What's new

Sony and Microsoft working together! Crossplay coming?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
https://charlieintel.com/microsoft-and-sony-announce-partnership-to-explore-cloud-based-solutions-for-gaming/54125/

"In an unexpected move this afternoon, Microsoft and Sony announced a partnership to explore how to apply future cloud-based solutions to their respective gaming and content platforms."

“Sony has always been a leader in both entertainment and technology, and the collaboration we announced today builds on this history of innovation,” said Satya Nadella, CEO of Microsoft.“Our partnership brings the power of Azure and Azure AI to Sony to deliver new gaming and entertainment experiences for customers. "

Sounds like they just wanna cash in on people wanting Crossplay for consoles, but it's been long overdue, we need crossplay on all online games.

Rip console wars.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
This makes sense as Sony gaming moved it's HQ to NA I suspect more collusion between the two console moguls to be ahead.
I just hope that if this is a paid service, and whatever the heck this Azure thing is (probably a spy like the amazon echo) is going to give us the ability to also stream tv shows and movies so we could just cancel Netflix and whatnot and just get that thing which would also enable crossplay. I like to have all my services in one place.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
whatever the heck this Azure thing is
Azure is just a cloud-based solution by Microsoft. It’s almost identical to other solutions like Amazon Web Services and IBM’s Bluemix. The only major difference is that it’s owned by Microsoft. I almost used Azure to host the back-end for my robotic gameshow hosts.

The fact that Sony is apparently using Microsoft’s cloud services for the Playstation does indicate that the 2 companies have established a business relationship, which is definitely a necessary step towards cross-play.