What's new

Guide SonicBoomBrad's Quick Guide to Doomsday

SonicBoomBrad

Best Doomsday in the world
I wrote this out for a friend in a PM and figured it might help out some people who are interested in picking Doomsday up for whatever reason. If you guys want to add anything, feel free to let me know.

Obviously Doomsday's best pressure tool is his d1. But most people don't realize that Doomsday is best played as a defensive character if you have the option to do so. Against characters like WW, Flash, etc. that don't have a projectile you can literally just sit there and react to how they're moving. If they dash, d1 ES will punish them every single time due to the recovery frames on dashes. And jumping gets blown up free due to his 6 frame air grab. The hitbox isn't as good as Grundy's because it's not as long horizontally. But it does go a little bit higher from what I can tell and is much less punishable on whiff, in fact I don't think I've ever had someone whiff punish it.

Getting in with Doomsday is the easiest thing on the planet as long as you know how to venom properly. You can get in on every almost every character in the game if you apply normal zoning rules to DD's venom. Meaning you just block their projectile, and then venom as an answer and you'll generally get in before their next projectile as long as you're spaced properly. There are a couple characters that have frame traps in their projectiles that this is a little bit more of a read against though (Raven, Frost). Obviously trait is amazing for getting in as well but it's better not to use it for that if you can avoid it.

Doomsday's trait is godlike as a pressure tool because it's basically "I don't give a fuck" insurance. You're free to swing as much as you want and as long as you're not right in someone's face you'll always be able to beat them out. It's really good for dashing up on someone's wake up and doing 123 venom. Because you'll eat whatever wake up they have to the chest and full combo them with 123. You can also take the very last hit of strings while being pressured when you have trait active to reduce the hitstun of their move. If you do that properly you can actually full combo punish things that are otherwise safe or even plus. Trait also reduces all damage Doomsday takes by half.

Doomsday's three most useful strings are 123 (+2 so you can always d1 afterward and it'll beat out anything anyone else does) Also has a 10 frame start up so it's his 2nd fastest punish next to d1. 33 (+10) godlike pressure tool, specially in the corner because you can repeat the string twice before going into a d1 for more pressure to get a shit ton of chip and potential frame traps. And 23d1 because of it's ridiculous active frames and the fact that it travels nearly half screen and is also special cancelable.

After MB venom you're +6. There is nothing in the game that can beat your d1 after mb venom if you time it properly, not even an mb b3 if you cancel it into ES, so the opponent only has two more options, backdash or jump. Both of these are easily readable for a full combo punish. If you read a backdash you can always forward dash 123 to punish. Jumps can be read with air grab. Or if you're lazy and think they're not going to try to block you can just do another venom. This also means that if they're blocking, d1 mb venom is guaranteed blockstun. Meaning if they do anything at all they'll get hit. So it's great for closing out games if you have meter to waste. Venom is also unclashable, so your best unclashable damage is d1 mb venom. You can also use MB venom to blow through peoples wake ups if you think they're going to try to wake up with something that you otherwise can't pressure. Just don't make a habit out of it like I did because it can fuck you over in certain situations.

Last thing is that after any knockdown Doomsday can always dash up and neutral jump no matter where he is on the screen and will either cause the opponents wake up to reverse or you'll go through them and cross up based on your timing. The only two exceptions to this are if the opponent tech rolls or you're in the corner. It's risky to do after normal teachable knockdowns because you can just roll out of the set up, but not always a bad decision. In the corner the neutral jump isn't needed unless it's an attack that hits 360 (Adam, Scorpion tele, etc.)

Doomsday's dash is also a low evade. Which most people don't know about. It's not really something that's very useful that often, but it's a good thing to know just in case.

cR_whiteboi

Jobbers are mouthpieces for gods.
Simple, but nice. I do agree if the opition to play defensive is available, its the best way to play. Clearly chefs guide is superior though.

E

Eldriken

I've been making much more use of 23d1 lately. Whether it's raw or part of a combo. HC bodysplash, 123, 23d1~MB Venom in the corner is a nice 42%, which a lot of people aren't used to seeing from Doomsday. I hardly ever get "learn combos noob" messages anymore. Not that I cared before, but it's nice when people send me messages complimenting my Doomsday instead of the typical bitching messages.

But I definitely didn't know that his forward dash is a low evade. I'll have to see what use I can make of it depending on what character I'm up against.

