What's new

So what do you guys like the most about him from what we’ve seen?

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I just want to make sure I fully understand the difference.
A punish is hitting the opponent during negative frames after a blocked attack or whiffed attacked? Counter hit would be hitting the opponent during start up frames ?
you can also ch during active frames in some games, but that mostly trades these days

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
newest build has spark as a high. gotta maintain jobber status somehow I guess. here's hoping the ex version is still mid at least.
Yea say the 2nd hit of the ex still be mid but shame they changed it.
Will make the command grab, aa spikes not as good that it's high now as can neutral duck more in footsies range of the leap and don't need to jump as much as it's high.
The flag plant be more of a when your in move now I think that u can't get the extra chip from zoining like could before but hey games not even out so things were gonna change

Yea say the 2nd hit of the ex still be mid but shame they changed it.
Will make the command grab, aa spikes not as good that it's high now as can neutral duck more in footsies range of the leap and don't need to jump as much as it's high.
The flag plant be more of a when your in move now I think that u can't get the extra chip from zoining like could before but hey games not even out so things were gonna change
would be a letdown for me. I think the flag gimmick is the worst part of the character and I was never a fan of stance cancel playstyle like kotal or liu Just give me blade spin and chop chop

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
I think the vision they have for Baraka in this game is an offensive footsies beast.
The demo build with his mid projectile made him more of a zoner.

I think NRS are going out of their way to change him into how they intend him to play footsies/offense wise.

It's not they are nerfing him.
It's just that they are redirecting his playstyle to something more suited for him.

That's why he has the new anti-zoning tools that were shown and the mid projectile was taken away. I respect the decision tbh. I don't want an offensive character's answer to zoning to be 'zone back at them, but better'.

There will be plenty of good zoners in the game. I'm guessing there will even be a character with a mid projectile that isn't Baraka. But yeah, if Baraka ended up being a strong zoner above everything else... it'd just feel unintended to me.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
His shooooooooryuken and fatality. He looked great all around. His artstyle and design especially in the face seemed more cartoony or low res than the other characters though. I want to see it on my big screen later.

Edit: sorry I thought this was about cage.

We'll have to wait and see whether Spark being High actually hurts Baraka or is of no importance to his core gameplan. I won't deny I'm a little worried but I don't like to fully panic about a character being bad before the game is even out so we shall see after release.

Oh and to answer the question it's the everything: The Personality, The Fresh New Moves, The Classic Moves, The gameplan with his KB's that seems to invite patience and punishment, His VA who went from voicing one absolute favorite of mine to the other, The Gear Options we've seen.

Put simply I'm in love.

Last edited:

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
I don't think the spark being high is really going to hurt Baraka significantly. He's never been a zoner, the spark is just a nice tool on his moveset. He's already got pretty good looking normals, and it's possible that some other things might get changed before release--some for the better, perhaps.

The other tools that this Baraka has, I think more than make up for losing the mid spark.

Crimzon-ET

Got Face Huggers?
Outworld characters and species are my favorite aspect of the MK Universe along with the Ninja designs/Clans and Asian Mysticism.

So I'm just glad to see Baraka back and some Tarkatan representation in the game. Tarkatans along with Shokans are classic unique creations from the MK Universe and in American pop culture. So it's awesome to see NRS embracing that and giving Baraka the Leader of the Tarkatans and and General of Shao Kahn's army some due respect in this game and making him the bad ass that he is.

Also on a side note. Wondering through Outworld in MK Deception and checking out every species history and place in Outworld was a highlight for me in the Konquest mode. So seeing that there is a Tarkatan Camp stage in MK 11 is really awesome!. On a side side note of stages. Shang Tsung's Nethership stage is nostalgically epic!

Last edited:

Yoaks

A spaceman
Is the Gutted special universal? And is it a command grab or just a normal special launcher?

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
Having watched Ketchup and Mustard's session it's clear that Baraka has some very strong points, probably more so than Scorpion in the current build. These are my thoughts on him so far.
  • Baraka has limited poking capability. He may lose more interactions than he wins but his payoff will be bigger than that of other characters. He is a big damage character, but he must have Gutted to unlock that damage. I'd go with Gutted and Spikes if his tool set remains as it is now.
  • His fireball being high is a good thing. If it's mid it would have more startup/recovery to compensate for that, making him more susceptible to teleports or jumpins. He is not a zoner so he doesn't really need a mid hitting fireball. It's important to note that the 2nd hit of his ex-fireball hits mid. That's significant considering the offensive bars regenerate very quickly, enabling you to throw ex-fireballs quite regularly.
  • His d2 will stop most crossups, and you can covert using d1~spikes for good damage.
  • After you do ex-Gutted you must use fjp to juggle. That way you stay safe if the opponent uses breakaway. If you go straight to f4 you might have to eat a full combo.
  • Baraka shouldn't chase too hard. His f4 and b2 oh may be enticing to throw out but they'll be baited, you can be sure of that. Plus his pokes are generally poor. It's probably best to play a patient game with him. Like Abigail in SFV. Wait patiently for that one hit, and convert into big damage.
Please do share if you have specific observations. I'm looking to main this bad boy.

Last edited:

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Thing im "disappointed" (as game not even out yet so of course there be changes) is f212 going from +6 to +1 from reveal to stress test builds.
That mk9 baraka was heavily based on frametraps with 22 1+2, u3, b4 etc i was happy they where continuing that on with the char in mk11 but doesnt seem that way now, still has a restand and mix ups like mk9 version did though so happy those things kept

Still undecided if id rather spin over the new spine spikes aa. Prob cause such a legacy move for the character its weird to see changed, same way they changed the blade charge animation to his mk9 xray but they did keep the ild school animation for his u3 which was nice touch

The Ultimate

aka CommandThrower
One thing that I particularly like about Baraka is the way he looks now. He and the Tarkatans have had a lot of designs over the years, but I really think Baraka's MK11 look is his best by far. His musculature, those protruding spines coming out of his shoulders, the artists at NRS really hit it out of the park with Baraka.

I'm happy with him. There are a lot of valid directions you can go with his abilities. Gutted+Spines is a popular one, but personally I really like Lunge+Kebab; there are so many opportunities for mixups with it.

His poke game can be really oppressive with Barrage as well, so I may try that more when the beta drops. DF1 is basically like a D4 that's 8 frames and -3 on block, so it just shuts everyone down at D4 range. Then on hit it's +17, opening up mixups between f4 and something like Lunge. I'm excited at the possibilities.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Having his spark hitting mid would be a bit too much considering how fast his zoning already is, as well as his second spark on the amplified version hitting mid as well. I like that I can clear dodge it by simply ducking, but if it hits mid then I'd have no choice but to either block or jump over it.

That being said- I absolutely loved this character. Played mostly him all throughout the stress test and was racking up a good number of victories with him. Enjoyed him more than Scorpion, personally.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
He’s pretty fun , mid range to close is very good . He kinda gets zoned but Cassie cage and others I’m sure

Malec

Noob
Baraka seems pretty solid, but he is really really basic. What is the overall opinion on his variations? one has higher combo damage the other has a long ranged command grab, any clear winner yet?