What's new

Sonya (SonicFox) VS Baraka (HoneyBee) Gameplay Analysis

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

They played a lot of matches and it's very informative on how Sonya's going to play in this variation. I'm going to list what I saw, but I probably missed a whole lot.

Combos:
  1. 1:37 Corner combo 1 bar of offensive meter 307.73 DMG
  2. 4:45 Fatal Blow combo 424.77 DMG
  3. 9:08 jump in + offensive meter 250.83 DMG
  4. 17:46 enhanced energy rings combo with CB 380.19 DMG
Crushing Blows:
  1. 1:50 Enhanced leg takedown after a Kounter
  2. 2:25 Enhanced leg takedown while the opponent blocks, if it connects low it seems to also turn into a CB.
  3. 3:42 Enhanced energy rings turn into a CB after he fails to block both hits.
  4. 17:46 Energy rings turn into a CB after a punish combo.
Other Game Mechanics:
  1. 1:29 Air escape looks pretty cool
  2. 1:31 Uppercut is a CB on punish and can be converted into a full combo.
  3. 11:07 that's not gonna help her face, yo.
  4. 7:07 low parry that looks badass
  5. 12:14 Flawless block reduced chip damage (@karaokelove)
Bonus: 15:03 "Bitches get stitches."

She has some really good mixups and with the re-stand you can bait into a grab or go for another combo or finish double knee move that ends in a knockdown. She has decent combo ability mid screen, greater damage in corners. Her CB seems to trigger when the opponent fails to completely block a string, but the energy rings definitely hit on a punish too so IDK. But it seems like they're going to make the most damage combo-wise, next to FBs.

So hey, if Cassie plays weird at least I know I can switch to the mom.

Last edited:

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I wonder if Sonya will end up feeling a bit like Canary from Injustice 2. Good mixup potential, but not safe.
That's what I was thinking, Canary seems like a good comparison for Sonya. She also has this jumping kick thing, but I'm not sure if it's a special or a string. If it can be enhanced for a combo though, it's definitely a lot like Canary.

Thanks for this analysis !
I had a few worries about some gameplay mechanics, especially the Crushing Blows, I feared that would slow the game way too much, it turns out that it doesn't.
Same thing for the new meter burn system.
Sonya looks so fun to play, can't wait to play this game.

Just a quick question : It seems that characters have multiple intros/outros, but is there one intro/outro per variation or it's part of the customization (choosing the one you want) ?

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
Thanks for this analysis !
I had a few worries about some gameplay mechanics, especially the Crushing Blows, I feared that would slow the game way too much, it turns out that it doesn't.
Same thing for the new meter burn system.
Sonya looks so fun to play, can't wait to play this game.

Just a quick question : It seems that characters have multiple intros/outros, but is there one intro/outro per variation or it's part of the customization (choosing the one you want) ?
I thought the same too, but from this gameplay, it's looking pretty quick. The footsies are different from MKX, it's kind of a lot more like IJ2 and the combos seem to be like regular MK combos apart from the new CB mechanic.

I think the intros and outros are going to be part of the customization regardless of the variation. Some animations may change like we saw how Sonya bent down next to Bud-e during that intro but she said the same line.