What's new

Tech - Smoke SMOKE - Guaranteed 50/50 Vortex

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
@ImAura I'm still upset you quit but I pray you see this and know that for every character I said was low-key ridiculous, I've been right.

TamedLizard

Buff George
I can't watch the video, what setup is Smoke doing for the guarantee?

And can moves with invincibility or super armor like Bo's Zen, Punchwalk, or Cassie's nutpunch hold a flame to this?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I can't watch the video, what setup is Smoke doing for the guarantee?

And can moves with invincibility or super armor like Bo's Zen, Punchwalk, or Cassie's nutpunch hold a flame to this?
Jip into 50/50. J2 is super plus on hit, enough to delay for a bit and go for a 50/50. It's guaranteed in the corner only if you want to do it meterlessly

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
B3~Ex Smoke Bomb has a 13 frame gap. If your armoured reversal is 14 frames Smoke can block that. B1~Ex Smoke Bomb has an 18 frame gap. If your armoured reversal is 19 frames (like Slashers EX Toss) then Smoke can block that

Also, REO, what's the outro music to your videos? I quite like the sound of that song.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
It's been known but considering it only costs 2% it's totally worth it in the corner, Smoke players (myself included) have no excuse for never using this haha. Still A+ tier.

B3~Ex Smoke Bomb has a 13 frame gap. If your armoured reversal is 14 frames Smoke can block that. B1~Ex Smoke Bomb has an 18 frame gap. If your armoured reversal is 19 frames (like Slashers EX Toss) then Smoke can block that
I was going to check the frames on this today, so coincidental, thanks for sharing :)

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I was going to check the frames on this today, so coincidental, thanks for sharing :)
Funny coincidence lol. You can still check stuff like F13~EX Smoke Bomb or B21~Ex Smoke Bomb or any other string or normal etc as I got lazy and decided not to do them all. I was going to make a thread with all of the gap sizes etc but you can do it if you're keen to lol

I used STB Damashi's list of armoured specials since they're all there and in segments in order of startup (ascending). It's super useful, saved me a bunch of time.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
Funny coincidence lol. You can still check stuff like F13~EX Smoke Bomb or B21~Ex Smoke Bomb or any other string or normal etc as I got lazy and decided not to do them all. I was going to make a thread with all of the gap sizes etc but you can do it if you're keen to lol

I used STB Damashi's list of armoured specials since they're all there and in segments in order of startup (ascending). It's super useful, saved me a bunch of time.
Been looking for this list for 10 minutes.. get out of my mind.
There's definitely a few others I want to check out, I'll post them in General.

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Alright this vortex is pretty neat, but there's something that for some reason I very rarely see mentioned at all.

Why does no one know that you can jump out of Smoke's 50/50 into smoke bomb?

Granted it doesn't automatically give you a combo on every character. Kung Jin can do an instant NJP for a full combo, but Quan and Raiden cannot. Mileena also can't get a meterless roll out in time, the roll and smoke bomb trade. However, pretty much every character at least is able to jump over Smoke, land a blocked JIP and get their own corner game started. Seeing how Smoke doesn't have any armor and only has EX-fade or his bad pokes as an option for getting out of pressure, it's hardly an advantageous situation for him.

So while for most characters Smoke's corner 50/50 is safe, they do get their own corner positioning and 50/50 attempt. Of course Smoke could use a bar off of his 50/50 to catch attempts at jumping out and there's a legitimate mind game there, but I really want to put this information out there because very few seem to actually know about it.

Edit: Sub-Zero can do a crossover JI1 to get a full combo punish off of it.

jaylee777

Juh-Mill-E
Alright this vortex is pretty neat, but there's something that for some reason I very rarely see mentioned at all.

Granted it doesn't automatically give you a combo on every character. Kung Jin can do an instant NJP for a full combo, but Quan and Raiden cannot. Mileena also can't get a meterless roll out in time, the roll and smoke bomb trade. However, pretty much every character at least is able to jump over Smoke, land a blocked JIP and get their own corner game started. Seeing how Smoke doesn't have any armor and only has EX-fade or his bad pokes as an option for getting out of pressure, it's hardly an advantageous situation for him.

So while for most characters Smoke's corner 50/50 is safe, they do get their own corner positioning and 50/50 attempt. Of course Smoke could use a bar off of his 50/50 to catch attempts at jumping out and there's a legitimate mind game there, but I really want to put this information out there because very few seem to actually know about it.

Johnny can f3 smoke's 50/50 into smokebomb and get a full combo.

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free

I was literally talking about this in one of the tier list threads. Everyone can jump out, armor etc. Some characters can't punish when they jump out tho, while some characters can. I know Kitana can float njp the SB

In the case of Mileena, can't she NJP the sb?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
What's odd is watching Perfect Legend play as Smoke and not doing optimal combos or setups. I always feel like he knows something I dont...but I dont think he does. Haha.