What's new

Tech Smoke's Standing 3 has more cancel advantage the later it hits in its animation

For example at point blank range, 3~sb does not true combo, however at max range smoke's 3~sb does true combo. This is gimmicky but useful in the counterpoke game; after you hit a d3 at long range, you're left with a few options: dash in d4 (regular d4 even if you're in range will not be useful at max range), dash in d3 (more likely as it's faster), b2 (predictable as it's the only move that'll hit NOT off a dash, easy to fuzzy guard/frame count guard the low/overhead mixup here, dash in 2(14), dash in 3d1(2). Opponents with low d3s (kenshi, skarlet, shang, etc) are able to escape just about ALL of these options by mashing d3. their d3s will hit d4 out of startup, hit your d3 out of startup, hit your b2 out of startup (not trade!), hit your 214 out of startup, and hit your dash-in 3d12 out of startup.

WHERE THIS TECH COMES INTO PLAY:

Since after a long range d3 hit you must dash before doing 3d12 in order for it to combo, it is extremely easy to poke out of this for some characters with a d3. However, from a long range d3 (not max range, but long range) you can go immediately into a standing 3 and it will work as a "low crush" so to speak; it will go over their d3 and connect for a hit. At this range you can't go into 3d12 because the d12 whiffs, you can link 3 straight into sb from this range and it's just far enough to true combo into smoke bomb and pop up for a combo. Normally this isn't possible!

Why not use Smoke's 32 instead?

Honestly i'm not 100% sure. Sometimes it seems to work, and other times it seems not to. This is really hard for me to test by myself, and I'm really fucking bad at this game so this isn't something I'm usually even able to pull off in a real game. That's where you guys come in! Take a look at this, see if you can play with it and make some fun stuff work. I'm willing to bet that this is a universal thing with all of every characters' moves, it works for rain's (i think) b3 into d1 water spout geyser kick whatever the fuck vertical strike special in the corner off a max range b3, which isn't a special link but you see what i'm getting at. This is just the tip of the iceburg for how this applies to smoke, what other info does everyone have on this specifically for smoke?

TLDR: Point blank smoke 3~sb does not true combo, max range smoke 3~sb DOES true combo

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Standing 3 is quite good for clipping d3 and d4's from just outside their effective ranges, if you input 3~sb and it hits you can probably practice whiff punishing baited pokes with it, best application is probably to avoid dialing 3d12 when it might whiff. Pretty nice :D