What's new

Breakthrough Smoke up close!

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
of course you can use it sparingly, my point was just to be careful and know the risk involved, because any serious player would know the risk, and i cant see you getting away with it regularly.

arydious

Noob
the 21 xx smoke bomb is nice. From what I have found out though is the other people will get impatient and try to jump that's when smoke strikes.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I've actually been doing this recently following a throw (after Smoke Towards). I don't alternate between D1 and Standing 2 too much though because if they crouch, standing 2 doesn't hit at all and they can catch you with a low poke. I've had a skilled Kitana reverse the situation on me with her own D1~cutter. Instead, I follow it with another throw, or continue standalone D1 pressure and sparingly use D4 and B2 to throw them off-guard.

arydious

Noob
I've actually been doing this recently following a throw (after Smoke Towards). I don't alternate between D1 and Standing 2 too much though because if they crouch, standing 2 doesn't hit at all and they can catch you with a low poke. I've had a skilled Kitana reverse the situation on me with her own D1~cutter. Instead, I follow it with another throw, or continue standalone D1 pressure and sparingly use D4 and B2 to throw them off-guard.
See there is so much to do from this situation. I can see Kitana turning it her d1 is like a mile long. Can always bait the d1 from her then cross over jump

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Any smoke bomb following a blocked string is not playing smart.

It has around 10f recovery. your fastest poke is 6f or so, that means that after blocking a smoke bomb any move that is ~15f (correct me if my frame-maths failed) is going to be a free punish on you if you try to poke after, and anything faster than about 10f is going to hit you regardless, whether you block or not.

After some moves from the right spacing you can be a little more safe if your opponent has dinosaur arm normals, but theres no logic in doing something unsafe to make your opponents respect it. If its unsafe, and they are blocking, they NEVER have to respect it.

Thats like Kung Lao doing spins in peoples face, or raiden doing supermans in blockstrings, just so they know its there.

Off blocked strings the best thing you can do is hit confirm into a drift on block, and only smoke bomb when you get the hit.

I know i might sound a bit rude and harsh, but there is NO logic in what you are saying. You dont use punishable moves on blocking opponents regardless. You can risk it sure, a few months ago people didnt even think it was punishable, and were using smoke bomb xx d1 on block as a trap/blockstring. Now we know better, and i can surely say myself that i have been punished enough for it to take it out of my playstyle . Learn what spacing smoke bomb become unsafe, and dont throw smoke bombs there.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Whenever i fight smoke i always expect a smoke bomb after strings. especially as he pretty much does the bomb straight after an attack because of the recovery time i get a free attack regardless, even if it's blocked YOU'VE still lost all chance of pressure you could have had.

I really wouldn't advise doing it, unless you do it like once a game and THAT'S it.

DirtyBalls

Banned
up close i use d1 pressure and also 214. if 214 is blocked i just thow in a d1. if my opponent keeps poking out of my 214 pressure i throw in a smoke bomb, dont know if this is a good strategy offline, but online it works for me :) lol.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
If you use D3 either after d1, or instead of, 214 is guaranteed and they will never poke out. D3 gives enough advantage (on hit, watch out) for a free 214, on block. Now if the try to do anything but block you can combo of 21xxsmoke bomb (not easy to hit confirm) or 214xxEX smoke bomb (easy to hit confirm)

Off a blocked 214, you can do all sorts of shit, go back into pokes, drift forward or back, you know the score im sure. Just wanted to add the part about D3 advantage.