What's new

Breakthrough Smoke up close!

arydious

Noob
I have read many people saying that smoke sucks against the rush down. Really the only person who has argued otherwise is [MENTION=2765]KT Smith[/MENTION] NYC, So knowing that generally what he says about smoke to be true I set out on a mission to learn more with smoke.

While on this mission i learned most of the cast of MK as well, it truly is amazing what you can take from all the characters and apply to your character.

I without a doubt now know KT Smith was correct, I have learned something with smoke that basically throws up a wall. So far i have tested it against Raiden, Lui Kang, and Johnny Cage and it completely shuts them down. It is actually really simple to figure out but to perform it perfectly all the time is not as easy, and if you mess up your opponent will get the best of you.

I am not going to reveal what I have learned yet, because im going to test it against Michelangelo's Kabal here real soon and I do not want him to see it first haha. I also am hoping this will spark enough people in the smoke community to go out there and learn more things with smoke.

Go forth and learn!

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Smoke's rush/up close game is extremely strong. Without a doubt one of the best characters up close when offensive, however defending up close can be iffy. but you never have to go from an offensive to defensive situation if you don't push your luck.

Things like 214 drift back on block gives you a way out without reversing pressure, and positions you for more shenanigans. You have enough advantage off low pokes to guarantee 214 is blocked, so really there's no excuse for you to push it. If you predict your opponent is going to armour through you, or you just feel that your pressure is running out and you need a breather then you can back off and play a footsie/positioning game from mid screen. Getting back in with smoke isn't that hard, and he can play perfectly well from mid/full screen so its a good option to have.

Im not saying that you should always end your pressure. But there is that point when your pokes and strings are getting a bit worn, you haven't managed to open them up yet, and you can see that armoured move coming from a mile off because its an easy way out of pressure.

I know this shouldnt really be classed as "Rushdown" because backing off seems completely opposite, but smoke plays so well from anywhere on the screen that you should avoid being on the other end of rushdown at any cost!

Ravox

Winter is Coming...
OH NOT THIS AGAIN u_u

I tought this ''mistery'' shit would end with NECXII.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Hmm, I wonder if your tech is the same as mine...

EDIT: you're wording of "throws up a wall" makes me think it isn't

mine is an escape tech

arydious

Noob
People should consider making topics like this after they've tested out their tech.

I said i said above I have tested it against some fast characters aka Johnny Raiden, and Liu Kang. SO you should read the whole thing before posting a snide comment. I also said im not posting it so Michelangelo doesn't get a chance to read it.

[MENTION=2765]KT Smith[/MENTION] hmm we should definitely see, I added you on PSN so it would be great to play a top smoke

mine is not escape tech though.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I said i said above I have tested it against some fast characters aka Johnny Raiden, and Liu Kang. SO you should read the whole thing before posting a snide comment. I also said im not posting it so Michelangelo doesn't get a chance to read it.
I wasn't trying to be snide. You said you aren't revealing it until after you "test" it on MichaelAngelo's Kabal because you don't want him to see it first. So again, topics like this shouldn't be made until you're ready to reveal the tech, and have tested it on whoever you want to test it on first.

But what's done is done. Just throwing that out there. Don't take it personally--I'm always glad to see people finding new things out with Smoke.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder

[MENTION=2765]KT Smith[/MENTION] hmm we should definitely see, I added you on PSN so it would be great to play a top smoke

mine is not escape tech though.
Ok, I haven't connected my ps3 to the Internet in a dogs age. I don't really like playing online but we can get some games in.

arydious

Noob
I wasn't trying to be snide. You said you aren't revealing it until after you "test" it on MichaelAngelo's Kabal because you don't want him to see it first. So again, topics like this shouldn't be made until you're ready to reveal the tech, and have tested it on whoever you want to test it on first.

