What's new

Guide Smoke Guide Feedback

And also a quick note, I like to actually do tele punch after an airthrow or a sweep because it causes a lot of wakeup reversals to go the wrong way, and you tend to get a free tele punch or smoke bomb after, and if they do anything aside from wakeup standing and blocking without rolling you get free pressure right in there face. After an airthrow, smoke port then jumping in isn't an awful idea, but a lot of reversals will straight knock you out of the sky, like Raidens superman, Lue Kangs fly kick and bicycle kick, ect.

Kensou

Noob
Sup fellas after messing around with Smoke quite a bit, he's got REALLY high mixup potential on oki so on to the good stuff shall we.

-First off going to say with Smoke sometimes it seems you have to sacrifice damage for the oki. So ending in airthrow to smoke bomb for max damage wont always be the best idea but you gain the big damage you need to make comebacks.

-Using 3,d1,2 or 3,2 at the end of combos from a smoke bomb is standard of course but at the very end of it you can use b2 or dash b2 for forced knockdown. Granted they can tech roll or delay tech mind you of course, this is what I've found out it can net you.

-b2 ender to smoke teleport = land infront = high, low, throw, feeling spicy use EX Shake for the mash, cross up on tech roll
-DASH b2 ender smoke teleport = land behind = same as above
-DASH LATE b2 ender smoke teleport = seems ambiguous needs more testing but leads to all the above
-b2 ender invisibility either version leaves you safe
-After air throw, smoke bomb, go into invisibility again and you're safe with oki options

This is what I've been using so far with him on oki, I'm sure theres more but just an idea of what we can do for the mixup.

Thought's fellas?

rikana

Noob
Ah okay. Thanks for informing me. I was trying to figure out what it stands for but I understood it had something to do with wakeup pressure.

GTANJ

Noob
Great guide! I've found it a very good starting point. I was wondering if over time, you were going to flesh out great combos with Smoke and update the guide? I've been able to create some good combos myself, but nothing in the range of 40-50% without resorting to OTG Smoke Bombs that I'm not even sure are blockable or not blockable. I'm hoping that Smoke doesn't need to rely on OTG Smoke Bomb though, because it's very hard to do.

rikana

Noob
Smokebomb OTG isn't all that hard at all. Its just practice. I got the timing down after an hour of practice. All it is now is to use it in actual gameplay - which is where majority will screw up because of the pressure. I can land 50% consistently.

water

Noob
Great guide! I've found it a very good starting point. I was wondering if over time, you were going to flesh out great combos with Smoke and update the guide? I've been able to create some good combos myself, but nothing in the range of 40-50% without resorting to OTG Smoke Bombs that I'm not even sure are blockable or not blockable. I'm hoping that Smoke doesn't need to rely on OTG Smoke Bomb though, because it's very hard to do.
Smokebomb OTG isn't all that hard at all. Its just practice. I got the timing down after an hour of practice. All it is now is to use it in actual gameplay - which is where majority will screw up because of the pressure. I can land 50% consistently.
OTG SmokeBomb after AirThrow is a true combo and inescapable. Here is some advice to land it 100%.

--- B&B Combo: j.P~3d12, j.K~AirThrow, otg qcb2, ff, 3d12, j.K~AirThrow 49ish%?
To connect the jk~air throw to otg qcb2, delay the jk~air throw to connect on the way down After the apex of the jump! I read that doing it lower would help. I took that as "do it as fast as possible after the launch", but it is the opposite! You can also add a nj.P before the first jK~AirThrow for about 2-3% more damage.

B&B Combo w/Notes: j.P~3d12 (JumpForward and Wait), j.K~AirThrow (Low to the Ground, on the way down), otg qcb2 (Buffer in air qcb2 right before you land, you can even mash this if you want), ff, 3d12, j.K~AirThrow

You can also jump-in with K~AirThrow as the starter and continue from there. This is useful in situations where jump-in P will not land as easily or as an air-to-air attack.

It must be me but it seems impossible to land a smoke bomb after an airthrow and keep it in the same combo, I can land it after air throw but it starts a new combo. Is it just me ?

It must be me but it seems impossible to land a smoke bomb after an airthrow and keep it in the same combo, I can land it after air throw but it starts a new combo. Is it just me ?
Yea, the OTG smoke bomb will continue the combo. Make sure you're hitting the opponent as they are still bouncing on the ground after a kncokdown. If you manage to hit them as they are getting up, this means you have done a reset (which is great for damage purposes, but is not something you can consistently rely on because it's blockable).

lazybird123

Purple Belt in BJJ, White Belt in MK
I don't know if anyone mentioned this yet, but a good way to land the smoke bomb after the FK down+FP BK is to dash then throw the smoke bomb, I found it helps with the timing