What's new

Question Smoke's Online Lag

Kevlang

Noob
I'm getting extremely frustrated playing as Smoke on Xbox Live. I can nail his anti-airs and combo resets flawlessly while playing offline or in practice mode. However, when I get into online matches, it's so inconsistent... I look like a fool dropping almost every combo, but it's the freaking lag that's causing my dropped combos.My most commonly dropped combo is after 3, D1, 2... when I dash in to follow up with 3, D1, 2, I'll drop it about 1 out of every 3 times...Is there a trick to timing, or are there any combos that are less susceptible to lag.

Hanzer0

Wanna order chinese later?
I do all his njp combos online all the time. I hit his resets most of the time as well. It's just practice i guess and kind of having a feel for how much delay your inputs will have. I adjust the timing and speed to help me overcome some lag.

SZSR

Noob
Yeah that's mostly it, you just have to play a lot to get adjusted to the timing, the only problem is that you develop bad habits with it.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
On the bright side, Smokes footsies are hella buffed online. Even though there is a hefty gap between D1 into smoke bomb, the timing to interrupt that online is much stricter. Punishing a smoke bomb online is a little trickier too unless you have an 8 frame attack.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Smoke's D1~SB is dumb as hell online, you can rarely interuppt with normals if at all. Also his zoning with Smoke Ball in general is dumb because the opponent can rarely reaction block it. The compensation is that once they get near it's hard to AA a jump in online and poke out, so GG's to Smoke's defence.

Also, B2 (block), throw and other strings like 11, throw are very hard to escape due to lag. Honestly if you want to do well in tournament just avoid Smoke online altogether, or if you must play him online don't use the above shenanigans too much.

Kevlang

Noob
Thanks for the help everyone. xSMoKEx I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone in dealing with the lag, especially with the anti airs. I seem to lose to most JIP's when I feel like my standing 2 should have connected. I feel like I lose almost all air to air exchanges even though JK-Air Throw should have priority...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!
Thanks for the help everyone. xSMoKEx I'm relieved to hear that I'm not alone in dealing with the lag, especially with the anti airs. I seem to lose to most JIP's when I feel like my standing 2 should have connected. I feel like I lose almost all air to air exchanges even though JK-Air Throw should have priority...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
My biggest problem online is the AA- ing. When I fail I eat full combo(40-50%). If I AA them I get 20-30%. I have 50% success with it. Combos are not that big problem, just get use to the time ing. But AAs and counter poking just suck online.

Smoke's D1~SB is dumb as hell online, you can rarely interuppt with normals if at all. Also his zoning with Smoke Ball in general is dumb because the opponent can rarely reaction block it. The compensation is that once they get near it's hard to AA a jump in online and poke out, so GG's to Smoke's defence.

Also, B2 (block), throw and other strings like 11, throw are very hard to escape due to lag. Honestly if you want to do well in tournament just avoid Smoke online altogether, or if you must play him online don't use the above shenanigans too much.
Didn't you get super amazing by playing online matches with Smoke? (Huge fan by the way :D)

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
Yeah i got most of my general game knowledge like combo's, meter management, etc by playing online but most of if not all advanced fundamental play comes from offline training with two local players. You can't really hit things like counter pokes consistently online. WannabePlayer

Jumping is broken online. It's funny how much of the Jump we don't actually see and our minds fill in the blanks making it appear as a fluid jump by memory. But in reality everything goes unchecked and the jumper gets an uncontested jip.
Look on the bright side, look at how many online warrior appeared to become serious offline competitors. That's right, fucking nobody. It's literally impossible

It's an optical bug. it's pretty upsetting really. Because of it we lost a great deal of our scene and online players don't have access to the type of match exp they would really need.
It's pretty fucked up to know that it's way more dangerous to jump in in this game than it is in street fighter but online would never know that. Not until its to late and their money has been spent

Miss Kanzuki

*KANZUKI GOON SQUAD*
i was excited about Smoke til I came across the lag with Smoke..still gonna keep up with him as a secondary lol

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
AAing online is on anticipation, not reaction. I could AA anyone if I expected them to jump. On reaction, it was impossible. Literally.

Smoke is either shit or gdlk online. Gdlk if you abuse certain lag tactics and your opponent falls for all his gimmicks.. Shit if you want to be legit about his playstyle, and your connection sucks.