What's new

[SoulTaker] Screaming Soul Cancels

Can NRS please stop making these no-combo variations? He literally has 4 abilities that function as combo extenders and they made a variation with none.

I was really looking forward to this type of healing/methodical playstyle but god damn it's just another spec with no combo damage. Every single variation that doesn't have an extender is massively outclassed by the variation that does.

Noob Saibot = Dark Sabbath
Kotal Kahn = 1st Variation
Erron Black = 52 Kard Pickup
Kano = Ripper
Frost = Ice Machine
Raiden = Thunder Wave (Raijin seems aight tho, literally the only time this could work)
Shang Tsung = Soultaker

This game is amazing and an absolute blast to play but I feel like if they don't put a lid on this variation non-sense REAL soon, this game is going to spoil.

EDIT: Also, while I'm ranting, can NRS also fix the issue with any buff/on-screen effect being removed on Krushing Blow? If you drop his soul well, it goes away on Krushing Blow. That's terrible.
I'm not that familiar with much of the cast, but for what characters are both variations considered to be relatively equal in viability, or are basically up to user preference? I know I've heard it said about Geras at least, how many others are there?

Last edited:
So I'm holding out for this variation because I like the idea of a chip/regen style game that uses his plus frames well. Not had much success honestly, but I will say that I think the unmodified db1 is not being talked about enough here. IMO its the reason to take this variation. ~50 damage on chip (mb), safe on block good pushback compliments the slow plan very well. I just wish I had the unmodified bf1 and the unmodified db1 in the same variation. (my personal preference is to keep the soul container, because I love the cheese factor it brings)

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Damn bro not tryin to throw shade at you here but it wasn’t until 20 seconds were left in the first video anything variation specific came into play... which was two projectiles. The video just consisted until that point of one string d4 and a throw. Shangs highest damage (as far as I know) comes off standing 1 for the most part which is real strange and he can get huge damage off anti airs. The other variation just soooo much better don’t know how anyone can contest. If that projectile was a mid would be different game since it’s slow as hell.
Hey! I don't take offence at all, I'm always open to criticism of my gameplay.

With that being said, what do you want from this variation? If you want zoning then warlock is your guy, if you want more rushdown then SoulTaker is your guy. With DB1(AMP version) and DB3 being safe on block and adding that most of his block strings are either plus on block or safe on block he is definitely rushdown heavy with this variation.

And let's not forget this man has a mix of low and overhead blockstrings, so I don't know about you but it would definitely be a nightmare to have him in your face.

DC King

Noob
Hey! I don't take offence at all, I'm always open to criticism of my gameplay.

With that being said, what do you want from this variation? If you want zoning then warlock is your guy, if you want more rushdown then SoulTaker is your guy. With DB1(AMP version) and DB3 being safe on block and adding that most of his block strings are either plus on block or safe on block he is definitely rushdown heavy with this variation.

And let's not forget this man has a mix of low and overhead blockstrings, so I don't know about you but it would definitely be a nightmare to have him in your face.
I’m not a top player maybe average but I like to play this variation as a sorta hybrid. I try to control characters that like to get in close with Crashing Flames (db1) cause it has a start up of 15f and does good chip damage.

I rarely use Scatter Souls (df3 start up 28f -6 on blk) cause I don’t wanna get in to the habit of doing it and get full combo’d if the opponent reads it.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
I’m not a top player maybe average but I like to play this variation as a sorta hybrid. I try to control characters that like to get in close with Crashing Flames (db1) cause it has a start up of 15f and does good chip damage.

I rarely use Scatter Souls (df3 start up 28f -6 on blk) cause I don’t wanna get in to the habit of doing it and get full combo’d if the opponent reads it.
I could see that, definitely against characters like Jax, Geras or Kotal Kahn, its just that I have been playing Kombat League for the past couple days; so just being running into Liu Kang's, Sonya's, Jade's as of late. So my opinion is a little bit bias to my experience.

Yea, Scatter Shot is definitely a special you use after you've conditioned your opponent to keep blocking or poke at the wrong time.

DC King

Noob
I could see that, definitely against characters like Jax, Geras or Kotal Kahn, its just that I have been playing Kombat League for the past couple days; so just being running into Liu Kang's, Sonya's, Jade's as of late. So my opinion is a little bit bias to my experience.

Yea, Scatter Shot is definitely a special you use after you've conditioned your opponent to keep blocking or poke at the wrong time.
Oh believe me I know the feeling. Just ran into Dragon and got mopped (hate you Cetrion) and after that 2 straight Scorpions. Been playing KL since it started and I’ve faced endless Scorpion, Jade, Liu Kang and Jax players. It’s a struggle but one I enjoy now I’m off to watch that akicking I just took to see what I could’ve did better

I'm not that familiar with much of the cast, but for what characters are both variations considered to be relatively equal in viability, or are basically up to user preference? I know I've heard it said about Geras at least, how many others are there?
Off the top of my head:
Kung Lao
Jade (her 2nd variation is sort of a mess though)
Baraka
Jax
Cetrion
Scorpion
Sub-Zero
Shao Kahn (kinda)
Skarlet
Geras
Kabal
Cassie Cage

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I could write somewhat of a lengthy post on how I think SoulTaker should be played but I think the best thing I should do is to show you a video or two of my playstyle. Hopefully it can give you an idea how to approach this variation.

Thanks for sharing your gameplay.
I wouldn't use F242 as much because its punishable by 7f starters and Flawless Blocks.
He also gets pretty good damage off SS cancels and Amped DF3 about 28% midscreen. But I've been using B11/ xx SSC B3U4/B3D4 when I get in close to open em up. Ending the Cancels in 112 after they are conditioned is pretty strong being +6 which allows you to follow with:
B3U4/B3D4/3U2 xx DB1 Amp for at least 20% and around 8% chip but if you use cancels you can get about 12% chip.
If you can find ways to condition DF3 Amp from what ever starter than has hitstun its incredibly plus on hit and about +10 ob. If you hit with Amp DF3 you can combo from near fullscreen into cancels if you want the pressure or BnB DB1 amp ended but I like to end with DB2 to get the Heals going after.

BTW that DF3 has different properties on block when used multiple times. I fully believe Spellmaster is being slept on or just completely overlooked because it doesn't have Warlocks combo potential or Corpse Drop.

S3 is an amazing button it has a disjointed hitbox which steps back during recovery which helps him avoid moves and wiff punish moves, its also his best Anti Air and generally has a strong hitbox with his hurtbox being very far behind his max range, if I'm not mistaken I think s3U2 gets him the best damage for combos.

Thanks for sharing your gameplay.
I wouldn't use F242 as much because its punishable by 7f starters and Flawless Blocks.
He also gets pretty good damage off SS cancels and Amped DF3 about 28% midscreen. But I've been using B11/ xx SSC B3U4/B3D4 when I get in close to open em up. Ending the Cancels in 112 after they are conditioned is pretty strong being +6 which allows you to follow with:
B3U4/B3D4/3U2 xx DB1 Amp for at least 20% and around 8% chip but if you use cancels you can get about 12% chip.
If you can find ways to condition DF3 Amp from what ever starter than has hitstun its incredibly plus on hit and about +10 ob. If you hit with Amp DF3 you can combo from near fullscreen into cancels if you want the pressure or BnB DB1 amp ended but I like to end with DB2 to get the Heals going after.

BTW that DF3 has different properties on block when used multiple times. I fully believe Spellmaster is being slept on or just completely overlooked because it doesn't have Warlocks combo potential or Corpse Drop.

S3 is an amazing button it has a disjointed hitbox which steps back during recovery which helps him avoid moves and wiff punish moves, its also his best Anti Air and generally has a strong hitbox with his hurtbox being very far behind his max range, if I'm not mistaken I think s3U2 gets him the best damage for combos.
Could you clarify a bit of this for me? It seems like you're saying he can get full combos off of his cancels mid-screen, which I'm not aware of.

BTW that DF3 has different properties on block when used multiple times.
Whoah, what? Are you saying it's like Johnny Cages db4 in his primary variation? That's the move that becomes unblockable after it is blocked twice.

Shangs df3 has it's own properties like this as the opponent blocks it more?

I'm honestly ready to drop this variation after playing his other more, but this would be interesting

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Could you clarify a bit of this for me? It seems like you're saying he can get full combos off of his cancels mid-screen, which I'm not aware of.
I don't believe he can get combo from his SS cancel but off DF3 amp he can. I maybe worded that poorly sorry for the confusion. But those cancels are still pretty strong. The SS cancels get good chip and anything into db1 on hit nets 20% but DF3 amp on hit lands 29% or more

Whoah, what? Are you saying it's like Johnny Cages db4 in his primary variation? That's the move that becomes unblockable after it is blocked twice.

Shangs df3 has it's own properties like this as the opponent blocks it more?

I'm honestly ready to drop this variation after playing his other more, but this would be interesting
Answering my own question, since I was able to test this yesterday. Shangs df3 properties do NOT change after consecutive blocks by the opponent. It's always the same -6 on block, unless you hold the button to charge it further. It's not like Johnny's db4.

I really think this move if garbage in it's normal form. NRS really needs to make it absorb projectiles or something.

I feel like this variation is better if you plan to be up close and plan to be blocked more. The crashing meteors are pretty good, only a few I have tested can punish it at distance.

Corpse drop is a mu defining move though, so it's hard to make the trade off currently. Maybe against scorpion and hard teleport characters this variation will shine more?

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
how do you guys set up / absorb the soul well safely? i also feel like they have to make the df3 cancel faster as it gets stuffed easily by mash happy players.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Im gonna make this variation work, just need to figure out best ways to hitconfirm after his cancels for optimal dmg. F24 after cancels sucks cause u dont get anything off when they jump and even gets u full combo punished if u complete the string