What's new

Tech - Special Forces Sonya (Special Forces) Tech

Abil4ty

Hawaii
(No meters were harmed in the making of this video)

Well.. i wanted to wait to see if anyone else would discover this. but i guess i have to will spill what i have haha.
I'm not sure if this is optimized damage, but it works fine & its very annoying to deal with online.

I personally prefer special forces over the other two , because drone homing missile is just too good.

Think of it as having a dr.doom hidden missile on the screen.
It's instant startup, breaks you out of combos or grabs, keep pressure, force them to block, used as meaty, stuffs wake-ups, in the corner you can get juggle on hit. It's just too good.

Low kamikaze lauches the opponent and its a low. so its great for starting combos. especially cancelling after high/low strings like "b1,4" which is just like magnetos tri jump high>low. (very difficult to block)

In the corner 2,1,3,4 leaves the opponent down long enough to call drone w/ missile or do b1(overhead) starter or b3(low) starter.

1& 2: Corner combo with "safe homing missile setup" or "meaty vortex"

3: Mid-screen side switch = b1, 4 > 4+block, f2 > bf4
4: Mid-screen corner carry = b1 ,4 > 4+block, db4
5: Safe drone call = ji1, d2, b3, 3, 2, 1, 2, drone

I wanna see what you guys can do to make this better. Nobody posted this yet so here ya go.
Comments and questions would be appreciated.

Hidden Missileeeeee!

Last edited:

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
I still need to lab more midsceen combos but these are actually really good.

However in the corner I do:
B14>low kamikaze> 12,12,12>call drone
Then you have enough time to meaty their wake up, call homing missle, or call the quick shot overhead. Rinse and repeat. I'm gonna make a guide on this stance once I lab some more.

Good to see there's something here for Sonya's SF variation. Currently testing to see if there's anything I can add here. Those combos are slick. All I have so far is to start with the low kamikaze and then use b2 right after to launch. The one I find to be a consistent ender is 2,1,U4. I do have a sort of decent one here: jump in 2 then immediate air drop> b+3, 3, 2> low kamikaze> b+2> 2, 1, U+4.

It gets 35%, still working on other stuff. So hopefully I'll have more to add here soon. It's also mid-screen, forgot to mention that.

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
Good to see there's something here for Sonya's SF variation. Currently testing to see if there's anything I can add here. Those combos are slick. All I have so far is to start with the low kamikaze and then use b2 right after to launch. The one I find to be a consistent ender is 2,1,U4. I do have a sort of decent one here: jump in 2 then immediate air drop> b+3, 3, 2> low kamikaze> b+2> 2, 1, U+4.

It gets 35%, still working on other stuff. So hopefully I'll have more to add here soon. It's also mid-screen, forgot to mention that.
Very nice! I hadn't thought of using the drone during a string. I just thought of starting a combo with the drone.

A good thing about 2,1,U+4 is that after you land it, you should be able to safely set up a homing missile or safely summon a drone against most characters. I haven't tested teleport characters yet, but I know Sub-Zero can punish with MB slide.

Very nice! I hadn't thought of using the drone during a string. I just thought of starting a combo with the drone.

A good thing about 2,1,U+4 is that after you land it, you should be able to safely set up a homing missile or safely summon a drone against most characters. I haven't tested teleport characters yet, but I know Sub-Zero can punish with MB slide.
I haven't thought of any setups with the homing missile yet (kind of lost on how to work it in); got any tips on using it effectively?

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I haven't thought of any setups with the homing missile yet (kind of lost on how to work it in); got any tips on using it effectively?
Not quite yet. Setting it up in the corner is pretty easy, you just get a hard knockdown like 1,2,4 or 2,1,3,4 and activate the missile. You've got enough time to block any wakeup the opponent tries, and if they choose to block, you can set up a high/low mixup. I don't think the drone has enough time to recover for you to use it during your mix-up combo if it lands...

Setting up the missile midscreen is where I'm having trouble. I was playing a friend yesterday who was using Tigrar Fury Goro, and after I would hit a hard knockdown string mid screen, I'd launch the missile. On wakeup, he'd shoot a fireball, and I couldn't really advance fast enough to capitalize on my homing missile pressure.

Also, since making my last post I've found difficulty using the drone mid-combo. I guess I just need to brush up on my execution, but trying to use the drone after something like b+3,3,2 or b+1,4, I try to input 4+block after those strings, and I get it maybe 40% of the time.

delbuster

hungry
the window to cancel strings on block and on hit are different timings. it's hard to figure out which one to do in the middle of a match

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Ok so I just started picking up SF Sonya and here are some of the findings I got from being in training mode for a few hours:
1. If you call homing missile and you press a button at the same time as the missile hits the opponent, you actually cancel the pop animation of the opponent. It sounds weird when you do it in training mode. It's not really practical cause I tried for like an hour or two, and I only got it to happen a few times at most.

