What's new

Spanish phrases in Mortal Kombat 4

Mgo

Noob
Mostly of them are perfectly audibles, few are somewhat dubious

• Ay, Mami = Ouch, mummy.
  • Toca el piano = Play the piano.
  • Déjame quieto = Leave me alone.
  • ¿Quién puso ese pedazo de hielo alpino ahí? = Who put this piece of alpine ice there?
  • Cuídame = Care for me.
  • No me toque = Don't touch me.
  • Rayos = Damn.
  • ...., coño = ...pussy.
Others that aren't in the video
  • Coman acá = Eat here. (JarexThrow)
  • Mira que lo tengo = Look I got it. (when Scorpion pulls out his sword)
  • Marrallo Parta = That lightning split me. (don't remember when)

Last edited:

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Couldnt help thinking that they were the worst spanish translation there. Any reason to them being censored? Here in greece we translate them what exactly they say.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
Couldnt help thinking that they were the worst spanish translation there. Any reason to them being censored? Here in greece we translate them what exactly they say.
Wait, did they translate that? I always thought the original game had those sounds and were intended to seem like gibberish. Have I been playing a weirdly translated version of this game my whole life without knowing?

Mgo

Noob
Wait, did they translate that? I always thought the original game had those sounds and were intended to seem like gibberish. Have I been playing a weirdly translated version of this game my whole life without knowing?
what the fuck? No. Lol. Is the original game like that (with gibberish + english + spanish phrases). No translations at all.

zerosebaz

what the fuck? No. Lol. Is the original game like that (with gibberish + english + spanish phrases). No translations at all.
Thank god! He freaked me out for a little bit.

I still don't understand why would they translate that in the greek version, the point was to not understand it.

zerosebaz

to be honest, i didnt understand the first reply :D
Yeah, it's all gotten a bit confusing.

So, Tanno said this was a bad spanish translation, and that the greek version is better.
That made me think perhaps I had played a version where this phrases were translated into spanish, and that in the original game they were in English.
You clarified that this is how it is in the English version of the game.

So, the thing to resolve is:

In the greek version, are this phrases in spanish translated into greek, or did I misunderstand Tanno's post?

Reactions: Mgo

Mgo

Noob
Yeah, it's all gotten a bit confusing.

So, Tanno said this was a bad spanish translation, and that the greek version is better.
That made me think perhaps I had played a version where this phrases were translated into spanish, and that in the original game they were in English.
You clarified that this is how it is in the English version of the game.

So, the thing to resolve is:

In the greek version, are this phrases in spanish translated into greek, or did I misunderstand Tanno's post?
weird lol, we expect him to post

Mgo

Noob
changing subject I remember heard the last one "Marrallo Parta" on Mortal Kombat Gold but since I didnt found I use a PSX MK4 clip :p

Tanno

I meant the English to Greek translation, not the English to Spanish. I meant the way they got translated into Spanish with other words than what the English language said was the worst one. Sorry for the confusion.

Tanno

hahahahahahaha

Sometimes we still use the english phrases in offline gatherings

edit: no game was ever translated in greek back then and we don't mind
True, it's not the fighting games that got translated. It's the other games. God of War III, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, etc. I DO mind, because I know a lot of people that do not know shit of the English language, and want to play such games.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Ya finding this out only today? Check Quan in deadly alliance.

Power-up
Yo voy te dar una batata - I'm going to give you a potato
Vai robar una camisa - Go steal a shirt.

Lokheit

Noob
I think it's "Quieto (which means stop or be still) coño" (expression that exists in spanish to ask someone to stop moving with the expletive to add urgency or agressiveness) rather than "Quiero coño" (I want pussy). "Quieto" also makes sense considering the context of that fatality and is also used on other gibberish phrases.

The "marrallo parta" I think it's a speed up version of "mal rayo te parta" (roughly translated to bad ray breaks you) another spanish expression that is used to wish bad things to another person.

Also the "batata" one is probably patata. Batata is yam and patata potato (when I was a kid I remember how disappointed I was when I tried "batatas" thinking it would taste like a "patata").

My favorite one was Quan Chi in Armageddon saying "a la carga!!" (charge!!) and it was an option on kustom charactet which of course I used on mine being spanish.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
True, it's not the fighting games that got translated. It's the other games. God of War III, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, etc. I DO mind, because I know a lot of people that do not know shit of the English language, and want to play such games.
I said BACK THEN, I referred to MK4 era.
It wasnt god of war 3, it was GOW Ascension.
Why do YOU mind since OTHER ppl have the problem?
Games are great opportunities to learn a language, you should encourage them to learn from playing.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
In MK9, Raiden occasionally says something that sounds like "Por allá!" in combat.
IDK if there are more spanish phrases in MK9 but that one comes to mind.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Caya por el cielo was the most dificult to get for me, i wasn't even sure what that was.

So it is, Voy a romper la camisa and not vai robar una camisa.

Good stuff, i'm got partially because i speak portuguese, since both language came from latin, its one of these that you don't need to be born in spain to understand, once they're pretty similar, same as dutch and german.