What's new

Match-up Discussion Smoke mu chart mk9

@gg
Both Curbo and CD Jr punished pokes pretty consistently.
yeh but dont hit confirm theirs d3s lol! . your the one who started teaching me this if you remember how mad you and ufg got at me for d3 into b23 not confirm and d1 d1 d1 sb lolol. :) , i respect curbo kabal but curbo also said to me last time we played our sets "hey you know what a good idea is with kabal is double d3 sometimes" , lol i said No!!! thats stupid curbolicious. he tried doing it to me and each time i combo launch . he then had to rethink each time he wanted to poke when realised cudnt just do d3 d3 f4 . d3 f4 on block etc

@gg

yeh but dont hit confirm theirs d3s lol! . your the one who started teaching me this if you remember how mad you and ufg got at me for d3 into b23 not confirm and d1 d1 d1 sb lolol. :) , i respect curbo kabal but curbo also said to me last time we played our sets "hey you know what a good idea is with kabal is double d3 sometimes" , lol i said No!!! thats stupid curbolicious. he tried doing it to me and each time i combo launch . he then had to rethink each time he wanted to poke when realised cudnt just do d3 d3 f4 . d3 f4 on block etc
You are not considering hit levels and other options. You have to consider stuff like respecting the opponent because they might have canceled the poke into something that isn't interruptable and each character is different, especially characters who don't have a fast mid or has bad pokes.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
You are not considering hit levels and other options. You have to consider stuff like respecting the opponent because they might have canceled the poke into something that isn't interruptable and each character is different, especially characters who don't have a fast mid or has bad pokes.
Pretty sure some people are gonna have crush moves in MKX. Saw scorpion do it on the last MKX stream, and I think KL has a low crushing kick.

coolwhip

Noob
As the game evolved, Tyrant's counter-poking became better than CD Jr's. Never seen anyone use Jax's F4 in the counter-poking game like Tyrant.

your not getting it. im not talking about poke cancels into specials in general. theres no reason to block a d3 and d3 the opponent back like they do most games. take lou for example. what are you going to cancel into then? d3 into flying kick lol and i know not all characters have a fast mid string but im talking about cage mirror as an example . im smoke main so i know about bad counter poke game but doesnt mean i spam pokes lol. @coolwhip ive seen probably 80% of his games and you see that impresses you lol. your prooving my point in this thread that his counter/pokes on his best day are not as good than on my very worst days lol. anyway im so sick of this now the ppl messaging me in inbox are right you ppl wont listen. i hope the fundamentals sux as much as they do on mkx because ill have a field day. i offered to show examples of bad poke games by ur favourite players its not hard to find its like in every game on youtube nearly lol.

plus u wanna take the gamble to poke cancel me be my guest ill do 40% in exchange for your 8 -12% (dont wanna gear someone say d1 smoke bomb for 100%) on one character lol. poke cancel into special is not legitimate response for your bad poke games as for example d1 ragdoll do it just get combod

anyone wants ft5 when get xbox360 back beginning march or end feb and ill post. best i can do or offer without going usa tbh. like talking to a one legged runner who thinks he can beat usain bolt

your not getting it. im not talking about poke cancels into specials in general. theres no reason to block a d3 and d3 the opponent back like they do most games. take lou for example. what are you going to cancel into then? d3 into flying kick lol and i know not all characters have a fast mid string but im talking about cage mirror as an example . im smoke main so i know about bad counter poke game but doesnt mean i spam pokes lol. @coolwhip ive seen probably 80% of his games and you see that impresses you lol. your prooving my point in this thread that his counter/pokes on his best day are not as good than on my very worst days lol. anyway im so sick of this now the ppl messaging me in inbox are right you ppl wont listen. i hope the fundamentals sux as much as they do on mkx because ill have a field day. i offered to show examples of bad poke games by ur favourite players its not hard to find its like in every game on youtube nearly lol.
Like I said each character is different. Kenshi can cancel his barge off of d3. If you play like you just said, you would get hit by the barge every single time.

anyone wants ft5 when get xbox360 back beginning march or end feb and ill post. best i can do or offer without going usa tbh. like talking to a one legged runner who thinks he can beat usain bolt
Dude just let it go. At the end of the day you will have to prove it offline at a tournament to prove your point. Everyone is rusty and most people don't care anymore.

