What's new

General/Other Snake-Oil Smoke Bombs: What I Would Trade the Reset for and Why

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Just the fact that we're having the discussion about how he "might" be as good as the top 5 means that he shouldn't have gotten nerfed.

People were and are too eager to change shit around on impulse. If it's not god tier OP it doesn't need to get nerfed.

What justification was there to nerf potentially top 5 subz into mid tier? He should have been left in his 1.03 state.
I don't know.

I just think it would be a terrible double standard if Sub-Zero had his reset stuff taken away and for other characters to all keep theirs. If they should all keep their dirt, NRS should give Sub-Zero his stuff back, but i promise you people would complain 24/7 about Sub-Zero is he had his old groundfreeze reset back. The tears would be unbearable because of how it would operate as a wall carry in conjunction with his corner game...

I think you picked a bad way to say "don't make a big deal about the reset".

There is a difference between a reset and a good tool. A reset was never intended to be part of the character's arsenal. That is all anybody needs to create an excuse. We are good at creating excuses in this community.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I don't know.

I just think it would be a terrible double standard if Sub-Zero had his reset stuff taken away and for other characters to all keep theirs. If they should all keep their dirt, NRS should give Sub-Zero his stuff back, but i promise you people would complain 24/7 about Sub-Zero is he had his old groundfreeze reset back. The tears would be unbearable because of how it would operate as a wall carry in conjunction with his corner game...
It is a double standard to remove Subz damage reset but not others, that's why I supported it then and would like to see it back (even though that will never happen)

And tears from who? Casual players? No competitive level player is gonna get caught with a full reset combo and not be able to break it early unless they fucked up big time.

It's so infuriating to have people lynch mob you because of "damage exploits" when your character isn't even top 5.

You can't seperate damage reset combos from the entirety of the character. Few really think about this.

A character is either broken or not broken based on the sum of their parts. They can't have parts that are broken and parts that aren't. That makes no sense.

If anyone thinks that Smoke, Cyrax, and Jax need nerfs but Sonya, Cage, Kenshi, and Kabal don't that person is clueless about high level play.

The only positions that make sense are nerf them all or leave them all alone.

/rant

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
These aren't even true resets a true reset is supposed to be a 50/50 mix up after u reset the combo.They are more like OTG's then resets.Kabal, Baraka and Ermac and Im probably forgetting someone but all have true resets.IMO these "OTG's" need to be taken out of the game.Even if it means giving them something else idc.

WarfaringStranger

Shao Kahn's creation
It is a double standard to remove Subz damage reset but not others, that's why I supported it then and would like to see it back (even though that will never happen)

And tears from who? Casual players? No competitive level player is gonna get caught with a full reset combo and not be able to break it early unless they fucked up big time.

It's so infuriating to have people lynch mob you because of "damage exploits" when your character isn't even top 5.

You can't seperate damage reset combos from the entirety of the character. Few really think about this.

A character is either broken or not broken based on the sum of their parts. They can't have parts that are broken and parts that aren't. That makes no sense.

If anyone thinks that Smoke, Cyrax, and Jax need nerfs but Sonya, Cage, Kenshi, and Kabal don't that person is clueless about high level play.

The only positions that make sense are nerf them all or leave them all alone.

/rant
Spot on KT.

KT Smith

Giving smoke a low hitbox would make him so unbelievably broken lmao. Rememeber how many times you got AA'd when crossing up/jumping in on tommy wafflez? Multiply that by 5 ;)

Smoke bomb cancels are interesting though. Are you telling me smoke could become a shitty kabal!?

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
i still find it weird people are saying "oh give him this instead" he shouldnt get anything if the resets are removed because they werent meant to be there in the 1st place

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
I'm sure Cyrax would give up resets for a low starter but that doesn't make his resets anymore needed.
Cyrax has such great low pokes that he doesn't really need a low starter. If I had to give up my resets, it would be for a small hitbox. That's like the only thing that would propel Cyrax into god tier without getting really silly imo.

NYCj360

i Use a modded cyber now
The message you were trying to convey just flew completely over everyones heads inlcuding my own. STOP CRYING FOR BUFFS YOU SCRUB, YOU ALREADY HAVE A RESET!! ITS A DAMAGE EXPLOIT, I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP EVERY NIGHT THAT I THINK ABOUT IT AND HOW UTTERLY GAME BREAKING IT IS IN TOURNAMENT!!!!

HE DOESNT NEED IT!!!:REO

LaR

Noob
It really doesn't matter if it's an overhead because there is no reason to ever block low against smoke
you do have to block low against smoke sometimes if you don't he is going to d4 for you all day and get free throw attempts.
d4 / b2 is a great mix up for smoke.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Tbh, if the resets actually made that much of an impact, you'd see more Cyrax/Jax/Smoke players actually placing top 8. Fact is, you don't.

There's more to a game than just damage. There's a reason why characters like Frost in MKDA or Fei Long in ST aren't top tier despite having such consistently viable high-damage options. Shit goes way beyond that.
Jax places top 8 constantly. Cyrax and Smoke both place top 8 constantly as well. CD Jr and Maxter play them, CD Jr won at least one grand final with Smoke by now hasn't he? My point is that they're indisputably very good characters, I think Maxter could get further with Cyrax if he explored more of his meta game and bomb traps. Maxter usually just goes for the net and a dream, however. Despite that, he still consistently places top 8 with him.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
My favorite example is NEC. There were about a dozen known cyrax players there. You know who made top 8? Only Maxter.
Take Cyrax' reset away and give him any of the tools you mentioned. 99% of those players would've placed the same or worse.