What's new

Sonya MU thread

HapHaxion

"Knowledge" - Taio Cruz
Noticed that quite a few other characters had one of these and Sonya didn't, so I decided to make one. Feel free to post matchup discussion, numbers, questions, etc. below.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Hey anybody wanna play some games against Shao Kahn? I really need the MU experience. I play on ps4:Ojay654Synced
we can do Ft5

just picked up Sonya last night and I'm kind of stumped with the cassie MU. is cassie just free to control the pace entirely? that shit was exhausting to play

but like. how do you even approach her? i must be missing something. is it just a slow walk to the corner?

if that is the case, i feel sorry for you guys as a sz main

Dedlock

Noob
but like. how do you even approach her? i must be missing something. is it just a slow walk to the corner?

Sonyas energy rings can give cassie a little trouble which puts the pressure on her to come to us.

Sonyas energy rings can give cassie a little trouble which puts the pressure on her to come to us.
cool but how? the cassie i just played did low shots and walked backward. low-profiled everything and recovered in time to block the mb ring. is there a move i'm missing? cant find any pro matches that plays like that

just to clarify, I've only played sonya for a few sets

Dedlock

Noob
cool but how? the cassie i just played did low shots and walked backward. low-profiled everything and recovered in time to block the mb ring. is there a move i'm missing? cant find any pro matches that plays like that

just to clarify, I've only played sonya for a few sets
All you have to do is make sure you get them.one amplified energy rings and they usually panic a little. But you're right Sonya can do very little against patient cassie cage players.

Maybe you can try equipping soaring general to bridge the gap but even then it's more like a crutch.

This also applies to pure zoning skarlet, jade and kitana players. They can shut down Sonya if they know their space and frame advantages.

therinrik

Kano MKX Sonya MK11

I've been getting decent results against Cassie lately with no holds barred. You pretty much have to stay right on her with a small life lead and condition well. Cassie's strings aren't as safe or fast as Sonya's, so you can pretty much outspeed her if you are in range for F4 and F3. I'm getting a lot of use out of parrying wakeups. The low pistol is a bitch to get around though. And yes it is a very slow walk to the corner filled with many reads, but we have better frames so it works out.

Last edited:
I know y'all are the devil right now, but who else besides Cassie guns is a hard match up? Curious who the top tiers struggle with so I can pick an appropriate one to use lol.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
I know y'all are the devil right now, but who else besides Cassie guns is a hard match up? Curious who the top tiers struggle with so I can pick an appropriate one to use lol.
I don't even think Cassie is bad to be honest. It just makes Sonya play fair (sorta) and Sonya doesn't like playing fair.

Lol, so far seems like Sonya had the least talk of bad match ups etc. Looks promising, but man I didn't want to play another 50 50 character. How does Sonya combat good limbs?

In training I couldn't really see how she deals with things like noob, scarlet, kotal limbs. I guess just need good footsies but Sonya didn't feel like she had good range.

Took Lui Kang to the lab today to try and learn to punish his F333 more consistently and his f43u3. I found out that on his f43u3 string if you think your opponent is going to go for the u3 you can interrupt it with a B123 and you have a full kombo. It's probably safer to stick to the flawless block because of the krushing blow tied to it, but if you make the right read, you can get massive damage.

Any advice for my day one Sonya?

I couldn't get past noobs limbs and similar character. Trading with noobs projectiles ended up being negative too. Not sure how to approach this match up. I got the damage down pretty easily but I can only win if I cornered them and got my hail Marys.