What's new

So, I tried the free weekend trial of MK11 on my PS4, and ...

I own the game for PC, and I use a Hori Fighting Commander for Xbox One, and it's an excellent pad. The D-Pad is fantastic and I'd recommend the Controller to anyone. You can also remap the face buttons and shoulder buttons/triggers from the Controller itself, which I believe is something that can not be done with the Hori Fighting Commander for PlayStation 4. I don't like the six button layout, and remapped everything like a traditional controller. Works great.

On the topic of Controllers themselves, I've never used a DualShock 4, so I can't comment on it or its D-Pad at all. I briefly used a Xbox One Controller before picking up the Fighting Commander, and though it's D-Pad is a huge improvement over the Xbox 360's, it still was simply not up to snuff for consistent motions with fighting games.

A few weeks ago I picked up an Xbox One X Special Edition Console, which came with a free second Controller, so I now own two Xbox One Controllers. Interestingly the one that came bundled with the console works very well. its D-Pad is responsive and, while not as good as the Hori Fighting Commander, still works well enough were I haven't needed to use my Fight Pad on the console so much yet.

The second Controller that came free with the console though, that one's D-Pad can barely register a simple down, forward properly. I'd say once or twice out of every ten attempts it'll do it. I reconnected the other Controller to make sure it wasn't me, and it wasn't.

I'm also playing Killer Instinct now and was talking with some of the regulars on the official forums, and they've told me that the Xbox One Controller is excellent for what it's designed for: first person shooters. Even with the plus D-Pad though, it was not designed for the rigours of use for fighting games.

Apparently the D-Pad sits over something that registers the directions presses, metal pads I think they said, and over a relatively short amount of time of use the pads wear out or the D-Pad becomes "unseated," and things stop registering. Usually diagonal inputs are the first to go. Despite both my Controllers being new, apparently they can ship with unseated D-Pads, and that's what they think happened with my second one. It's also just a matter of time for the first to go.

Apparently this issue doesn't really affect shooters or other games with simple D-Pad use, but it's death for playing fighting games.

So if you are on an Xbox One, you'll want to invest in a different controller, like the Hori Fighting Commander or other excellent option mentioned by others above.

D buttons from Battle Beavers, they're great for NRS games, but not very good for fighting games with a lot of circle motion inputs

I am seriously considering one of these just for MK. Is it worth it? Which features are great to get on this controller from the different modification choices?

C-Sword

Noob
I am seriously considering one of these just for MK. Is it worth it? Which features are great to get on this controller from the different modification choices?
Smart triggers for flawless blocking, they are buttons and have less travel distance. You might want to read people's impressions on it first before spending that much money on a controller. Not to mention the life cycle of the PS4 is coming to an end and the Dualshock 4 might not work with the PS5.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/d32as2

Last edited:

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Why did you buy it twice???
Same reason I bought Tekken, SFV, various BB editions, and SC6 twice. I like having pc versions and console versions. I've even been known to get 3 copies of a game like Unist. I got a good deal on the disc when it came out, but wanted the digital edition since discs are a bit of a pain with 2 ps4s.

So basically I'm a glutton with no life and is getting paid more than I deserve with no kids or other major expenses.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Same reason I bought Tekken, SFV, various BB editions, and SC6 twice. I like having pc versions and console versions. I've even been known to get 3 copies of a game like Unist. I got a good deal on the disc when it came out, but wanted the digital edition since discs are a bit of a pain with 2 ps4s.

So basically I'm a glutton with no life and is getting paid more than I deserve with no kids or other major expenses.
Lol there's plenty of good charities out there for people and animals who have nothing or next to nothing