2. I'm going to use an example for this to try to explain this the best I can: If I landed B14, you can cancel into homing missile and in the frames in which you finish it, you can actually put a 1 or a 2 and it will combo. So you can do B14~Missile, 121 into whatever you want. Just know that the missile will pop up mid combo. 1 is easier to land even though 2 is a faster normal. I'll try to post a video on it to show this and the one above it.

Under this will be a post of combos I found or tried to optimized based off what people posted before me:
SF Variation combos:

Midscreen
With drones
B14~Low Kamikaze, Run, 2134, Call Drones = 24%

11~Low Kamikaze, Run, 2134, Call Drones = 23%

213~Low Kamikaze, Run, 2134, Call Drones = 26%

B332~Low Kamikaze, Run 2134, Call Drones = 28%

Corner
With drones
B14~Low Kamikaze, 12, 12, 12, 2134, Call Drones = 33%

121~Low Kamikaze, 21, 12, 12, 2134, Call Drones = 34%

213~Low Kamikaze, 21, 12, 12, 2134, Call Drones = 34%

B332~Low Kamikaze, 21, 12, 12, 2134, Call Drones = 35%

Homing Missile, 12, 12, 12, 2134, Call Drones = 26%

I currently working on midscreen and corner without drones....So I'll update this later...Side note, the 11~low kamikaze in midscreen, it's the only string that combos into low kamikaze midscreen so I only suggest doing it as as punish.

Last edited:

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Ok so I just started picking up SF Sonya and here are some of the findings I got from being in training mode for a few hours:
1. If you call homing missile and you press a button at the same time as the missile hits the opponent, you actually cancel the pop animation of the opponent. It sounds weird when you do it in training mode. It's not really practical cause I tried for like an hour or two, and I only got it to happen a few times at most.

2. I'm going to use an example for this to try to explain this the best I can: If I landed B14, you can cancel into homing missile and in the frames in which you finish it, you can actually put a 1 or a 2 and it will combo. So you can do B14~Missile, 121 into whatever you want. Just know that the missile will pop up mid combo. 1 is easier to land even though 2 is a faster normal. I'll try to post a video on it to show this and the one above it.

Under this will be a post of combos I found or tried to optimized based off what people posted before me:
MIdscreen

Corner

I will update this post when I get home with more findings and more combos tonight :D
So it's like a roman cancel? That's actually awesome and could be really useful. Great find!

how the hell do i connect b14+ block 4? it did come out once but ive tried everything as fast as i can delayed but nothing..

how the hell do i connect b14+ block 4? it did come out once but ive tried everything as fast as i can delayed but nothing..
I was having the same problem with Sonya and dropping so many combos without really knowing why. Whenever I looked at my input log in practice everything seemed right. It seems that Sonya's drone attacks don't go into the input buffer like all other specials (further investigation lead me to believe it is because there are no direction inputs required for them).

So if you want to link a string into a drone attack you have to do the drone attack input on the right timing you can't just input everything like all other specials. I think it is needlessly difficult, why don't the drone attack inputs just go into the buffer?

Reactions: jmt

lslick

I was having the same problem with Sonya and dropping so many combos without really knowing why. Whenever I looked at my input log in practice everything seemed right. It seems that Sonya's drone attacks don't go into the input buffer like all other specials (further investigation lead me to believe it is because there are no direction inputs required for them).

So if you want to link a string into a drone attack you have to do the drone attack input on the right timing you can't just input everything like all other specials. I think it is needlessly difficult, why don't the drone attack inputs just go into the buffer?
In order for you to connect drone's attack you have to do the input as late as possible in the combo...If you do it too early, the drone attack won't come out...And if you do let's say 2+block, then the overhead will always comes out....The timing is different on hit and on block....It does take some time to get used to it

Sorry if I sound nooby for saying this but I usually just do all my inputs quickly like b3,3,2,bf4 and no matter how fast I do them the input buffer goes through all of them and my combo always works. Why is the drone the exception? Why can't I just input b3,3,2,4+block and let the buffer handle it like every other special (and I'm pretty sure this works with EVERY other special).

And again sorry if I sound whinny I'm a bit salty after realising this is why I've been dropping so many combos. If the mechanic stays like this I think my skill level isn't high enough to play this character as I use that input buffer a lot and can't time the inputs for the drone.

In order for you to connect drone's attack you have to do the input as late as possible in the combo...If you do it too early, the drone attack won't come out...And if you do let's say 2+block, then the overhead will always comes out....The timing is different on hit and on block....It does take some time to get used to it
nah man think about doing this online...can'T see that working when everybody poke the hell out of u not to forget the range of the overhead drone is pretty nuch ass. Was so hyped when i saw the variation in the kombat kast steam but well ,correct me if im wrong but the drone ist just a knockdown setup.

and how come quan chis bat attacks will buffer in combo but her drone wont? Don't think this was intentional cuz sometimes very rarely it connected if i inputed it just like all oder special cancels.

and how come quan chis bat attacks will buffer in combo but her drone wont?
This.

