What's new

Sonic Fox Playing SFV?

Matix218

Get over here!
I learned on SF. I was so addicted. I played so much. I even played with The Cali Kid when SF3 came out. I've played JWong. I've played Arturo Sanchez. My favorite version of the game was HDR and I played that for a good four years. Super NYC's Honda still gives me nightmares. I played SFIV, but wasn't a big fan of it - but I still crept into the top 100 for the few months that I played it. In SFV, I went from 1400 to 5500 points in ranked in just a few hours with Cammy - and I do love SFV. Still, to me MKX is the better - and certainly more complete, game...

All that stuff that everyone calls dirt is stuff that must be dealt with. MKX stretches your defenses way further than SFV does. SFV is based upon beating to the punch versus baiting to punish. Overheads and cross-ups only serve as difficulties for beginners and they separate the low from the mid from the top as players progress from using them, to defending them, to making them completely safe by safe-jump timing wake-ups. From there, it becomes a battle of wills and hitboxes. Even at the top levels, players eventually break from emotional fatigue - and that's when the opportunities come.

In MKX, there is no defending everything - so it isn't a battle of emotional attrition at the game's top levels. No, once the meta is fully known - it comes down to character choice, patience, defense, and matchup knowledge that eventually leads to reads - which is what ultimately determines victory. The meter to make things safe and the armor to power through are a big part of MKX; Meter management is much less important in SFV.

Now, as he plays SFV - Sonic Fox is probably looking for ways to make the most of reads - and that way of thinking in SFV is a weakness because its draining and he should be focusing on what is important - hitboxes, hurtboxes, frame data, priority, and not losing focus.

I'm not disappointed that he didn't win. I'm impressed that he did as well as he did. Its obvious that the very idea of his success has you shaken.

So, who from the SF community would you like to see cross over into MKX? JWong had a tremendous run. Who else do you think could?

...or do you think the money is beneath them?
This post was awesome

FROST_

KH | DsV BLOODxGOD
This. The way to play SFIV was by always taking the road with fewer mistakes, not by forcing your opponents to make them, primarily.

A great example is comparing jyobin, wao and daigos playstyles. They're extremely similar but they, in the respective order, play the game more for what it is.
Yeah I guess I did act a little childish towards the comments I should look at both sides more. I should've been cheering instead of throwing shade. He did well and yeah if their was more cross over play I think that the FGC would be so huge that the companies would have more to give us than what the original fans already want like having a Koth in sf5 or a 3v3 man team battle in mkx from mvc3. But yeah I see your points.

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I was kinda with you till you somehow implied reads were less useful in sfv. The umeshoryu is a threat.

Agree with the rest though.
Reads are important in SFV, but meter isn't as important - and you don't have the slam dunk options you have in MKX.

You can play SFV on the highest levels and almost never make hard reads. Its a fundamental part of high level play in MKX.

Reads are important in SFV, but meter isn't as important - and you don't have the slam dunk options you have in MKX.

You can play SFV on the highest levels and almost never make hard reads. Its a fundamental part of high level play in MKX.
A read at its basic level is just a guess as to how your opponent will react in a certain situation. I don't think you can play any fighting game without relying on that ability. As for dunks I'm pretty sure most sfv characters can get as much dmg if not more than an mkx character on a hard read with resources. It's not too uncommon for character with trigger and a full meter to be able to get 50-60%.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
This is a grossly inaccurate statement on high level SFV play
A read at its basic level is just a guess as to how your opponent will react in a certain situation. I don't think you can play any fighting game without relying on that ability. As for dunks I'm pretty sure most sfv characters can get as much dmg if not more than an mkx character on a hard read with resources. It's not too uncommon for character with trigger and a full meter to be able to get 50-60%.
I can do the heaviest of SF combos with consistency without practice, but its usually on mistakes that I ever get it. With MKX, its not from mistakes - but on reads, that I see damage being dealt like that.

I may be undermining it a little in SF, but I definitely think its a more important skill in MKX than in SFV.

Forget Daigo,momochi,sonicfox,etc.
Tomo is playing SF V, and he's back with hunger!!! Now that's scary!

Jk, anyways I love both games the same. As much as I suck at both!

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Guess whos wrong!? LOL! NRS players in other games remain trash confirmed.
Uhhh...to be fair, SF made top 8 at a couple of majors for SFV. If you follow him he stopped playing SFV as much to focus on the NRS money, which is basically guaranteed.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Uhhh...to be fair, SF made top 8 at a couple of majors for SFV. If you follow him he stopped playing SFV as much to focus on the NRS money, which is basically guaranteed.
you mean 1 fluke top 8 tbh. he's never said he stopped playing sfv to to focus on other games, stop option selecting

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
you mean 1 fluke top 8 tbh. he's never said he stopped playing sfv to to focus on other games, stop option selecting
I thought he had two top 8's? Also, he barely talks about SFV anymore and stopped streaming it, but I'm pretty sure there was two top 8's. Gonna Google.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
I thought he had two top 8's? Also, he barely talks about SFV anymore and stopped streaming it, but I'm pretty sure there was two top 8's. Gonna Google.
it's one thing to believe he needs to "focus" on mkx anymore at this point as if he doesnt have the time because of his non-existent 9-5 as if that matters (when top 8 evo placer like Nemo or Dark Jiewa have families) and it's another thing to just pull up excuses he's never even made for himself

Last edited:
I'm going to be honest here, I say this with all respect to sonicfox and everyone who reads this. At final round when he placed top 8 the brackets and opponents to get there were not too great honestly. After that at majors he's placed lower and lower, #23 after that, then #48 after that one, and at EVO not even sure what place he finished, anyone know? Seeing how lopsided his match against Kazunoko at evo was not good to me, as I really hoped he placed higher. Also I might be wrong but to e it seems he wants to prove something to Street Fighter fans, unfortunately it hasn't been working out. If he really enjoys SF then I wish him luck and good games, if he's trying to prove a point then it's gonna be really hard bro, street fighter is way too different than Mk.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
it's one thing to believe he needs to "focus" on mkx anymore at this point as if he doesnt have the time because of his non-existent 9-5 as if that matters (when top 8 evo placer like Nemo or Dark Jiewa have families) and it's another thing to just pull up excuses he's never even made for himself
Whoa...am I sensing jealousy? What is that comment? lol. Isn't he in high school? Might as well be a 9-5. Also, you were correct about his top 8 placements.

CUTWEST

Where NRS scrubs cant compete
And to be even MORE fair and balanced. Those were some of the WEAKEST in competition SFV majors as well weren't they?

Sonic Fox: " WOOT! I made top 8 at final round. One of the Weakest SFV major to date. Capcom boiz. Im COMING FOR YOU!!"

*Gets Bodied at Combobreaker*
*Gets Bodied at CEO*
*Gets EMBARASSED at Evo*

Sonicfox......"Just kidding guise! ROFL! XD"

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Whoa...am I sensing jealousy? What is that comment? lol. Isn't he in high school? Might as well be a 9-5. Also, you were correct about his top 8 placements.
"sonicfox has to focus his priorities when it comes to the fgs he plays"

" nemo has a family, a job, and still places top 8 at evo no excuse"

"whoa are you jealous of sonicfox right now highschool is the same thing as all that stuff anyway"

switch the word "focus" with "settling" and you're prob more in the ballpark. the simple truth is he's struggling. i like sonicfox too and know that he doesnt make excuses for himself but a lot of insecure nrs guys vicariously try to live through him too hard.

Last edited: