What's new

Strategy Smoke in the corner

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
Hey guys, I wanted to discuss some strategies for Smoke when cornering your opponent.

1) I like to overhead them with Back+BP then I hit the smoke bomb which is a two hit combo and leads to a juggle of course.
2) I like to FK (Down+FP) BP then do FK BP twice then hit the smoke bomb. However, here is my dilemma. What do you guys like to do when you have him up there? Its safe to land an air-throw or an uppercut, but that ends up taking the opponent out of the corner. Sometimes I like to do a jump kick followed by a a teleport punch, but it only lands one of the two punches.

Thanks guys

All of this stuff is doable outside of the corner. See the guide or combo thread for full combos.

Smoke isn't as particularly advantaged in the corner as other characters such as Liu Kang or Kung Lao. I can only think of two major advantages that he can exploit.

The first is the fact that you don't need to worry about enemies rolling backwards. That means you can forget your tech-chase options for a second and just focus on straight pressure.

The second is the fact that you can start a half-decent wakeup game after a throw. Usually throw leaves them too far away to do anything but smoke bomb or enhanced smoke towards. However, if you throw your opponent into the corner, you'll have time to do some meaties.

Smoke bomb OTG after air throw is easier to do if you air throw them into the corner too.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
Another advantage is that, in juggle combos, you can make bomb(and easier :en bomb) work after :r:bk.

An easy example Kombo:

:fk:d:fp:bp, neutral jump punch, :r:bk xx :en Bomb, :r:bk xx :en Bomb.

:r:bk in combos is good because i think it's the most damage you get out of 2 hits= big damage, little damage scaling.
Outside the corner the opponent is too far away for bombs after any :r:bk.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Another advantage is that, in juggle combos, you can make bomb(and easier :en bomb) work after :r:bk.
An easy example Kombo: :fk:d:fp:bp, neutral jump punch, :r:bk xx :en Bomb, :r:bk xx :en Bomb.
:r:bk is good because i think it's the most damage you get out of 2 hits= big damage, little damage scaling.

Outside the corner the opponent is too far away for bombs after any :r:bk.
Do you have any numbers from these combos?

Another thing is that Smoke can combo a d+1, smoke cloud after his teleport when the opponent is in the corner..

hardwire

Noob
here is my BnB corner combo for smoke

3d12 njp 32 32 32 21smokebomb 214

the trick to his timing is to watch on the first and second 32 for there body to bend coming down soon as you see that hit 32 on the third dont wait just input 32 again then soon as you input that input his 21 smoke bomb

thats mine it keeps em in the corner and if you dont get hyper about your button inputs its realtivly ez to do for ~40% damage (give or take after the nerf it used to do 44)

fleshmasher

i got the poison
Do you have any numbers from these combos?
Not sure about the damage of standalone :r:bk. 15%? definately more than :l:bp:fk, :l:fp:bk or :fk:bp which all do 11% as standalone. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The Kombo i mentioned

:fk:d:fp:bp, njp, :r:bk xx :en Bomb, :r:bk xx :en Bomb

does 42% at the moment i think. But it is just an easy example and can be modified.
With more :fk:d:fp:bp/:fk:bp after the njp, or whatever after the first bomb.

A weird thing though: After :fk:d:fp:bp, njp, :r:bk xx Bomb, i can't get the X-Ray to work it's always too slow.
Seems to be the only bomb after which X-Ray whiffs. While being the first bomb in the combo i mean.

Does it have to be an E smoke cloud? I was trying in training yesterday with the normal smoke cloud and it wouldn't connect after the f+4.

*No, wait, I was doing it on the ground. Just realised you were talking about it as part of the combo.

Well

If you get between the opponent and the wall, his air kickthrow will slam them right down into the corner. So you can set up for a couple of 3 d1 2s, or whatever you want, but make sure to jump diagonally into the corner so you get between them in the wall. Then the airthrow plops them right back down. Im not great, but I can get 30% damage or so out of that and slap em down into the corner. Though tbh, you could just go for 4 chained 3 2s which would be 31% and they'd still be in the corner.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
A weird thing though: After :fk:d:fp:bp, njp, :r:bk xx Bomb, i can't get the X-Ray to work it's always too slow.
Seems to be the only bomb after which X-Ray whiffs. While being the first bomb in the combo i mean.
Edit: I was wrong with that. It actually still allows you to do the :x it's just that the timing is very strict.

hardwire

Noob
Edit: I was wrong with that. It actually still allows you to do the :x it's just that the timing is very strict.
unless you found somthing i missed do not waste your xray on a long combo they screwed the pooch with smokes damage scaling

jump in punch with his 3 1 2 xray 43 any longer and you start to drop damage off drastically

fleshmasher

i got the poison
If it works it does 46 without JIP but the risk of whiffing the :x is just too great to be practical i know.
I just wanted to correct myself :)

hardwire

Noob
If it works it does 46 but the risk of whiffing the :x is just too great to be practical i know.
I just wanted to correct myself :)
its easy

watch on the launch just as there head peaks the health bar just b4 it goes limp for the fall is when you hit it

fleshmasher

i got the poison
I meant my own wall combo:

:fk:d:fp:bp, njp, :r:bk xx Bomb, :x

here i thought the :x wouldn't work but it does. It does 46 damage without JIP but is not practical because the :x easily whiffs.