What's new

Sonic Fox Playing SFV?

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I was with you up until this part. Is this the same MKX where everyone has a run button, jump ins are ridiculous, and mobility is at all time high with advancings and slides/teleports/divekicks/air dashs/whatever else, and fast advancing armors? I think you'll find practically everyone has multiple tools for dealing with zoning in MKX
I think it's more that MKx has a projectile game about just overwhelming you're opponent and making them take slow calculated approaches to quickly gain space, where in SF although slightly different there is a bigger emphasis and slight nuances in the projectile game. Quan, Kitana, LK, could throw a constant stream of projectile and just be effective while Ryu, Chun, Ken, will throw different speeds, bait into anti airs, or even take your pausing as a means to press buttons safely. It's different and not as momentum shifting like MKx.

I might be giving fox too much credit but it's possible he figured it's better to take a slow, poking character than some rushdown character in SF when you have to be so exact while still making reads. He knows he's out of his element plus the poison can help keep up in damage if he just plays patient. I don't know just a guess. If he played a ryu he wouldn't last imo. High level people are way too comfortable for a month 1 Ryu to win.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
He got fucking 9th in the first SFV tournament ever, I really don't get why people are acting like that proves he can't do anything lol, this shit going on in here needs to stop, I'm very impressed with how well SF performed he already outdid the expectations everyone from Capcom community had for him and he did it with fucking F.A.N.G. no less, I can't wait to see what he's capable of in this game, and this stage hes more hype for in SFV than he is in MK

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
Street Fighter is a fighting game that gives you a sense of restriction but actually favors players with a lot of patience and good defense.

Most of the games Fox has excelled in have been very fast paced with big momentum shifts. Won't be an easy transition for him. The main rule in SF is don't jump, (unless you got a character with good air mobility I guess) and I'm not sure that's something Fox is used to NOT doing lol.

Still, not a bad showing regardless.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Curious since the Capcom people are bashing Sonic for coming in top 10, anyone know how many players were in this tournament again? Curious.

Curious since the Capcom people are bashing Sonic for coming in top 10, anyone know how many players were in this tournament again? Curious.
to be completely honest this was a c+ or b- level tournament at best. It'd be like if someone went to an MK tourney with 0 cr members and 1 yomi person and got top 16 but lost to the one yomi person. Gratz to sonic but Filipino champ and 3k are hardly the cream of the crop, they're good. Fchamp might be top 10 in America(might be) but as far as world rankings would go he's minor league.

Still pretty sweet to see fox rocking fang though, hope he sticks with it and grinds up that ladder.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
what is this " sonic placed top 16 winners im his first capcom tourney" and then now he gets convincingly eliminated so the tune is " it's only been 2 weeks". ya it's only been two weeks in a new game for everyone and tbh this tournament wasn't stacked at all. save the review on sonicfox's sf career until the game is at least a year old please. i'm sure he's just trying to have fun.

nobody really cares about some nrs players' persecution complex about feeling inadequate to capcom. more people feel sf is a better fighter that most others, it doesn't say anything about your skill as player in nrs games. move along and just play the games you like. this thread was dumb

MKF30

@ B.Shazzy:Ehh, the whole "more people feel sf is a better fighter than most others" is subjective especially since Capcom dropped the ball with SFV...but I do agree that people should just play with they like, who cares what other communities think. People who like SF will play SF, people who like MK will play MK X.

to be completely honest this was a c+ or b- level tournament at best. It'd be like if someone went to an MK tourney with 0 cr members and 1 yomi person and got top 16 but lost to the one yomi person. Gratz to sonic but Filipino champ and 3k are hardly the cream of the crop, they're good. Fchamp might be top 10 in America(might be) but as far as world rankings would go he's minor league.

Still pretty sweet to see fox rocking fang though, hope he sticks with it and grinds up that ladder.
I see, was just curious if anyone knew a rough estimate of the number amount(of course the game is fresh and new so everyone is still newer to it) as with any new fighting at first with tourneys, I was just wondering if like this tourney had like 200 players or 500 etc that's interesting though.

Last edited:
I see, was just curious if anyone knew a rough estimate of the number amount(of course the game is fresh and new so everyone is still newer to it) as with any new fighting at first with tourneys, I was just wondering if like this tourney had like 200 players or 500 etc that's interesting though.
16 pools of 24 players.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Who is bashing Sonic? I hope y'all are not judging from a stream chat...
Also what is with the labeling players by the games they play?
That's why it's always the "capcom guys" or the "capcom crowd" are bashing sonic fox. Never a name like "justin wong" or "Fchamp" (who seemed cool with him and I know they ran set(s) when Rising thunder was hot). Nope just the faceless capcom elite 1% Illuminati.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
@ B.Shazzy:Ehh, the whole "more people feel sf is a better fighter than most others" is subjective especially since Capcom dropped the ball with SFV...but I do agree that people should just play with they like, who cares what other communities think. People who like SF will play SF, people who like MK will play MK X.

no sf games have always pulled more players and viewers than nrs games. like way more. we're talking about the fgc perspective.

it's the reason a couple top sf players who don't even speak english can stream casuals and pull double the viewership esl mkx finals season 2 recieved.

