What's new

[SoulTaker] Screaming Soul Cancels

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
The first number is the block advantage W/O Screaming Soul Cancel and second is the block advantage W/ Screaming Soul Cancel

Command Normals
B1 - -2/-3
B2 - -6/-6
F2 - -3/-5
B3 - -9/-9

Kombo Strings
1,1 - -3/-15
1,1,3 - -8/-8
B1,1 - -11/-11
2,1 - -5/-4
F2,4 - -11/-8
3,U2 - -14/-9
B3,U4 - -6/-10

If you have any question about the cancels or what not, just tag me in this thread or PM.

Love & Peace! :D

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Fire and Brimstone was gonna be the main to use, but after labbing this and among other things; this is the one for me.

I can't believe I'm saying this but NRS knocked it out of the park with the first DLC.
The other variation, is straight forward, Shinnok like. This one will require creativity, better execution, and solid footie game.
Side notes:
The db2 health regenerator is massive tool imo.
The bf ex 1 is +66 restanding special, that works great in the Corner.

I like to think he won't get touched badly during the phase of patches.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
This one will require creativity, better execution, and solid footie game.
I think you just hit the nail in the coffin on why I like this variation more.

The bf ex 1 is +66 restanding special, that works great in the Corner.
I'm a little confused on the input that you're talking about because that input you're speaking of is Screaming Soul and neither the regular version or Amplified version (Da LAZER) restands or is +66 in hit adv.

BUT, his Scatter Souls Amplified version does do that and has enough hit advantage to where you can dash up twice and get F242 combo if your opponent is in the corner.

What's the deal with the non-ex df3 move in this variation? I know it can be canceled or held for more damage.

However I really don't see a point to it. Does it stop/absorb projectiles?

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I think you just hit the nail in the coffin on why I like this variation more.

I'm a little confused on the input that you're talking about because that input you're speaking of is Screaming Soul and neither the regular version or Amplified version (Da LAZER) restands or is +66 in hit adv.

BUT, his Scatter Souls Amplified version does do that and has enough hit advantage to where you can dash up twice and get F242 combo if your opponent is in the corner.

Sorry, I was on my way to the hospital and messed up the specials. The df3 ex is plus thousand. You can even land jip link.

I will post more in the generals thread, to not OT here.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
What's the deal with the non-ex df3 move in this variation? I know it can be canceled or held for more damage.

However I really don't see a point to it. Does it stop/absorb projectiles?
Its a safe way to end a string since its only -6 on block. It doesn't do anything else except the two things that you just mentioned. It's still early with Shang Tsung's tools, but I'm pretty sure the charges of Scatter Souls are pretty useless, I could be wrong. . .

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Ok. Real quick, misinformation is one of the biggest killers in the NRS community, I've seen it happen a lot and sometimes I just let it go cuz it's not worth arguing with people who are not willing to listen.
-----------
With that out of the way, here I go:
As 7:00 PM EST, DB3 a.k.a Scatter Soul is STILL -6 on block. It was never plus to begin with or more or less negative on block. When the character was released it was still -6 on block.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Is there anything special about the projectile in this variation? Seems bad unless amp’d Andy it become great.

I feel like this variation is JUST this side of being good. Like between the chargeable/cancellable moves, the laser, and the jar setting up near-full-screen BnBs, it seems like it just needs a little tech to be found for it to suddenly be really solid.

Sure wish I thought we were gonna find tech like that...

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
DF3 Amp is plus at range, that's what they meant. If you go for it at full screen and they block, you get to at least be +10 or more.

My gameplan with this variation has been to zone/counter zone with BF1, BF1 Amp and Jar and try to force respect with DB1 and Soul Steal to get mid ranged offense going. Once they respect it more you can go for more F2s, F3s and F4s. The healing makes your reward for winning zoning wars(when possible) much higher and makes morphing more appealing IMO. DB1 is really good and gives Shang much more safety than what is afforded in the other variation, though look out for whiffing issues.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Here's Scorpion's only losing matchup tbh. Someone that can pressure him AND steal his teleport and combo damage to fuck him up.

DeftMonk

Noob
Its a safe way to end a string since its only -6 on block. It doesn't do anything else except the two things that you just mentioned. It's still early with Shang Tsung's tools, but I'm pretty sure the charges of Scatter Souls are pretty useless, I could be wrong. . .
Push back becomes greater on block I noticed. Not much else... honestly I really wanted to use that variation but I think it’s a pile of crap. Reasons being: projectile cancel is off of a high so there’s no real reason for anyone to hold that pressure ever just do something that would low profile the projectile. Projectile startup is insaaaanely long you will get outzoned badly in many matchups. The df3 move is more of a threat but the cancel is too slow to use for anything and that ex df3 is so slow if u ever hit anyone with it, they are so bad u likely could win with jump kick and sweep alone. The biggest reason: no corpse drop. Corpse drop is a real real good addition to shang’s normals in my opinion.

Can NRS please stop making these no-combo variations? He literally has 4 abilities that function as combo extenders and they made a variation with none.

I was really looking forward to this type of healing/methodical playstyle but god damn it's just another spec with no combo damage. Every single variation that doesn't have an extender is massively outclassed by the variation that does.

Noob Saibot = Dark Sabbath
Kotal Kahn = 1st Variation
Erron Black = 52 Kard Pickup
Kano = Ripper
Frost = Ice Machine
Raiden = Thunder Wave (Raijin seems aight tho, literally the only time this could work)
Shang Tsung = Soultaker

This game is amazing and an absolute blast to play but I feel like if they don't put a lid on this variation non-sense REAL soon, this game is going to spoil.

EDIT: Also, while I'm ranting, can NRS also fix the issue with any buff/on-screen effect being removed on Krushing Blow? If you drop his soul well, it goes away on Krushing Blow. That's terrible.

Last edited:

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Push back becomes greater on block I noticed. Not much else... honestly I really wanted to use that variation but I think it’s a pile of crap. Reasons being: projectile cancel is off of a high so there’s no real reason for anyone to hold that pressure ever just do something that would low profile the projectile. Projectile startup is insaaaanely long you will get outzoned badly in many matchups. The df3 move is more of a threat but the cancel is too slow to use for anything and that ex df3 is so slow if u ever hit anyone with it, they are so bad u likely could win with jump kick and sweep alone. The biggest reason: no corpse drop. Corpse drop is a real real good addition to shang’s normals in my opinion.
I could write somewhat of a lengthy post on how I think SoulTaker should be played but I think the best thing I should do is to show you a video or two of my playstyle. Hopefully it can give you an idea how to approach this variation.

DeftMonk

Noob
I could write somewhat of a lengthy post on how I think SoulTaker should be played but I think the best thing I should do is to show you a video or two of my playstyle. Hopefully it can give you an idea how to approach this variation.

Damn bro not tryin to throw shade at you here but it wasn’t until 20 seconds were left in the first video anything variation specific came into play... which was two projectiles. The video just consisted until that point of one string d4 and a throw. Shangs highest damage (as far as I know) comes off standing 1 for the most part which is real strange and he can get huge damage off anti airs. The other variation just soooo much better don’t know how anyone can contest. If that projectile was a mid would be different game since it’s slow as hell.