What's new

Question Smoke problem.

It seems like when my oppenents blocks high everytime i can't do shit...
all i can do is sweep and grab, maybe a few combos if i got him with my smoke bomb.

Altsa

Make them block low, abuse his fastest sweep in the game, throw them, use d+4(on hit smoke has an advantage). Chip them to death with 3,d+1,2 that has frame advange on block and use blockstring into smokebomb traps. Smoke has the tools.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Grab and sweep, grab and sweep. Smoke is a counter zoner. Wait for your opponent to attack then punish them with shake/EX shake, teleport punch, smoke forward into combo, smoke away into smoke cloud then combo, or if you have meter an x-ray. smoke cloud and teleport punch are some of the fastet moves in the game, however they are easily punished on block. That's why smoke relize so much on grabs and sweeps to make the opponent hesitant to blocking. When the opponent is scared to block because of the grab, it opens up the smoke cloud and teleport punch because they are so fast. When they start blocking the smoke cloud and teleport punch again it opens up the grab and the sweep. If there is one general piece of advice with smoke I would have to give it is PLAY TO HIS STRENGTHS WHICH IS LIKE I SAID COUNTER ZONING. IT MAY SOUND A LITTLE CRAZY BUT TRY LETTING YOUR OPPONENT BE THE AGGRESOR FOR A LITTLE BIT AND TRY TO COUNTER HIM. IT FEELS WIERD AT FIRST BECAUSE YOUR SO USE TO BEING AGGRESIVE WITH SO MANY OTHER CHARACTERS, BUT ONCE YOU LEARN HOW TO REACT AND PUNISH YOUR OPPONENT YOU WILL SEE THE TRUE STRENGTH TO SMOKE. (JUST MY OPINION.)

hmm, i need to learn to do a shake on reflex when they throw something at me. and when i do smoke away/towards to distract them they just turtle in the back in the map blocking and waiting till i teleport, what should i do than?

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
YOUR DOING IT AT THE WRONG TIME. YOU SMOKE AWAY WHEN THEY ARE JUMPING IN AT YOU OR TRING TO PRESSURE. GET THEM INTO A HABIT OF CHASING YOU AND WHEN THEY OVER PURSUE SMOKE AWAY AND SMOKE CLOUD. DON'T EVER USE SMOKE AWAY/FORWARD TO DISTRACT THEM. ALWAYS USE IT TO ESCAPE PRESSURE AND PROJECTILES THEN PUNISH. LIKE I SAID IT FEELS WIRED AT FIRST BE SO REACTIVE THAN BEING PROACTIVE, BUT SMOKE AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL IS COUNTERING YOUR ATTACKS.

As it has been said the throw and sweep are the keys to punishing the high blocking. When they turtle you can just go invisible. I know it is rarely used but I have dealt with this for awhile against good players. They turtle against Smoke since he is so reactive to aggression. It is amazing how doing a EX Invisible how a turtler will immediately get up and become aggressive so you can not just dash up and crush them.

Jamison

Noob
Grab and sweep, grab and sweep. Smoke is a counter zoner. Wait for your opponent to attack then punish them with shake/EX shake, teleport punch, smoke forward into combo, smoke away into smoke cloud then combo, or if you have meter an x-ray. smoke cloud and teleport punch are some of the fastet moves in the game, however they are easily punished on block. That's why smoke relize so much on grabs and sweeps to make the opponent hesitant to blocking. When the opponent is scared to block because of the grab, it opens up the smoke cloud and teleport punch because they are so fast. When they start blocking the smoke cloud and teleport punch again it opens up the grab and the sweep. If there is one general piece of advice with smoke I would have to give it is PLAY TO HIS STRENGTHS WHICH IS LIKE I SAID COUNTER ZONING. IT MAY SOUND A LITTLE CRAZY BUT TRY LETTING YOUR OPPONENT BE THE AGGRESOR FOR A LITTLE BIT AND TRY TO COUNTER HIM. IT FEELS WIERD AT FIRST BECAUSE YOUR SO USE TO BEING AGGRESIVE WITH SO MANY OTHER CHARACTERS, BUT ONCE YOU LEARN HOW TO REACT AND PUNISH YOUR OPPONENT YOU WILL SEE THE TRUE STRENGTH TO SMOKE. (JUST MY OPINION.)
Great opinion. This is EXACTLY how to play Smoke FTW. Too many times when I was developing Smoke as my main I was 3,d+1, 2'ing it to death hoping to string a high damage combo. However, the block high eliminates all the damage and your opponent just waits for the opportunity to punish you. JHCrane's points are spot on, Smoke has the fastest sweep in the game and if you continue to do this your opponent starts blocking low to avoid the footsie damage, this is when you mix it up and start 3,d+1, 2, hits every time. Shake is key against the zoner, but also teleport punch is a good counter for projectiles as well depending on what type. Use smoke cloud for spacing, too many times I see Smoke players use it as an offensive move, very punishable.

Jamison

Noob
Wow while typing you guys have had a whole conversation, by the time it posted it was off topic......fail

Jamison

Noob
As it has been said the throw and sweep are the keys to punishing the high blocking. When they turtle you can just go invisible. I know it is rarely used but I have dealt with this for awhile against good players. They turtle against Smoke since he is so reactive to aggression. It is amazing how doing a EX Invisible how a turtler will immediately get up and become aggressive so you can not just dash up and crush them.
I've never tried this, but going to see if this works, cool idea.

I have always looked at Turtle player = Mix up

Example:

From full screen-Jump in, jump back

Next- Jump in, jump back

Three- Jump in, jump in again, Jump kick, sweep, if blocked GRAB

Train your opponent like a dog, it all about learned behavior, keep doing the same thing over and over, then when they feel it is going to be the same old thing....SURPRISE