Last edited:

MKF30

no sf games have always pulled more players and viewers than nrs games. like way more. we're talking about the fgc perspective.
Think we're talking about two different things. If you're talking tourney hype, sure. But popularity wise mk has pulled ahead of sf, the sales, feedback and dlc hype backs it up.

So Not sure I'd say always when nrs has sold more al than sf as a series arguably more popular. If you're talking just tourney numbers I don't follow That exclusively, I'm talking like overall...20 years ago of course SF was Far bigger but now days different ballgame.

I'm also pretty sure sfv sold roughly 140,000 first week which was actually alot less than mkx which if not mistaken sold over a million first week.

It doesn't matter though since tourney wise both will be at evo this year.

Last edited:

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Imo this experience will only make him a better fighting game player.. Which is really scary.
I really wanted him to go all the way. Cassie is probably the most boring character IMO to watch, so my peak (at work) of the GFs was, well, we all knew. Whenever Sonic starts to lose, it's like he triggers the nitrous button.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Not sure I'd say always when mk has sold more andvss a series arguably more popular. If you're talking just tourney numbers I don't follow ThSt exclusively, I'm talking like overall...

I'm also pretty sure sfv sokd roughly 140,000 first week which was actually alot less thsn mkx which if not mistaken sold over a million first week.

again, we're talking about in the fgc, not about how appealing our game is to the group of people who buy fg games to fatality leatherface with predator or play kustom kombat or mileena players

Last edited:

MKF30

again, we're talking about in the fgc, not about how appealing our game is to the group of people who buy fg games to fatality leatherface with predator or play kustom kombat
Yes indeed we are, majority of players on here enjoy competing and he variety of characters that mkx offers I don't emphasize on solely one element when the whole game matters why do you think all fighters now even capcom has storymodes, side modes etc because they know what works. It's worked for not just nrs but smash, tekken, skullgirls. It makes a fighter more appealing or why not just use stick figures...

That's all I'm saying. Kustom kombat? Huh?

Last edited:

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
The game is two weeks old for everyone. Keep in mind that this is a whole new game for SF players as well, but they all have the understanding of the SF series at least, they have HEAVY fundamentals.
Fox is a great player and we know it but I guess at the end of the day the capcom players are right when they say things like "X player would get exposed if he plays SF", Sonic kept jumping and spending all his meter to stay plus but surprise!!! There are no braindead mix-ups, heavily superior get-in for free footsie tools or bullshit that you can abuse in this game against good players. It takes time to adapt to SF, specially when you have to fight the best of the best at tournaments. He is definitely just going to get better but for people actually hoping he wins something in this game soon when there are amazing players that are known as the FG gods and have been playing Street Fighter and other fundamental heavy games since 90's then you'll have to keep waiting for a long time.

B. Shazzy

NRS shill #42069
Yes indeed we are, majority of players on here enjoy competing and he variety of characters that mkx offers I don't emphasize on solely one element when the whole game matters why do you think all fighters now even capcom has storymodes, side modes etc because they know what works. It's worked for not just nrs but smash, tekken, skullgirls. It makes a fighter more appealing or why not just use stick figures...
apparently none of that stuff matters to the greater fgc since...

it's the reason a couple top sf players who don't even speak english can stream casuals and pull double the viewership esl mkx finals season 2 recieved.
i dont see nrs players hanging with celebs constantly either btw

MKF30

apparently none of that stuff matters to the greater fgc since...

i dont see nrs players hanging with celebs constantly
Wasnt aware you speak for the "entire fgc"

Pretty sure casuals for both games outnumber tourney and fgc by a long shot....

Like I said, all elements matter not just higher stream numbers, I couldn't care less about that.

MKF30

i dont. the twitch stream numbers and the significant amount of numbers sf tournies pull consistently do. no reason to get bothered over it, just play your game.
Fair enough. Though there are a lot of MK tourneys now days, and there was the ESL season finale on CW where millions watched it. That was a big deal.

I'm not bummed about it honestly, i understand they mean a lot to some people and little to some. I prefer to evaluate everything regarding a successful game, all I'm saying.

I'd rather play than watch anyway lol.

Last edited:

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Tbh MKX actually helped me a lot with SFV in terms of patience. I'm so used to ridiculous plus frames and 50/50s that SFV's offence pales in comparison. It's like going from fighting the big black bouncer outside the club to a toddler scratching at your knees.

Tbh MKX actually helped me a lot with SFV in terms of patience. I'm so used to ridiculous plus frames and 50/50s that SFV's offence pales in comparison. It's like going from fighting the big black bouncer outside the club to a toddler scratching at your knees.
That kinda works both ways though. Opening people up in SF is a lot different, you actually need to understand your frames and work in traps/mixups out of neutral. Whereas in MK you just jump blockstun into a 50/50 which you meter burn to make safe so you can follow up with a second 50/50 which is unsafe which you can then cover with an even more unsafe 50/5.... And your opponent died to chip before you even got to use your 4th 50/50 after you spent your third bar.

Kidding.

But kinda not.