But SonicBoomBrad is definitely right about Doomsday being a good defensive character. If you know how to block properly, you can use it to your advantage when you're forcing the opposition to approach you if you so choose.

I still must say that my favorite thing about Doomsday is MB Venom. People KNOW they have to keep themselves in check if I have one bar of meter. I'd almost like to say that MB Venom is the best move in the game. :p But only Doomsday players would think that. :D

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I've been making much more use of 23d1 lately. Whether it's raw or part of a combo. HC bodysplash, 123, 23d1~MB Venom in the corner is a nice 42%, which a lot of people aren't used to seeing from Doomsday. I hardly ever get "learn combos noob" messages anymore. Not that I cared before, but it's nice when people send me messages complimenting my Doomsday instead of the typical bitching messages.

But I definitely didn't know that his forward dash is a low evade. I'll have to see what use I can make of it depending on what character I'm up against.

But SonicBoomBrad is definitely right about Doomsday being a good defensive character. If you know how to block properly, you can use it to your advantage when you're forcing the opposition to approach you if you so choose.

I still must say that my favorite thing about Doomsday is MB Venom. People KNOW they have to keep themselves in check if I have one bar of meter. I'd almost like to say that MB Venom is the best move in the game. :p But only Doomsday players would think that. :D
Why would you use mb venom in the corner for an extra 5% when d1 shake chips for that almost?

E

Eldriken

Why would you use mb venom in the corner for an extra 5% when d1 shake chips for that almost?
*shrugs* I dunno. I don't really see any issue with it. Doomsday doesn't have an issue building meter, so it's not like it's being wasted.

I don't take into consideration what d1~ES chip damage is because most folks are unable to block the whole thing consistently or at all.

Some may not agree with using it in the corner in a combo for a measly extra 5%, but it's like I said: Doomsday is a meter building machine.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
*shrugs* I dunno. I don't really see any issue with it. Doomsday doesn't have an issue building meter, so it's not like it's being wasted.

I don't take into consideration what d1~ES chip damage is because most folks are unable to block the whole thing consistently or at all.

Some may not agree with using it in the corner in a combo for a measly extra 5%, but it's like I said: Doomsday is a meter building machine.
You would need the meter if you played an opponent who doesn't get opened up by basic earth shakes.

E

Eldriken

You would need the meter if you played an opponent who doesn't get opened up by basic earth shakes.
Well, yes, of course. I don't always spend the meter on MB Venom in the corner during a combo or the likes. It all depends on the capabilities of my opponent. I change my tactics on the fly depending on the situation and how the person plays. I just use it for flash if I'm able to. Perhaps I should have been more clear on that. Sorry. :|

How come?
Simple... I don't know. I was being sarcastic, but I do understand Doomsday a bit more than I use to and this short guide might help me fight against him a lot more better, since he is my main gripe for this game and no matter who I pick I always have trouble. Maybe playing DD will help me understand him a bit more.

E

Eldriken

Simple... I don't know. I was being sarcastic, but I do understand Doomsday a bit more than I use to and this short guide might help me fight against him a lot more better, since he is my main gripe for this game and no matter who I pick I always have trouble. Maybe playing DD will help me understand him a bit more.
Definitely pick him up and learn him inside and out. You will be glad that you did. There are a few MUs that will give him trouble, but that's about it.

I'm a fan of rage quitters and hatemail and I get plenty of that thanks to Doomsday. :p Batgirl and Killer Frost definitely cause it, but not nearly as much as Doomsday does. For whatever reason, d1~ES, raw ES and MB Venom make people really pissed off. I have no clue why, however. >.>

Definitely pick him up and learn him inside and out. You will be glad that you did. There are a few MUs that will give him trouble, but that's about it.

I'm a fan of rage quitters and hatemail and I get plenty of that thanks to Doomsday. :p Batgirl and Killer Frost definitely cause it, but not nearly as much as Doomsday does. For whatever reason, d1~ES, raw ES and MB Venom make people really pissed off. I have no clue why, however. >.>
I'm probably guessing those 'tough' matchups involve *cough*superman*cough*, but I got my Batgirl for that and I love the hatemail I get e.g. "Batgirl needs a good fisting".
Anyway I will start learning Doomsday today (because why not?!:)) I don't think people make out for him to be as simple as he is suppose to be. I can understand why MB Venom pisses people off because I feel so hopeless against Doomsday:(