The problem I think is that the drone attacks don't have direction inputs. I came up with the reason because of a test I did:

If you do b3,3,2,4+block in the buffer (the 4+block being the kamikaze)
The game reads it as b3,3,2,4 (where the 4 is the knee attack finisher in the string)
BUT
If you do b3,3,2 ..... then do 4+block but on the correct timing window (again its like just after your last hit, way too hard for me I get it like 1/10 times) then the game will do the kamikaze with the drone.

That's why you are failing at the b1,4, 4+block. The game thinks you are doing b1,4,4 but you cant 4 after b1,4 so your character just stops.

lslick

Yeah I understand you guys frustration with the drone attacks not coming out. But like @Tachyon I think it's just the way they made it. When you input the same command as something in the string, the game reads the string before the command unfortunately...I don't know why exactly =[

This.

The problem I think is that the drone attacks don't have direction inputs. I came up with the reason because of a test I did:

If you do b3,3,2,4+block in the buffer (the 4+block being the kamikaze)
The game reads it as b3,3,2,4 (where the 4 is the knee attack finisher in the string)
BUT
If you do b3,3,2 ..... then do 4+block but on the correct timing window (again its like just after your last hit, way too hard for me I get it like 1/10 times) then the game will do the kamikaze with the drone.

That's why you are failing at the b1,4, 4+block. The game thinks you are doing b1,4,4 but you cant 4 after b1,4 so your character just stops.
exactly They have to fix this. AND i think its becuz ur using the block button for the drone instead like quan chi the stance button.

exactly They have to fix this. AND i think its becuz ur using the block button for the drone instead like quan chi the stance button.
No the stance attacks with quan chi are an exception as they don't require frames from the character and he continues doing his own thing unlike the drone attacks which requires Sonya to press buttons on her wrist. I thought you were referring to the bf3 attack with the bat which you can buffer and I wish Sonya's drone worked like that.

Just for quick reference the stance attacks with quan chi's bat work more like Batman's Bat-a-rang's in Injustice.

No the stance attacks with quan chi are an exception as they don't require frames from the character and he continues doing his own thing unlike the drone attacks which requires Sonya to press buttons on her wrist. I thought you were referring to the bf3 attack with the bat which you can buffer and I wish Sonya's drone worked like that.

Just for quick reference the stance attacks with quan chi's bat work more like Batman's Bat-a-rang's in Injustice.
I see

Well sorry for the slight derail there. To get back on track here is a combo I found 29% no meter. (yes it requires the stupid drone input so try not to drop =P)

Have drone out and ready
jump, d4, b2, 1, 1, 4+block, dash grab.

The dash grab is a bit finicky you may miss it sometimes and the 1, 1 juggle has to be done at a certain height or the second 1 wont land.
BTW you can catch and juggle further with
jump, d4, b2, 1, 1, 4+block, dash 1,1 but I'm not sure what you can do after.

lslick

Well sorry for the slight derail there. To get back on track here is a combo I found 29% no meter. (yes it requires the stupid drone input so try not to drop =P)

Have drone out and ready
jump, d4, b2, 1, 1, 4+block, dash grab.

The dash grab is a bit finicky you may miss it sometimes and the 1, 1 juggle has to be done at a certain height or the second 1 wont land.
BTW you can catch and juggle further with
jump, d4, b2, 1, 1, 4+block, dash 1,1 but I'm not sure what you can do after.
If I recall correctly, they can tech the grab even if they are airborne. And I'm assuming this is the corner?
*Nevermind, I got it to work midscreen

*Second edit, if you wanted to do Ji2~divekick, B2, 11~Low Kamikaze, dash, you can do any of the following:
Ji2~divekick, B2, 11~low kamikaze, dash, 11~leg grab = 30%
Ji2~divekick, B2, 11~low kamikaze, dash, 2134, call drone = 29%

Last edited:
Oh wow I didn't even think to do a jump attack before the divekick and it's actually amazing the game pretty much gives it to you for free.

I don't know about the air grab. If they can stop it mid way then yea it weakens it.

lslick

Oh wow I didn't even think to do a jump attack before the divekick and it's actually amazing the game pretty much gives it to you for free.

I don't know about the air grab. If they can stop it mid way then yea it weakens it.
Wait you are telling me that I read what you wrote wrong lol...I thought when you wrote jump d4, I figured you meant jip and then dive kick lol

SidTheHaze

25th place Tempest Lao
i just found midscreen combos like 5 min ago.....was gonna post it then i saw this thread.......ITS A SIGN!!!!!!!!!