippin. I haven't haad a problem being pressured. His D1 being able to jail into so many things is incredible.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I labbed it. It does show -42 for a split second, and the opponents throw animation will come out before Spawn's, but Spawn's throw will connect first. I don't know what is going on, but it is weird. OK, I just labbed it a bit more and I'm getting a Reversal Throw after I block the string and input throw at the right time. Probably a bug.
I just had the exact same scenario/behavior happen with Noob in the corner this time.

Snippet

I don't see anything to explain it, but to try to avoid getting reversal thrown this time I mashed the living shiz out of throw. You can see the frame data shows -42 again and that there's only one LB trigger in my command ticker on the left and it came 5 or 6 ticks AFTER Noob's despite my mashing.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I recently changed up my gameplay to include a lot more 34~Necroblast and wow what a footsie tool. It anti-airs, it stops forward rolls, it cant be punished, it's so amazing.

You get in range and start throwing it out and it makes characters that need to go in (like Jacqui) have an incredibly difficult time to do so and it can rival ranged characters like Frost, Jade, Kabal, Kotal

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
I recently changed up my gameplay to include a lot more 34~Necroblast and wow what a footsie tool. It anti-airs, it stops forward rolls, it cant be punished, it's so amazing.

You get in range and start throwing it out and it makes characters that need to go in (like Jacqui) have an incredibly difficult time to do so and it can rival ranged characters like Frost, Jade, Kabal, Kotal
One thing to really get some more value, especially when they jump, is do s3 and buffer necroblast. In V1 buffer bf3.

And can you believe someone tried to tell me Spawn loses his 34 game in V1 and V2. Said V3 only has it because of 34 xx DB3 Amp. V1 loses his 34 game, not V2. V2 loses nothing and has everything.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
And can you believe someone tried to tell me Spawn loses his 34 game in V1 and V2. Said V3 only has it because of 34 xx DB3 Amp. V1 loses his 34 game, not V2. V2 loses nothing and has everything.
I think 34 is an integral piece of V3's gameplay and V1 suffer because it doesnt really have a good special to use after 34 .

I play V3 but I rarely do 34~DB3(amp) and will usually opt to do 34~Necroblast(amp) because many people tend to jump if you hit the 34 at max range.
Beyond the 34, V3's main game plan is basically to tag and retreat until you have meter. It's a lot of footsies and 50/50s for a small payoff.

Since V2 can not only do the 34~Necroblast(amp) to control spacing, but can also do 34~BF3(amp) for more damage, I'm slowly starting to gravitate towards V2 over V3.

I mean what do you really lose when you switch from V3 to V2?
  • Soul Shattering club....sure but it's not like I correctly predict when they are about to breakaway anyway lol
  • Leetha stance ... As an AA it's too slow, do it too close and it's punishable, sure you can catch people blocking high sometimes.
  • Command grab ... Invisibility is a bit of a gimmick but can be beneficial and other than B1~Command grab when they block the first hit and stand up, it's not super crucial to have.
  • DB3 low ... Sad to see it go away ill be honest
Because of the low damage of V3, you CONSTANTLY have to play footsies and avoid getting out-footsied, which can be hard when facing an opponent which has range tools like yours & the damage to back it up. With V2, you can play that range footsie game and have the damage to end the round much quicker than V3

Professor Oak

Are you a boy or girl?
Sorry it took so long guys, I had a lot on my plate in my personal life, but Im ready to do that write up:

V1 Spawn needs Necro Blast or another standard projectile to be a zoning variation. Currently, guns are pointless and Dive kick is just a dive kick. No reason to pick V1, V3 does all the same stuff better.

v1 makes me hate this game tbh.

I think 34 is an integral piece of V3's gameplay and V1 suffer because it doesnt really have a good special to use after 34 .

I play V3 but I rarely do 34~DB3(amp) and will usually opt to do 34~Necroblast(amp) because many people tend to jump if you hit the 34 at max range.
Beyond the 34, V3's main game plan is basically to tag and retreat until you have meter. It's a lot of footsies and 50/50s for a small payoff.

Since V2 can not only do the 34~Necroblast(amp) to control spacing, but can also do 34~BF3(amp) for more damage, I'm slowly starting to gravitate towards V2 over V3.

I mean what do you really lose when you switch from V3 to V2?
  • Soul Shattering club....sure but it's not like I correctly predict when they are about to breakaway anyway lol
  • Leetha stance ... As an AA it's too slow, do it too close and it's punishable, sure you can catch people blocking high sometimes.
  • Command grab ... Invisibility is a bit of a gimmick but can be beneficial and other than B1~Command grab when they block the first hit and stand up, it's not super crucial to have.
  • DB3 low ... Sad to see it go away ill be honest
Because of the low damage of V3, you CONSTANTLY have to play footsies and avoid getting out-footsied, which can be hard when facing an opponent which has range tools like yours & the damage to back it up. With V2, you can play that range footsie game and have the damage to end the round much quicker than V3
It's good to see someone that actually has a lick of sense.

Sorry it took so long guys, I had a lot on my plate in my personal life, but Im ready to do that write up:

V1 Spawn needs Necro Blast or another standard projectile to be a zoning variation. Currently, guns are pointless and Dive kick is just a dive kick. No reason to pick V1, V3 does all the same stuff better.

Yes! Thank you. Guns are pointless. Did you read my post?

Glad to see other people shitting on V1. As cool as it looks its a bit of a train wreck. Like maybe low gun shot either needs to hit full screen on enhanced OR it needs to hit mid. Hell in my dream world make it safe(ish) like Baraka's chop chop or Devorah's poky thing or Frost's spin thing. However I think as long as Spawn has his corner forward throw KB NRS will be petrified of him and he will receive no buffs. That is my drunken prediction.

Glad to see other people shitting on V1. As cool as it looks its a bit of a train wreck. Like maybe low gun shot either needs to hit full screen on enhanced OR it needs to hit mid. Hell in my dream world make it safe(ish) like Baraka's chop chop or Devorah's poky thing or Frost's spin thing. However I think as long as Spawn has his corner forward throw KB NRS will be petrified of him and he will receive no buffs. That is my drunken prediction.
If the Blaze of Glory was safe and Gun Blazing went full screen then they would actually be useful and no useless. Fix the frame data so his mix wasn't fuzzyable. The V1 would actually be playable.

I find that V3 is the most comfortable to play out of the 3 variations. Having a hard time opening people up with V2. V1 starter -> db1 mixups are not fast enough to be viable against good opponents and is super unsafe on block even amped.

I find that V3 is the most comfortable to play out of the 3 variations. Having a hard time opening people up with V2. V1 starter -> db1 mixups are not fast enough to be viable against good opponents and is super unsafe on block even amped.
B1 and F4 staggers into grab are great ways to open people up with V2. After a restand you also have a ton of pressure options to go into which all lead to grabs. I've been playing V2 like you play Johnny Cage.

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
Dunno why people are shitting on V1 lmao It's acutally pretty good.

This is not true. You have BF3, DB1/DB1 cancel and if you hit 34 at max range it combos into BF2, being the most meterless damage you can get from 34, in V1.

He doesn't need Necroblast, the variation is fine as it is. The guns ain't bad at all, DB1 has decent range for it's uses, BF1 it will always connect the AMP version even if the 1st hit tags the opponent. BF1 gives the best meterless damage out of B12 24 and pushes them away.

By playing this variation, in time, you'll play at the ranges for his best normals - B1/F2/3/F4

This variation isn't meant to be zoning, in fact, Spawn isn't a zoning character.

V1 has more damage than V3 and DB <3

All his variations are good imho I just prefer V1. Been rocking it on KL!