What's new

Match-up Discussion smoke vs kung lao matchup

Gixxerkid66

ChadtheDad412
Ok smoke users whats everyone's strategy vs Lao? I've read some stuff but just trying to pick your brains before mlg Raleigh as i was just wrecked by yet another KL player in the online qualifier. Any help/strategy would b appreciated so don't b shy.

Stay low, most of his stuff hits high (except his overhead which gets you out of pressure if he hits you anyway). Attack him with b2,3 to smoke bomb for a combo when you get the chance to punish. D1 poke works well, just dont abuse it or you'll eat 30% + off a spin. Shake any and all hats if he throws any. DON'T Jump in on him, spin will eat you alive.
Thats all I can think of at 1:30 am here, if you need to know anything else just post.

Gixxerkid66

ChadtheDad412
thanks man, what do you normally go with after d1 poke? frame trap with d3 d4 b2 or do you go another direction with it all together?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
There was already a thread about this, but here was my reply:

KT Smith NYC said:
You can only get damage against Lao with b+2, oki, and punishes (excluding lucky risk payoffs). You can't fight him inside spin range, you just can't. but then again no character can. As soon as your opponent sees you'll be doing anything up in his face they can spin you out of it. You also can't jump against KL ever ever ever. If you get away with jumping in a KL match that just means your opponent wasn't on the ball or had a bad reaction.

The secret to beating KL from neutral is spacing. You gotta stay at sweep distance or just outside, because that's where he can't reach you without moving in, but you can hit him with b+2 or dash cancel a sweep or something to start oki. KL is very vulnerable in Smoke's oki game, just make better reads and he's toast. If he rolls at you block; if he spins punish. If he does anything else GTFO with drift or b+3 to send him fullscreen or EX shake or something, just get out of there. If he catches you in his rushdown you're screwed.

PeeJaeys

Sabi
There is so much you can do to kung lao it's not even funny. Oh man, just remember practice makes perfect. I'll leave it at that.

Gixxerkid66

ChadtheDad412
Thanks again for the help...i messed around with the d1 poke to shut down his rush down then got the heck out of range against a pretty good Lao last night and it seemed to work out pretty well. If i am able to keep him in the "block smoke ball combo d1 d3 d4 b2 3 smoke bomb - repeat" from the video is he able to spin out of it?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
He can also cross up between pokes if he's quick enough. Watch out for those.

Also, just as a general rule, if you're wondering "can he spin me after (insert action)?" The answer is yes 95% of the time.

Also also, that poke string isn't a combo, its just an example of applying heavy poke pressure.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

SZSR

Noob
Best punish upclose for spin is 2, 1, smoke bomb. If he blocks it, try your hardest to d1 and get out of there. Never jump in on him, and don't try to get cocky if you have the life lead. Additionally, a thing that Kungs usually catch me in is if the have Xray and I sweep or d4, they can use armor to take the blow and severely punish you, so be careful when using sweep and d4 upclose and he has Xray, there are better options you can use like d3, and d1. Always try to block after a mid screen whiffed Smoke bomb. He can get in pretty easily and isn't afraid to do so.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
Enhanced Shake beats spin and enhanced Spin(any wakeup spin too). So if he's getting predictable with spin and you have meter... use it.
You just have to be close to enhanced shake his normal spin because normal spin has shorter range.

Note: Enhanced shake doesn't beat Kung's X-ray, and he also has a low combo starter that beats enhanced shake.