But what's done is done. Just throwing that out there. Don't take it personally--I'm always glad to see people finding new things out with Smoke.
Sorry bro guess i did come off as an ass, i do see where you are coming from I was on my high horse this morning when i responded lol

arydious

Noob
Ok, I haven't connected my ps3 to the Internet in a dogs age. I don't really like playing online but we can get some games in.
Sweet yeah ill make sure i have the hardwire connection in when we play cause i feel you I hate online as well, but sometimes it has to do. I refused to play it for a while but [MENTION=352]BasedGod88[/MENTION] aka marvaz told me he got good from online so i learned it wasnt completely worthless

arydious

Noob
OK so i got to test it today against Mike, it was very effective, but really is hard to do consistently, the wall did force him to mess up which got me a combo off on him, but it was not easy to do, even the slightest mess up and they can get out and punish you.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Close this thread.

This shit is stupid.
Not until I have good reason to think it's trolling. Arydious has never done anything of the sort in his time on the forums and I have no reason to believe he'd start now.

[MENTION=7807]arydious[/MENTION], however, if too much time goes by or if you've changed your mind about revealing the tech I will have to close the thread.

SZSR

Noob
I have read many people saying that smoke sucks against the rush down. Really the only person who has argued otherwise is [MENTION=2765]KT Smith[/MENTION] NYC, So knowing that generally what he says about smoke to be true I set out on a mission to learn more with smoke.

While on this mission i learned most of the cast of MK as well, it truly is amazing what you can take from all the characters and apply to your character.

I without a doubt now know KT Smith was correct, I have learned something with smoke that basically throws up a wall. So far i have tested it against Raiden, Lui Kang, and Johnny Cage and it completely shuts them down. It is actually really simple to figure out but to perform it perfectly all the time is not as easy, and if you mess up your opponent will get the best of you.

I am not going to reveal what I have learned yet, because im going to test it against Michelangelo's Kabal here real soon and I do not want him to see it first haha. I also am hoping this will spark enough people in the smoke community to go out there and learn more things with smoke.

Go forth and learn!
Cool, looking forward to it. If it rivals all other rushdowns, i'll be a happy Smoke! :D

arydious

Noob
@ KT Smith I understand,

I am still stalling to reveal it. I am trying to really really put it through the ringer to see what can beat it and what can't I dont feel like posted something and having everyone trying to flame me for it. So i am just trying to be fully educated on it so I can answer people correctly.

Secondly Im really hoping more people will get out there and learn new things with their character, its sad how many people are just disgusted with this thread as it is. It really is a huge disapointment to see the MK community being a bunch of babies, and always willing to hop on the first chance they can to try to flame or troll someone. Its no wonder the game is having such a hard time in tournaments etc. I mean storm had to stream the damn game from his phone.

So to all the MK community stop fucking trolling and hating on each other and start playing the fucking game! Really we should all be out there supporting each other not getting on everyone's asses about something. I completley understand now why people don't come to the forums, and talk MK with people.

KT go ahead and close the thread Ill talk with you about the stuff I found if you find it worthy then you post it, im not willing to contribute to a community of jerks.

SZSR

Noob
@ KT Smith I understand,

I am still stalling to reveal it. I am trying to really really put it through the ringer to see what can beat it and what can't I dont feel like posted something and having everyone trying to flame me for it. So i am just trying to be fully educated on it so I can answer people correctly.

Secondly Im really hoping more people will get out there and learn new things with their character, its sad how many people are just disgusted with this thread as it is. It really is a huge disapointment to see the MK community being a bunch of babies, and always willing to hop on the first chance they can to try to flame or troll someone. Its no wonder the game is having such a hard time in tournaments etc. I mean storm had to stream the damn game from his phone.

So to all the MK community stop fucking trolling and hating on each other and start playing the fucking game! Really we should all be out there supporting each other not getting on everyone's asses about something. I completley understand now why people don't come to the forums, and talk MK with people.

KT go ahead and close the thread Ill talk with you about the stuff I found if you find it worthy then you post it, im not willing to contribute to a community of jerks.
Let's not get hasty arydious, these people simply see it as a tease post, and don't have the patience to wait it out. Although I do agree, with the state the MK community is right now, it's not a wonder it's still alive since the good organizers are putting it all on their backs.

