What's new

Match Footage Smoke Kasual & Tournament Gameplay Thread

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
DISCLAIMER: I apologize for the wacky angle of the footage :(

Hi all, I recorded a bunch of casuals between [MENTION=5003]SwiftTomHanks[/MENTION], [MENTION=1465]xxteefxx[/MENTION], [MENTION=7890]Stream Worthy[/MENTION] and myself last Friday.

Some background:

Teef and STH came up from Pennsylvania to take part in the Salty Session Friday night before Salty Battles 6. We played at Local Battles until about 2:30 at which point Teef and STH came back to Mine and Stream Worthy's apartment and continued playing from about 4-6am.

It's 95% good gameplay but there are moments when you can tell that the late night was making us do dumb things.

Swift Tom Hanks and Stream Worthy both main Sektor

Teef co-mains Reptile and Kenshi

everyone switched around to their secondaries except me, lol. I wanted to keep playing Smoke.

Good shit all around.

Also, I wasn't able to attend Salty Battles 6 due to prior obligations. That's why you didn't see me in top 8 ;) lol

So I would encourage everyone to record their casuals with Smoke and post them here. Comments on gameplay are welcomed too.

Beautiful, thanks for posting. I had no idea d1 and 2 worked so well together for pressure/situational combo startups

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
The following morning, I finally figured a strat that makes the Smoke/Sektor match a ligit 5/5 with up missile bait.

Good shit though, was fun to watch. The angle wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Thanks again for having us over! Saved us a shitty night sleeping in the car. Free cheesesteaks when you come to Philly.

xxteefxx

Kenshi Moderator
DUUUDE!! dont tell us u didnt record the kenshi Vids O_O......Every time something like that happen to me man and kenshi doesnt have a chance to get recorded ROFL...ask Andrew i swear

hehe nice stuff KT, thnx for posting those....fuck we were hallucinating that day i swear lol

SZSR

Noob
Wow, that Smoke corner game. I swear once Smoke gets someone in the corner they simply melt.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
DUUUDE!! dont tell us u didnt record the kenshi Vids O_O......Every time something like that happen to me man and kenshi doesnt have a chance to get recorded ROFL...ask Andrew i swear

hehe nice stuff KT, thnx for posting those....fuck we were hallucinating that day i swear lol
Sorry teef :( my phone ran out of space and stopped recording right when you went to change the PS3s.

It's ok, this weekend we're all going to generate so much gameplay content; we should record all 3 days lol.

It was a good time I just wish I could have gone to the tournament... you guys are welcome any time.

KT great post man. I really liked you Smoke play. Your pressure was awesome and your spacing was even better. I lost count on how many times you B2,3 people when they are landing from a jump.

So here are some of mine from last nights stream that I uploaded to youtube.

Critique away everyone!

These are me versus RTO Toxic. Some good matches. What you can not see is the 45 minutes leading up to the stream where we played against each other. By the time we played these it was all about adapting and changing what we did earlier.

A Smoke mirror match with Akita, who is a beginner. I was trying to show him a few things about Smoke.

My matches versus Lord of the Fly. First time I have played against Fly's Kabal, and it showed. Lots of mistakes by me in this matchup.

Jimmy Von Vitti matches were right at the end of the night. I honestly played like crap but he is a very good player so that did not help out at all. I spent a lot of this match trying to B2,3 his jump in attempts.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Some pretty good shit, yo. I'm a terrible teacher and Im at work so I just glanced through the videos while they were muted but, for what it's worth, here are my initial comments:

-IMO if they're throwing projectiles at you, the best option is always shake, as opposed to tpunch or drifting through it. The reason is, it's an absolute shut down of the projectile that results in 9% (I think?) damage and, more importantly, an untechable knockdown.

UNLESS, you think they're trying to bait you (like lotf did a few times). in that case, you can still tpunch on reaction and punish (99% on this) every projectile. OR, if their follow up is unsafe (like kabal's dash), simply block. Many times people try and do that to me only to realize "oh yea, smoke doesn't HAVE to shake projectiles"

-Out of a blocked jump in punch, you were following up with a d3. It's more advantageous for you to do d4 because it still jails out of blocked jump in punch and on hit sets you up for all sorts of nasty frame traps (standing 2, b2, standing 3, throw, etc). Eventually, they'll catch on and start blocking low after jump in punch to guard against d4 and at that point, start throwing b2 after blocked jip for a full combo.

-I would avoid using forward smoke drift to initiate offense. that almost always ends badly.

-finally, I know this probably won't be very helpful because I'm a terrible teacher/advice distributer and can't think of a more effective way to say it, but, I would encourage you to be more... creative? with your set ups and pressure.

I too got into a rut where I was always following the same offensive patterns over and over. I actually took a break from Smoke for about a month and played Kabal and when I came back to Smoke had a much better perspective on how I could use his tool set for creative pressure.

KT you are a terrible teacher, and I am quitting the game after reading your post, lol. Thanks for the advice. I went in and put some rebuttals in the quote but it does not change the fact that you are right. It was kind of strange last night since I played Toxic a ton, and then did not play for 3 hours and boom I am playing elite players without any warm up. The timing of the monitor on the stream is very different than my setup at home. You can see all the dropped combos I had. Normally I would hit those with the exception of some of the NJP > tp combos that I just learned the other day.

Some pretty good shit, yo. I'm a terrible teacher and Im at work so I just glanced through the videos while they were muted but, for what it's worth, here are my initial comments:

-IMO if they're throwing projectiles at you, the best option is always shake, as opposed to tpunch or drifting through it. The reason is, it's an absolute shut down of the projectile that results in 9% (I think?) damage and, more importantly, an untechable knockdown.

I seem to have issues getting shake out 100% of the time especially on wakeup, which is why I teleport punch as much as I do to projectiles.

UNLESS, you think they're trying to bait you (like lotf did a few times). in that case, you can still tpunch on reaction and punish (99% on this) every projectile. OR, if their follow up is unsafe (like kabal's dash), simply block. Many times people try and do that to me only to realize "oh yea, smoke doesn't HAVE to shake projectiles"

That sneaking LOTF had me not sure if I was coming or going. I got caught a couple of times trying to bait him by dash canceling the shake but he threw projectiles that hit as I canceled. Just not very good at guessing or baiting I guess.

-Out of a blocked jump in punch, you were following up with a d3. It's more advantageous for you to do d4 because it still jails out of blocked jump in punch and on hit sets you up for all sorts of nasty frame traps (standing 2, b2, standing 3, throw, etc). Eventually, they'll catch on and start blocking low after jump in punch to guard against d4 and at that point, start throwing b2 after blocked jip for a full combo.

Great advice here. Most of those were supposed to be 3,D1,2 block strings but ended up as down 3 due to input error. I think I was going to fast on the stick.

-I would avoid using forward smoke drift to initiate offense. that almost always ends badly.

Yeah going back on watching the videos it seems like for all the good it did the damage I received when it did not work out was a little greater.

-finally, I know this probably won't be very helpful because I'm a terrible teacher/advice distributer and can't think of a more effective way to say it, but, I would encourage you to be more... creative? with your set ups and pressure.

I too got into a rut where I was always following the same offensive patterns over and over. I actually took a break from Smoke for about a month and played Kabal and when I came back to Smoke had a much better perspective on how I could use his tool set for creative pressure.

I pretty much only use Smoke which has honestly not only hurt me in this department, but also in trying to pick up other characters. The matchups are played so much different for other characters I feel like I am learning the whole game over again instead of just a character. Oh well my next long session will be devoted to playing someone else in an attempt to get over this.
Thanks again for the advice, and you do not have to be a great teacher with me. I prefer straight forward honest feedback without the sugar coating to protect my sensitive feelings.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Yea, adjusting to different monitor speeds is not easy.

Whenever I play at local battles I feel like I'm retarded until I adjust to the timing.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Sorry I wasn't on stream more guys, but since Im not actually a VSM player I didn't want to intrude on their coming back party. But at least we got to see some really dominant Smoke play by CD Jr.

When the stream first went live, though, you can catch most of a match between me and busta uppa. It was a little sloppy because I was playing cold and hadn't yet adjusted to the ASUS evo monitor which is incredibly fast (comparable to a CRT); was timing things too early but whatevs. Phil was having problems with his streaming computer so that's all there is of me from last night.

It was super cool commentating though. Was really surprised I got so much love from the stream to be honest lol.

arydious

Noob
cool if i can find my gameplay from dromstruction ill post it. Maybe im embarrassed about it lol, it was my first tourney and i had no IDEA the TV makes so much difference so i dropped shit non stop. I beat the baraka in the corner basically and the Michelangelo wooped on me, and kamikaze got me because i was an EFFing retard lol, his Ermac did throw me off though.

Also im just starting to watch it but i find it hilarious that smoke can do the 10% damage when they are on the ground with EX Smoke, i really dont think people give that move the credit it deserves i have won so many matches with the EX SB ending, just as you beat that kano with it hehe

Also i completley agree with you why the fuck do we smoke players always effing teleport out of desperation, I am glad i saw CD JR do it, i was watching and was like dont do it dont do it, shit he did it. I cant tell you how many matches I have lost because of that shit.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Gonna be at VSM again tonight. Hopefully I'll get just as much play time as commentating time lol

arydious

Noob
I saw quite a few of Reo, at first looked like you were doing really well against him, then it looks like he caught on. Good showing though man!

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I saw quite a few of Reo, at first looked like you were doing really well against him, then it looks like he caught on. Good showing though man!
Thanks, yo.

Yea, about halfway through the fight with REO my brain fell out of my ass. I was playing really poorly. oh well

arydious

Noob
1:19 :24 is your first match with scoot there is a button check first

Ill edit this with the other times when i get to them

I cant find your other two on that one stream link your provided.

I did how ever find one of me at Dromstruction.
http://www.twitch.tv/finestko/b/298115569
I come in at 1:41:25 the guy in the green shirt. The names are wrong at first i am playing smoke and not baraka lol

Also i had just walked in and this was my first tournament had no idea about tv's etc, i ran around looking to borrow a controller even haha

I laughed every single time you just walked backwards and hit kitana with that b23 for free. Whoever played her just did not learn LOL