What's new

Sonya Blade Energy Ring Cancels

Ludaaak

Noob
Query about Sonya, do her energy ring cancels have any real use other than mind games with zoning?

Are there any flashy combos with them or any added frame advantage if you nail them after a string?

Would love some opinions.

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
Please do check the sticky Sonya combo thread in this subforum.

Corner

B14 xx BF1 Amplify Hold, dc 134 xx DB2-31% /BNB
B14 xx BF1 Amplify Hold, dc 134 xx DB2 Amplify, 333,D4-40%/Oki
B14 xx BF1 Amplify Hold,dc 134 xx DB2 Amplify,F4 1+3-37% /Restand
B14 xx BF1 Amplify Hold,dc xx B123,3,3,134 xx DB2-43%/BNB
B14 xx BF1 Amplify Hold,dc B123,3,3,134 xx DB2 Amplify 333,D4-50%/Oki
B14 xx BF1 Amplify Hold,dc B123,3,3,134 xx DB2 Amplify,F4 1+3-47%/Restand

Also, watch Ketchup's video on Sonya's dash cancels.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Query about Sonya, do her energy ring cancels have any real use other than mind games with zoning?

Are there any flashy combos with them or any added frame advantage if you nail them after a string?

Would love some opinions.
They are almost OP if used in the corner to ad extra mix. B14 ERC B123 corner combo = 50% of either overhead into overhead or Low into Overhead so it's incredibly powerful.

You could spend the time to learn it but honestly save yourself the frustration and just wait for it to be patched out. I prefer no holds barred variation with the counters. She is really good with just base moveset so just saying either the ERC will be nerfed or her damage I hope it's the ERC cuz a damage Nerf will effect her as a character and lower her midscreen damage without her strong tools.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
They are almost OP if used in the corner to ad extra mix. B14 ERC B123 corner combo = 50% of either overhead into overhead or Low into Overhead so it's incredibly powerful.
It’s a high into an overhead or a high into a low.

She can cancel either of those into bf4 which is low, but it’s -17 on block, doesn’t give a combo and isn’t a mixup.

LawAbidingCitizen

It’s a high into an overhead or a high into a low.

She can cancel either of those into bf4 which is low, but it’s -17 on block, doesn’t give a combo and isn’t a mixup.
You are sevearly misunderstanding what I said. Yes B12 is high Overhead and B14 is high low but when canceled via ERC it's low to oh or oh to oh making a true 50/50 into 50%

Starters are:
B14 xx ERDC B123 finish combo 50%
B12 xx ERDC B123 finish combo 50%
True 50/50 that does go into combo from corner Energy Ring Dash Cancel using B12(high-Overhead)/B14(High-Low).

Last edited:

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Starting using her as one of my secondary mains, she's honestly a great overall character, fast, nice combo damage. Though I would say the corner stuff isn't necessary since she's so strong for one overall and two, can get anywhere from 20-high 30% + on one bar with her B1,2,3 string into 3,3, 3, DB2 AMP combos etc. However, it's obviously a great mind game and tech. I'm also more of a zoner player not so much a cancel up close, frame trap guy but this is great for rushdown Sonya's.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
You are sevearly misunderstanding what I said. Yes B12 is high Overhead and B14 is high low but when canceled via ERC it's low to oh or oh to oh making a true 50/50 into 50%

Starters are:
True 50/50 that does go into combo from corner Energy Ring Dash Cancel using B12(high-Overhead)/B14(High-Low).
Energy rings hits high-mid

At no point is there an extra overhead.

If you’re trying to imply that on block you can dash cancel into another b1 mixup; no, she can’t, unless your opponent is literally asleep.

Also, b12 dash cancel combos are incredibly tight. I don’t think she can combo it into b1, but please post a video showing me; I’d love to see.

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure

Starters are:
Except b12 doesn’t combo from energy ring cancel... only b14 does. B12 you can cancel it sure, but it will not continue to combo. . .

LawAbidingCitizen

Also, b12 dash cancel combos are incredibly tight. I don’t think she can combo it into b1, but please post a video showing me; I’d love to see.
As for comboing into B123 from B14 K&M have a video on Sonya that shows it's possible. It's just two frames slower but a tight link.

Sorry about the other thing. Normally I check things and a good friend misinformed me about it on block. So I apologise about spreading misinformation. She can do it but it's easily poked out of on block.

On hit it is very much capable of doing B14 xx ERDC B123 combos into 50%.

Here it is:
2:34

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
As for comboing into B123 from B14 K&M have a video on Sonya that shows it's possible. It's just two frames slower but a tight link.

Sorry about the other thing. Normally I check things and a good friend misinformed me about it on block. So I apologise about spreading misinformation. She can do it but it's easily poked out of on block.

Here it is:

I can link b12 off b14~energy ring cancel reliably.

I main this character hahaha :)

Ludaaak

Noob
Energy rings hits high-mid

At no point is there an extra overhead.

If you’re trying to imply that on block you can dash cancel into another b1 mixup; no, she can’t, unless your opponent is literally asleep.

Just spent a ridiculous amount of time in the lab with here. She can cancel in to b123 however the timing is tighter than a nun’s vagina and it’s more than likely going to get patched out. If I can get to a point where I can execute that cancel in the corner CONSISTENTLY, she will make for a massive headache for anyone I vs. It’s quite easy to cancel in to a normal 1 though. I believe she has a string that starts with 1 and hits low after. This makes for a great ERC cancel combo in the corner considering how easy it is to execute but in no way yields the same reward as cancelling in to b1.

I’m considering sticking with her parry. ERC in to b1 is just too monotonous.

Ludaaak

Noob

Here it is:

This will 100000% get patched out. Shit’s broke.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Just spent a ridiculous amount of time in the lab with here. She can cancel in to b123 however the timing is tighter than a nun’s vagina and it’s more than likely going to get patched out. If I can get to a point where I can execute that cancel in the corner CONSISTENTLY, she will make for a massive headache for anyone I vs. It’s quite easy to cancel in to a normal 1 though. I believe she has a string that starts with 1 and hits low after. This makes for a great ERC cancel combo in the corner considering how easy it is to execute but in no way yields the same reward as cancelling in to b1.

I’m considering sticking with her parry. ERC in to b1 is just too monotonous.
You combo’d
b12~energy ring cancel, b123?

Because I consistently get

b14~energy ring cancel b123

But can’t combo off the overhead cancel, only the low.

Ludaaak

Noob
You combo’d
b12~energy ring cancel, b123?

Because I consistently get

b14~energy ring cancel b123

But can’t combo off the overhead cancel, only the low.
Nah, I can cancel in to it, haven’t even tried cancelling from the b12. Might give that a look tomorrow after work.

How do you guys link b14xxERC dash b12?!? I am learning everyone’s bnb ‘s to play Shang effectively, and can’t get this link at close range. I can do b14xxERCxxDashxx134 consistently, but the b1 link seems super hard, any advice is appreciated)))

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
The input window is extremely tight. I have a tough time doing it on the right side, good luck on the left. You have to hit that B1 near instantly upon recovery from the ERC.
What I did was practice linking ONLY the B1 after the ERC. Once you get the hang of that, the rest is easy.

The input window is extremely tight. I have a tough time doing it on the right side, good luck on the left. You have to hit that B1 near instantly upon recovery from the ERC.
What I did was practice linking ONLY the B1 after the ERC. Once you get the hang of that, the rest is easy.
So, how how consistent is that online for example? Should I stick to b14xxERC dash 134 if I only need that as Shang against Sonya?