What's new

Match-up Discussion Smoke Match-Up Discussion Thread (2012 Post-EVO Update)

Immortal and I still play the game especially since it came out on PC.. i know zaf stlil plays.. i just dont know why u guys in the US stopped playing it..
the only one i know still playing it in the US is Mikemetroid
people in the us still play it on xbox and ps3, it is just the fact ppl don't want to enter it for tournaments anymore, the damn game was only 2 years old, no where near fleshed out.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
BS I just know how good Smoke is. Smoke badly out footsies Scorpion. I have seen that MU played at a high level many times.
I agree, but regardless...who the hell cares what the Scorpion MU is anyways? Scorpion is not Smoke's problem at all in MK. Calling it 7-3 doesn't bother me. Heck you can call it 8-2, or 9-1 if you want lol...

Smoke obviously wins the MU without a doubt and his problems still remain Kabal, Sonya, and Kung Lao.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I might have to post a real MU chart for Smoke. The downplaying is absolutely out of control. Oh no he struggles against Kabal and Sonya...LIKE EVERYONE ELSE IN THE GAME.

xSMoKEx

Coward Character User
GGA 16 Bit

Smoke definitely 7-3's Scorpion he is low tier trash.

Also to those wanting to play MK9 still it's simple; just play. I'm still wanting to play I could care less about injustice and I don't see why we can't hold a mini online series for MK9 regularly, streamed or not.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
GGA 16 Bit

Also to those wanting to play MK9 still it's simple; just play. I'm still wanting to play I could care less about injustice and I don't see why we can't hold a mini online series for MK9 regularly, streamed or not.
dude i bought it on PC and I still play it regularly.. heck am even learning new characters and improving those that i started learning a long time ago :D

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
maybe we should still be looking for some new tech to help in those MUs? :D
I will never discourage anyone from trying to find something that works in a MU. But I will say that I much prefer playing Cage against Kabal than Smoke and that MU is supposedly terrible lol.

GGA 16 Bit

Can we please stop talking about Scorpion and Smoke, it is a waste :p. Confirmed BAD MU for Scorpion. Just seems like a waste debating 6-4 versus 7-3....

Element_

The First Element
I would agree that Smoke vs Sektor is 6.4 in favour of Smoke , you can't just shoot missiles at him , not just the parry but teleport on reaction he has.

GGA 16 Bit

why scorpion got to be low tier trash :(, that hurts my heart lol. Actually it doesn't even matter if it is 6 4 or 7 3, it is just a bad matchup. But it is a matchup scorpion players can manage.

GRieVeR_SKeiTH

bad player
Immortal and I still play the game especially since it came out on PC.. i know zaf stlil plays.. i just dont know why u guys in the US stopped playing it..
the only one i know still playing it in the US is Mikemetroid
People still play MK stateside. It just isn't being streamed as much/ has little pot bonuses
Still don't understand why it wasn't at TFC, SonicFox and I wanted to play for sure.
Mikemetroid how many entrants?

Yes it will be there.

I will have a dedicated stream / recording station.

I bought an avermedia live gamer pro
yo bro that is tight, we should be going to NEC too, so that will make it that much better of a tournament. we'll run some games for sure as well.

i'm going with 7 3, you don't even need to main lao to go to work on smoke, smoke has to work way to hard defensively vs lao. Also lao can punish smoke heavily, abuse smoke's hitbox, and just cause havoc for smoke all around. The only thing going great for smoke in that matchup is his solid pokes to get under lao's high hits and his great damage. But overall, that mathchup is rough.
Okay I am going to revive myself from the dead because there is some mk discussion. I feel like the lao vs smoke matchup is 6-4 lao at best.

to interrupt lao's pressure you will need to poke(especially in smokes case, no fast enough normals and no armor). If you are going to poke anyway, it won't be that bad for you to have a higher hitbox because you will be at neutral crouch and neither standing 1 or 2 will connect on that. smoke might have the best poke set in the whole game all his pokes are good. smoke can mix lao up with b2 and d3/d4 and eventually kung lao will have to spin and the risk reward is not in his favor. imo the ground game is not that bad for smoke at all, the chip and meter he builds from blockstrings are a must for the risks he must take.

the big hitbox on smoke is a big plus for kung lao which makes tele instant 3 a great option for standing punishes against the teleport. smoke players like to punish teleport with d1 which is imo the problem here. if you choose to use d1 as your punishing tool you open yourself up for the basic teleport mixup which is if tele instant 3 gets punished by d1 you go for tele 2 and if they are even a little slow they will also eat tele delay 3 because of smokes hitbox. so smoke players should use standing 2 and dash aways to punish teleports. in matchups like lao vs subzero or lao vs smoke, even though he can abuse their hitbox with teleport, just throwing that teleport out is still a risk and smoke punishes hard.