Guys show respect please.

Making the thread wasn't entirely justified, really. You don't dangle a cookie in front of a fat kid and tell him he has to wait days or weeks before he can eat it; Don't dangle new tech in front of a community and then withhold it. Just wait until you test it and THEN tell us all about it. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you're kind of bringing the hate upon yourself. I personally am very excited to see what it is that you have up your sleeve, but it's killing me knowing that there's something really good about smoke's rushdown that most, if not all, other smoke players are completely unaware of and it's not being shared. It makes it seem like the playing that I do and my practice methods are outdated and inferior, and of course I (like anyone else) would be upset about it. This is a game about knowledge and execution... with lacking knowledge the equation for success isn't solvable. I understand you're excited, and rightly so. Just.... in the future, wait until you ACTUALLY test it and ACTUALLY have some solid information to put in to writing before you actually come out with it. Doesn't detract from my want to see what the hubbub is about :)

arydious

Noob
Alright I have tested it out a lot now. Also because without many people in this smoke community i would not have become as good as I am today, (i am not saying im good). I will tell it now.

Its really simple and i believe people have just overlooked this and how effective smoke is at poking.

I discovered this going for a standing 2 anti air. THe opponent landed just in front of me so i hit him in the face and followed up with a d1 which he block, having a brain fart i dash 2 dash d1 dash 2 dash d1.

Thats the wall dash 2 dash d1 The 2 hits the in the face and d1 comes out fast enough to keep it going, they get greedy and try to jump out and bam you just anti aired them. follow up with dash d1 dash d1 smokebomb or what ever you want.

You notice i do not throw in any d3 or d4's. Now you ask why? It is very simple actually a really good player can see it coming and crossover you, guess what that leads to you getting raped.

The only thing that has stalled it is if the other guy low pokes, but even that is not 100% for them, and you can hit them. This really just puts you in a very good position to take over control of the match.

Rant discuss or flame, Also remember it does require a high execution on your part so you will be moving them fingers at lightspeed its not a slow movement at all.

I've always found that d1 dash d1 dash d1 really throws people for a loop. They never seem to be able to know how to get out of it and I get bored after a few go-rounds and just throw LOL so I'll definitely try to learn how to incorporate this into my game :)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
This is a good poke string, just the D1 dash d1 on its own is frustrating and hard to escape from, epecially throwing your premature anti air 2 in, only thing i can see being a problem is the between 2 and d1 theres plenty of time to counter poke and get out, or even get their own pressure going. Thats bad in my oppinion. d1 into 3d12 into d1 loops are pretty frustrating, so much so that my friend who is by no means great at this game, but can hold his own, decided that getting hit by the 3d1 and breakering was the most idiot proof way he could get out, and started saving his meter for my frame game instead of going for damaging combos and setups using his EX meter. Now thats a mindset that i want an opponent to be in!

This is a good poke string, just the D1 dash d1 on its own is frustrating and hard to escape from, epecially throwing your premature anti air 2 in, only thing i can see being a problem is the between 2 and d1 theres plenty of time to counter poke and get out, or even get their own pressure going. Thats bad in my oppinion. d1 into 3d12 into d1 loops are pretty frustrating, so much so that my friend who is by no means great at this game, but can hold his own, decided that getting hit by the 3d1 and breakering was the most idiot proof way he could get out, and started saving his meter for my frame game instead of going for damaging combos and setups using his EX meter. Now thats a mindset that i want an opponent to be in!
You could discourage people from trying to counter poke after repeated 2s by sometimes doing 21 xx smoke bomb instead.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You could discourage people from trying to counter poke after repeated 2s by sometimes doing 21 xx smoke bomb instead.
And a seasoned player will punish you for throwing a smoke bomb during a blocked string. Be careful with it.

And a seasoned player will punish you for throwing a smoke bomb during a blocked string. Be careful with it.
Obviously there's a risk involved. You need to be able to keep people honest, though. If they know you're never going to do 21 xx smoke bomb because you're worried about it being punished, they're never going to respect that option.