What's new

Sonya foundamentals

Macoomba

Noob
Hello there!
I'm training Sonya as main, and I'm kinda a beginner. My biggest problems about her buttons, right now, are her medium-ranged ones.
I mean, if im not really close (where i can punish mostly with a d1 into b123 combos), i usually try going with the advancing b123 (trying to confirm into combo) but i usually get blocked and ofc punished. Maybe i should advance with a f4 that is safe on block (and can i confirm it into anything else?)?
Also, can u list me every mix-ups u found out? For now i have the b14 xx bf1/bf4 and the 123 into bf4 usually.
Every info is well appreciated, ty!

If you're up against someone who's good at blocking and punishing, I've found that using her F3 is pretty effective. It's a 18 frame mid (I think it advances decently but can't remember off the top of my head) which knocks them back on hit and is plus on block while you're right next to them in throw range, so you can just grab them and toss them to the ground. It's an annoying little move which forces them to do something other than block, so it opens them up to all the other mix ups.

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob
My advancing starts are her

F211, B2, or 2 or jump d4 ( you have to equip) , or b3 u4 into bf4, or b1,4 into bf4

She doesn't have much , maybe the drones give her more of an opening.

Last edited:

Macoomba

Noob
If you're up against someone who's good at blocking and punishing, I've found that using her F3 is pretty effective. It's a 18 frame mid (I think it advances decently but can't remember off the top of my head) which knocks them back on hit and is plus on block while you're right next to them in throw range, so you can just grab them and toss them to the ground. It's an annoying little move which forces them to do something other than block, so it opens them up to all the other mix ups.
yeah sounds good, but the 18 frames startup is really punishable :S
My advancing starts are her

F211, B2, or 2 or jump d4 ( you have to equip) , or b3 u4 into bf4, or b1,4 into bf4

She doesn't have much , maybe the drones give her more of an opening.
Im trying the F211 and looks cool!

What do you do against an opponent who is constantly neutral ducking? B1, S1, F2 all are highs and get whiff punished. F4 works sometimes, but the range isn't great. I feel like in stuck using B3.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Don't sleep on her f4, its really good, condition them with it then use b123.

Also, her b23 is really good if you cancel it and use mind games.
Her B234 cancel is reactible and fully punishable.
Her B3U4 is easily her best string followed by B123 for combo.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
b234 is very good, dont spam it. Really good to walk back and bait them in the corner with .
Just helping you out. In tournament is completely different than what you can do online. It's like 30 frames on just the leg going up till it's active. Completely reactible if the opponent knows the matchup. You will start seeing it punished once everyone gets familiar with matchups like it does on reaction in my practice sets even when used once per match.

Just helping you out. In tournament is completely different than what you can do online. It's like 30 frames on just the leg going up till it's active. Completely reactible if the opponent knows the matchup. You will start seeing it punished once everyone gets familiar with matchups like it does on reaction in my practice sets even when used once per match.
This isn’t about tournament, and I only use part b23. And cancel b234 a couple of times so they don’t know how much is gonna come out. It’s pretty good.

B3, U4 is very reactable too but she has her low hitting d4 to mix things up. But then, ppl are catching up on milf tactics and fuzzy everything or stick out a d1 after b3

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Don't sleep on her f4, its really good, condition them with it then use b123.

Also, her b23 is really good if you cancel it and use mind games.
Her F4 is amazing with her B1,2, 3 combos as is her 3, 3, 3 into DB2 I've found. She's also an amazing zoner, her IA rings are great but do take practice, I've found them easier to do with Kitana than Sonya due to the B,F motion as oppose to D,F motion with Kitana. Combined with her Buddy Robot drop, she can be quite annoying to deal with from a far.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Sonya probably is now and then among the best character so far in this game ..... she has good moveset to deal with almost any situation, and she is , herself, a ultra pressure machine if has life lead and put the opponent in the corner