Okay I am going to revive myself from the dead because there is some mk discussion. I feel like the lao vs smoke matchup is 6-4 lao at best.

to interrupt lao's pressure you will need to poke(especially in smokes case, no fast enough normals and no armor). If you are going to poke anyway, it won't be that bad for you to have a higher hitbox because you will be at neutral crouch and neither standing 1 or 2 will connect on that. smoke might have the best poke set in the whole game all his pokes are good. smoke can mix lao up with b2 and d3/d4 and eventually kung lao will have to spin and the risk reward is not in his favor. imo the ground game is not that bad for smoke at all, the chip and meter he builds from blockstrings are a must for the risks he must take.

the big hitbox on smoke is a big plus for kung lao which makes tele instant 3 a great option for standing punishes against the teleport. smoke players like to punish teleport with d1 which is imo the problem here. if you choose to use d1 as your punishing tool you open yourself up for the basic teleport mixup which is if tele instant 3 gets punished by d1 you go for tele 2 and if they are even a little slow they will also eat tele delay 3 because of smokes hitbox. so smoke players should use standing 2 and dash aways to punish teleports. in matchups like lao vs subzero or lao vs smoke, even though he can abuse their hitbox with teleport, just throwing that teleport out is still a risk and smoke punishes hard.
good breakdown, but smoke gets crushed by lao, 7 3 without a doubt. Smoke can manage tho, so you are quite right about that.

why would you say it is a 7-3 though, thats a pretty big claim. what does your lao do that smoke cant deal with?
I dnt even main lao and there isn't a smoke I can not beat. It really isn't nothing special, when lao is able to play bird lao, it gets really bad for the opposing character. Smoke has a few things to counter lao, but at the highest level, we have seen what happens when a high lvl lao meets a high lvl smoke. That matchup is probably smoke's worst matchup and i'm not even joking. I've heard smoke players talk about how bad it is, and I and others are inclined to agree. If lao can just jump around and bully smoke the whole fight, I couldn't really call that a 6 4.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
oh ppl u dont know nothing about any MUs, check out those gold nuggets from this guy (1150/250 stats):

only online random warriors know best.. u ppl with ur tourneys and offline casuals dont know jack

I dnt even main lao and there isn't a smoke I can not beat. It really isn't nothing special, when lao is able to play bird lao, it gets really bad for the opposing character. Smoke has a few things to counter lao, but at the highest level, we have seen what happens when a high lvl lao meets a high lvl smoke. That matchup is probably smoke's worst matchup and i'm not even joking. I've heard smoke players talk about how bad it is, and I and others are inclined to agree. If lao can just jump around and bully smoke the whole fight, I couldn't really call that a 6 4.

I know bird lao is the thing that makes it bad, but there is no smoke player I have seen properly poke out of kung lao pressure or punish kung lao teleport other than the incorrect punish which is d1.

I know bird lao is the thing that makes it bad, but there is no smoke player I have seen properly poke out of kung lao pressure or punish kung lao teleport other than the incorrect punish which is d1.
I've seen smokes do it, heck I do it myself, still super hard. I was one who thought it was only 4 6, and I found out the hard way that I was wrong. I'm not saying when a lao plays a smoke, the matches won't even be close, but I can guarantee you that the lao player will win a large majority of the matches at the highest level. Lao has a counter for pretty much every prominent tool smoke has, that isn't promising for smoke at all.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Just wanna make a little note here, I asked a small question 2 days ago (page 10) in a thread that wasnt really going and look at all the discussion it has generated.
If this shows anything is that you all secretly want to play more MK9 :) So why don't you all just take out that injustice CD and put good ol' MK9 back in and let's bring this game back to the time when people would shout, cheer and laugh at the epic games it creates.
I know I still am.