It's the same like saying: I am a better boxer than mike tyson and I will prove it by beating him. But mike tyson is not in his prime anymore so even if you beat him it wouldn't prove shit. So just sit back and keep your mouth shut and enjoy mkx when it comes out.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
i can try to play you on pc.. that's the only somewhat of a HALFWAY decent connection sometimes with ppl in europe... me and chris play on xbl together (thats like the only time ill get on that because hes my buddy and i like to kikit with him, even if it is unbareably laggy).

i know you understand the poking meta, but you're being way too critical. yes sometimes you need to hit confirm d3s because when someone is scouting for it to punish a followup you need to either respect him and block / backdash (if your bd is fast enough) / or you can do another d3 or d1 to interrupt his standing punish as long as its not a fast mid (also spacing dependant.

theres more depth in it than just hitconfirming every d3 and blocking everytime. sometimes you need to continue pressure and mixup. you playing smoke, should understand this the best seeing as smoke pressure is pretty fraudy if you know the mu good.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Mk9 fundamentals are probably the most linear out of any I've seen (it could be argued that it doesn't take that much skill in the first place), if you think that skill alone will carry you far in MKX you'd be totally wrong, like I said before where you missed out on injustice you basically hindered yourself from adapting to new mechanics that WILL appear in MKX.

A decent crush/backdash system would throw everything you know already out of the window.

Loads of MK players were baffled at the power of a back dash during early injustice, you'll be no different.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
usin balt doesnt play ultra street fighter unless 7am at night

majority of characters prob dont even have a good poke cancel . this is not an answer its more like players just never reached that level or knowledable enough or fast enough reactions and reads to do it . i give up . this is ppls excuse to not hit confirming and their lazy game plays eg no one punishes jax f4 overhead correct or sonyas 114 they will poke out not full punish strings that go over you . and gaps in strings no one punishes like kabal 111 as example along with tons of others . never see it. maybe once in blue moon i think i seen once domeone punish kabals b12 string and once i seen sonicfox ex cartwheel punish a string that whiffs overhead instead of just string combo punish. dnt think anyone seems to understand apart from handful of ppl tbh and not going to now. and id gladly play any cage in the world liu vs cage up close game if not cage mirror . and yep p1 adv. gna close the comments here no one has prooved anything to me with their reasons and kenshi is different style fundamentals compared to cage up close like said in earlier post :) , @A F0xy Grampa difference being that yeh i will be behind but at least this time around ill have understanding of how frame data works unlike mk9 took me like 2 years playing until started to put into my play when i was a noob lol. dont think anyone has played mk9 anywhere near me with all characters etc so dont listen to random peoples comments on how they think aspects and their own idea of how the game works lol. also mkx depends how much time put into it and who i play against and how much i study . still deciding if i want to waste 2 years of my life on it though or waste of time . will have to see i guess :) but if i do which im 50/50 atm then im gna come with a boom lol and ill never of played injustice its not my style with the characters etc.

majority of characters prob dont even have a good poke cancel . this is not an answer its more like players just never reached that level or knowledable enough or fast enough reactions and reads to do it . i give up . this is ppls excuse to not hit confirming and their lazy game plays eg no one punishes jax f4 overhead correct or sonyas 114 they will poke out not full punish strings that go over you . and gaps in strings no one punishes like kabal 111 as example along with tons of others . never see it. maybe once in blue moon i think i seen once domeone punish kabals b12 string and once i seen sonicfox ex cartwheel punish a string that whiffs overhead instead of just string combo punish. dnt think anyone seems to understand apart from handful of ppl tbh and not going to now. and id gladly play any cage in the world liu vs cage up close game if not cage mirror . and yep p1 adv. gna close the comments here no one has prooved anything to me with their reasons and kenshi is different style fundamentals compared to cage up close like said in earlier post :) , @A F0xy Grampa difference being that yeh i will be behind but at least this time around ill have understanding of how frame data works unlike mk9 took me like 2 years playing until started to put into my play when i was a noob lol. dont think anyone has played mk9 anywhere near me with all characters etc so dont listen to random peoples comments on how they think aspects and their own idea of how the game works lol. also mkx depends how much time put into it and who i play against and how much i study . still deciding if i want to waste 2 years of my life on it though or waste of time . will have to see i guess :) but if i do which im 50/50 atm then im gna come with a boom lol and ill never of played injustice its not my style with the characters etc.
You're a noob I do d1 on block into sheevas b2 against you and it hits you every time. :DOGE

Last edited:
For the record, when reacting to pokes you have to consider duration frames not negative frames, that's why the window of reaction to react to a down 1 which is -13 is actually quicker than the window to punish smoke bombs.

Also this thread has a little too much meat riding and Popsicle tasting for my blood.