What's new

Tech - Smoke Smoke whiffing hard

Orangutan

WutanOrangutan
Of smokes strings I think that b21 - (3)/(4) is one of the best. He teleports to the opposite side of the opponent on the second hit, and both hits are mids.
Much to my dismay I realised that a significant portion of the cast can actually make the second hit whiff simply by low blocking.

You can see in the video that the second hit of the string whiffs a low blocked sub zero, regardless of whether or not the first hit connects... anyone else noticed this ? reckon its an intentional feature ?

This string is almost unusable against any cast member with a low-ish crouch blocked hitbox, and it leads to full punish

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Yep, does it with characters who duck really low. Like Jacqui and maybe Scorpion. Just don't use it in those matchups where the person can duck it. There's also a gap that they can punish you for there. Might not be his best string for straight up pressure or anything but it's definitely not useless. I use it for anti-airing sometimes, it's hard and more of a read than a reaction but it makes you feel good when you hit em lol. F21 is a good string to use also - you can also follow it up with a 3/4/teleport/whatever. B21 is pretty good for getting in and at full screen you can make somebody instantly block by whiffing B2 then throw Smoke Bomb, whiff B2, then do B21 or something like that. Just means you need to be smart when using the string and you can't just spam it for free mixups and pressure all the time. My 2 cents this early on, anyway.

Orangutan

WutanOrangutan
Yep, does it with characters who duck really low. Like Jacqui and maybe Scorpion. Just don't use it in those matchups where the person can duck it. There's also a gap that they can punish you for there. Might not be his best string for straight up pressure or anything but it's definitely not useless. I use it for anti-airing sometimes, it's hard and more of a read than a reaction but it makes you feel good when you hit em lol. F21 is a good string to use also - you can also follow it up with a 3/4/teleport/whatever. B21 is pretty good for getting in and at full screen you can make somebody instantly block by whiffing B2 then throw Smoke Bomb, whiff B2, then do B21 or something like that. Just means you need to be smart when using the string and you can't just spam it for free mixups and pressure all the time. My 2 cents this early on, anyway.
Yeah fair enough dude, rather frustrating though isnt it. I was sure that the gaping hole between the 2 hits was the big tradeoff for it having such great properties, I guess its not the only one though... Cant help but think this was maybe a hitbox error, its just too big a problem