What's new

Question Smoke preventing a wake up attack??

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok guys I need help. I was in training mode the other day and may have stummbled across something. Now I know training mode has bugs so I need help testing against a human, but I don't really have anyone where I live to help and My online connection sucks. So I am sending a challange to all smoke players.

I was doing combos and changing settings. When I had the computer on stand no gaurd and I began a juggle and then did a EX smoke bomb as soon as the hit the ground and got the 10% unblockable damage. Then I change my settings to autoblock, roll, and wake up on. Instead of getting the 10% unblockable I got 2% blockable chip damage but they were left in crouch block. So my real question is can this be done to a human. If a human tries to roll tech block or do a wake up soon as they hit the ground (NOT WHEN THE ROLL TECH BEGINS BUT THE INSTANT THEY HIT THE GROUND.) will it leave a human in crouch block?

It does against the computer in training mode but we all know that is flawed. So if it can be done aginst a human then smoke could prevent a wake up attack by using meter. Also if done correctly the computer did not have time to escape my back 2, 3 combo after a regular smoke cloud into EX smoke cloud and because they can't do a wake up attack and are left in crouch block they eat another combo unless they have meter to break.

Altsa

As far as I know, when you knock your opponent down you can throw EN Smokebomb and IF they are NOT blocking it will deal 10% damage and wont lift them to the top of the screen. IF they ARE blocking, the bomb deals 2% chip damage and leaves your opponent to crouch block. Most likely the bomb will hit if the enemy is doing a wakeup attack. Whether or not this is worth one bar of meter I dont know. This can also be used in the "smoke damage reset-thingy" if your opponent is dumb enough to not block.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Because of fuzzy guard, they will actually be stand blocking on tech roll + block even if the animation is crouching. Crouch blocking can't be forced on player; they have to be pressing down on the dpad/stick.

If they try and wake-up attack, the EX smoke (or even regular) bomb should pull them out of it for a fresh juggle.

cabibi

Noob
There's a caveat to stuffing a wake up attack with the EX smoke bomb, you have to catch them at the right time.... if the EX smoke bomb hits them right when they do the wake up attack, it's not going to hit because most wake-ups have 7 frames of invincibility... you have to time it to hit before they do the attack, or after the 7 frames are over.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok. So you can't force the crouch block, but if timed correctly and they are blocking it will prevent the wake up attack. Example: If I am not mistaken a Johnny Cage wake up EX shadow kick will hit smoke out of his EX shake. So, you could do a guessing game you could do your bnb combo. Jump in combo punch-3,d1,2-dash-3,2-smoke cloud-3,d1,2-dash-jump kick,air throw. This will give you a untechable knockdown allowing for the 10% unblockable damage from EX smoke cloud, but if you were to surprise them and do a EX smoke cloud after they hit the ground from regular smoke cloud it will stuff the wake up. So if you are fighting a Johnny Cage who has a very powerful wake up game this could be a viable option. If he is not blocking because he expects the full combo( does not want to accidently use meter for breaking.) he eats the 10% unblockable damage but, if he is blocking he won't be prepared for the wake up attack and he will get checked by the EX smoke cloud taking away his wake up attack. It may not be the best use of meter but I just find it interesting the smoke can prevent a wake up attack.

Thanks for the input guys. It means alot.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
There are also situations in which the opponent (training dummy too) can just tech roll and maybe punish the :en Smoke Bomb.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok, so I confirmed last night (with cabibi) that smoke can indeed prevent a wake up attack. If you time a EX smoke bomb so that it hits as soon as they hit the ground it will stuff there wake up attack and force them into block mode. If they do not block or try to do a wake up attack they will eat they 10% unblockable damage. This may not always be the best stragety, but against characters with powerful wake up games like Johnny Cage and Raiden it can be useful. The eaiset way to land this is off of the 3,d1,2 chain combo the 3,2 chain combo and after a regular smoke cloud. My bnb with this is jump in combo punch-3,d1,2- dash- 3,2- smoke cloud, and they instant they hit the ground EX smoke cloud. 31% damage + 2% chip block damage =33%. Or they eat the unblockable 10% damage from the EX smoke cloud after the 31% for a total of 41%.