What's new

Sonya help.

DeftMonk

Noob
Yo Sonya is beating my ass. Literally the only char I get consistently beat by and I have no friends that play her to get knowledge from. Before I spend a day labbing her out and taking her out for a spin to see how people deal with her shit I figured I’d just ask here for some tips. What’s punishable with what, or any tech that’s useful?

The only current solution I see right now is avoiding be near her and zoning her out.

It is one of the bullshits they need to fix. This char has the best zoning, best damage, best 50 50s, best cb....is very brain dead.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
Kitana can outzone sonya?
Sometimes. but i'm taking a break from the game now until they fix things. I don't hardcore play all day and yet I have all the trophies and feel forced to play certain characters. It feels like a chore as others have said and less fun. Not worth it to get a white Raiden or Jaqui skin with glowing eyes.

DeftMonk

Noob
Just went to lab sonya for an hour. Wtf is this character. Does everyone know this character has unreactable (dont tell me u can fuzzy 1 frame) oh/low mixup into 40% damage combos in the corner? What the flying shit.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
It's not the mixups that are annoying. It's the fact that she staggers every. fucking. thing. Her stagger game is severely underrated and she fucking crushes low pokes (which is absolutely essential since we rely on d4 so much) with f4 while also being plus. Gazillion damage easy to execute anti air reaction special move, and ofc we whiff on her as well.

Oh and top 2 zoning hihi

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
And yeah in the corner she can have safe fiddyfiddies with energy blast cancels (I think so?) And if you time your interrupt wrong here you go 240 dmg projectile KB LETS GOO

She doesnt lack anything besides a top tier mid starter, but that's not really a weakness lul

DeftMonk

Noob
Her and collector are like the only chars I havent labbed/looked at their frame data at this point. When I just took that bitch into the lab I was literally shocked at how she is even dumber than I imagined. Honestly made me a bit salty with current state of Johnny which I was ok with 2 hours ago lol

edit @DrFolmer fyi the overhead option is always unsafe fyi. The overhead string into energy ring cancel doesnt combo thus forcing you to commit to the full overhead string which is -14. Must have purposely did that so she isnt op as all hell in the corner with 2 bars. Figured I'd mention that to save you the time of going to check it out.

Last edited:

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
Her and collector are like the only chars I havent labbed/looked at their frame data at this point. When I just took that bitch into the lab I was literally shocked at how she is even dumber than I imagined. Honestly made me a bit salty with current state of Johnny which I was ok with 2 hours ago lol

edit @DrFolmer fyi the overhead option is always unsafe fyi. The overhead string into energy ring cancel doesnt combo thus forcing you to commit to the full overhead string which is -14. Must have purposely did that so she isnt op as all hell in the corner with 2 bars. Figured I'd mention that to save you the time of going to check it out.
She's still a hoe tho

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I see this is in the Johnny Cage forum, I wouldn’t bother with him vs her. Since forceballs whiff you’re gonna spend the game in Jedi master mode trying to win purely off 30% whiff punishes (that she can probably break away, let’s be serious) and thows, where she’s just gonna fling projectiles and ass blast you with 400 damage 50/50s. If you have a second character I think now would be the time