What's new

Question Sonya vs. Sektor

Justice

Noob
Hi guys! I have an important match coming up with a good Sektor player and I have little clue how to fight this. Add to that the general consensus is that it's 4-6 in Sektor's favor. So I was hoping you nice folks could help me out with tips and strategies that Sonya could use vs. Sektor?

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
"general consensus" you mean maxter? cause just about every other sektor agrees its 6-4 sonya's favor

killa_solid

Friendly--foe
I am all for Sonya downplaying but I cannot bring myself to deny this. Sektor loses this bad, maybe 7-3 even.

There isn't really much advice to say in this mu really. Just be patient get in, corner sektor and do what Sonya does best.
She can avoid the second hit of b43 and punish but it's distance dependent so be careful about that.
I will add more stuff if I can think of anything, it's kind late and I am tired and I cant think well right now.

NKZero

Noob
Hi guys! I have an important match coming up with a good Sektor player and I have little clue how to fight this. Add to that the general consensus is that it's 4-6 in Sektor's favor. So I was hoping you nice folks could help me out with tips and strategies that Sonya could use vs. Sektor?
It's 4-6 for Sektor so Sonya wins this MU.

From Sonya's perspective you have two moves that really cause Sektor (as it does many characters) problems: D4 and EX cartwheel. EX cartwheel is great for blowing through Sektor's footsie tools like F2, B21, B34, B1 etc. EX cartwheel is also a good counter to the homing missile so Sektor players cannot always get guaranteed follow-up pressure off homing/up missiles. Use it sparingly though otherwise the more you waste meter, the easier it is for Sektor to gain a foothold in this MU.

As for D4, well it simply out ranges everything he has, and it may force Sektor into more predictable mobility to get around this. Sektor does have flame burner to counter it so watch out for that. When you block flame burner at anything closer than max range, you should get anything from a free D4-MS mix-up to a full combo punish depending on where you blocked it. Really scout flame burner out and either you get what I mentioned above or if you are in the right range you can blow it up with EX cartwheel.

Sonya's projectile is also useful because it cannot be iaTU'd. Now if you are too predictable with it a Sektor player is never afraid to iaTU on read and get a potential big punish so use it cautiously. For the most part it is abusable though and will win trades against the straight missile and is good at stuffing Sektor out of the up missile.

Those are the main things to take into consideration. I hope this helps for now and I do eventually plan on writing the detailed MU in my Sektor MU thread (just have other characters to get to first). If you have further questions, please ask via. this thread or inbox.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Add to that the general consensus is that it's 4-6 in Sektor's favor.
Incorrect. The general consensus is that Sonya wins 6-4...in fact, it could be 7-3 like killa_solid said.

Whenever I play this match-up, Sektor doesn't give me much to be concerned about. His lack of armor makes it difficult to maintain some rushdown against Sonya, and random Teleport Uppercuts are obviously a bad idea as a blocked one results in a full combo punish leading to a Military Stance mix-up. Even Sektor's missile set-ups do little to nothing against a smart Sonya player. I would also say that Sektor has this little aggravation with his 1 2 b1 string sometimes cutting out even when the first hit of the string actually connects, and it doesn't only happen against Sonya. Knowing this, he's forced to use a lesser damaging punish off his b3 4 string.

You only have to be careful of the Flamethrower when rushing Sektor down, as it can punish even whiffed d4s. As NKZero already said, block it and you get a free d4 MS f1. Corner Sektor and he's fuckin' done - not even his EX Teleport Uppercut will help as a blocked one leaves him at enough disadvantage to be thrown back into the corner. Hell, his Wake-Ups are horrid, period. (sorry, Sektor players)

No fear in this match-up, fellow Blade.

Justice

Noob
"general consensus" you mean maxter? cause just about every other sektor agrees its 6-4 sonya's favor
Sorry about that. I looked up the numbers in the Sonya Matchup Thread and I guess I read them wrong at like 3am :p Kongrr had it at 4-6 Sektor but others had it at either 5-5 or 6-4.
Even Sektor's missile set-ups do little to nothing against a smart Sonya player.

You only have to be careful of the Flamethrower when rushing Sektor down, as it can punish even whiffed d4s. As NKZero already said, block it and you get a free d4 MS f1. Corner Sektor and he's fuckin' done - not even his EX Teleport Uppercut will help as a blocked one leaves him at enough disadvantage to be thrown back into the corner. Hell, his Wake-Ups are horrid, period. (sorry, Sektor players)

No fear in this match-up, fellow Blade.
So I guess I'm screwed then :oops: Any tips on how to deal with the missile set-ups? I can see myself falling for these since I have only the AI to practice with :(

D4s
You can 114 him out of his B34 and 12B1
MS Mixups on block
Stay just outside flamethrower range, that way you can throw rings
So this is my basic strategy? All of this and remembering to bait the Flamethrower and Tele?

And thanks for all the tips guys! I really appreciate it :D

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Sorry about that. I looked up the numbers in the Sonya Matchup Thread and I guess I read them wrong at like 3am :p Kongrr had it at 4-6 Sektor but others had it at either 5-5 or 6-4.

So I guess I'm screwed then :oops: Any tips on how to deal with the missile set-ups? I can see myself falling for these since I have only the AI to
Roll and block for the most part..

I personally just use up missile to build meter against opponents that know how to deal with them.

PS: I thought this thread was going to be to help Sektor players not Sonyas... lol.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Sorry :( I just figured that Sektor players would know more about beating Sektor than Sonya players
Understandable. I just figured it's easier to see Sektor's limitations than Sonya's in this match up.

I just expected to find a Sektor player wanting to know how to play the match up. Sonya has all her tools available to her here except mindless ring toss.

I'd say be careful with any ring toss against a Sektor that's on point with iatp..

Justice

Noob
Understandable. I just figured it's easier to see Sektor's limitations than Sonya's in this match up.

I just expected to find a Sektor player wanting to know how to play the match up. Sonya has all her tools available to her here except mindless ring toss.

I'd say be careful with any ring toss against a Sektor that's on point with iatp..
Best thing I can say is don't get cornered. The advice I've been given is that once sonya has sektor in the corner, there's squat he can do. Even EX Telepunch is punishable on the downswing (last half). Also, Flamethrower is your best friend here. It hits mid so Sonya can't D4 around it. Like with any special though, don't spam or it's punishable on block with Kartwheel or an IA Dive Kick starter if Sektor's read is really bad.

Speaking of Dive Kick, be very wary of up-missile if Sonya is within jump distance as she can IaDK Sektor's chest while he's tossing the missile.

Probably not telling you anything you don't already know, but I thought I'd try to help since you guys have been soo nice to me :D

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
This match was stupid. You get cornered and it is OVER.

True, but the same can be said for some other match-ups regardless of what fighting game it is. Corner games can even favor the character who loses the match-up. Let me direct you to Shang Tsung vs. Sonya as an example. :(

I doubt I even need to tell you this, but we must consider more than just the corner game when determining match-ups.