What's new

Question Smoke blockstrings

PeeJaeys

Sabi
Pyrrhon_NYC, You play online? Maybe you can show me what you know about smoke, I could probably learn something. If you don't mind that is.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Pyrrhon_NYC, You play online? Maybe you can show me what you know about smoke, I could probably learn something. If you don't mind that is.
Sure thing, we can get some matches in. Just hit me up on PSN; I'll probably be on tomorrow around 8:30pm EST. I played someone in a TYM room earlier but I'm not sure if it's anyone that I've interacted with on here before...

As far as frame traps go, I actually didn't know that d+1 traps after a blocked Smoke bomb, so thanks for that. The only one that I ever knew of was that b+2 traps after a connected d+4. I haven't done much testing on Smoke's frame game though... definitely something we should all look into.

D+1 definitely traps. I've also had success with the following patterns, although I'm not sure they're actually traps.

After 3, D+1, 2 -----> dash, 2, 1 bomb

After any string ending in bomb -----> D+1

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I know that 3d12 has advantage on block, but I don't know how much. Can b+2 trap after blocked 3d12?

Also, it looks like after a connected 11 there's significant stagger animation. I've always meant to test this but keep forgetting :(

D+1 definitely traps. I've also had success with the following patterns, although I'm not sure they're actually traps.

After 3, D+1, 2 -----> dash, 2, 1 bomb

After any string ending in bomb -----> D+1
Is d+4(blocked) into Smokebomb a frametrap like Reptiles d+4 into Acid Hand?

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I would have done it myself a long time ago if I could capture at 60fps. At this rate, I might as well capture at 29.97 and just cut what I get in half.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Just found out that d+1 traps after a blocked 3d12

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

REYTHEGREAT

ive done this block string a few times and i like it because its tricky. 214, smoke teleport, grab or 214, smoke teleport, sweep. ive done also 214, smoke teleport, smoke teleport again in front and do 3d12

fleshmasher

i got the poison
ive done this block string a few times and i like it because its tricky. 214, smoke teleport, grab or 214, smoke teleport, sweep. ive done also 214, smoke teleport, smoke teleport again in front and do 3d12
I don't think that's really uninterruptible or that your are even at advantage after any smoke teleport(smoke towards)
I'm sure the opponent just has to wait for your smoke teleport(smoke towards) to end and hit you.
Can still work if the opponent attacks too early and in the wrong direction though.

Anyway i'm not 100% sure because i can't test this.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
yea, the non ex smoke drifts are really unsafe to use to approach or cross up (from neutral). I don't think that 214 has any significant advantage on block so trying a cross up smoke drift is very risky.

Also, You have some invincibility during regular drift, but I would get knocked out of it on the regular by normals whenever I used it in the ways mentioned above. In Tom Brady's guide, the way it's written makes it seem like it's a lot safer than it is. However, EX smoke drift is invincible from start to finish once you get past the startup animation.

An unrelated and interesting thing I found last night...

If you end my one bnb combo with 21>drift instead of JK teleport the regular drift WILL cross up if they don't tech roll and WON'T cross up if they do. This can give you huge advantage if you pay attention to what they do on the ground; the resulting positioning can be very unexpected to your opponent. Inputs:

(jump in punch) 3, d+1, 2 > NJP > b+2, 3, smokebomb > 3, d+1, 2 > 2, 1, drift towards

(the 4 won't land if you try and do the whole string at the end)

I'm starting to think that Smoke is stronger than we realize... after a knockdown you can force a game of trickery that's much more varied and relentless than anyone thinks

I suspect that the 1, 1, 2 and b+1, 4 strings have useful properties that we don't know about yet.