What's new

Guide - Slasher Slasher Has Frame Traps?

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
Hello all! Welcome to another one of my godlike threads (I know you all love these ;) ) Today I'll be going over Slasher's frame traps that I honestly don't see a lot of people talking about when it comes to the variation. He doesn't have a ton of them but they are vital to know about when picking up the character.

What Frame Traps?
Some of you might be wondering "What frame traps?" because let's be honest, few people use the strings I'm referring to. So, what plus frames does this character have and why should you care? let's go over that shall we?

• F3 +7 On block. Commonly known as "The Big Boot" very important for Slasher on knockdown.
  • 12 +2 on block. A string that I have seen literally never used by Slasher players and for no reason really.
  • 23 +2 on block. Not exactly a useful string but it's plus so we kind of have to include it, avoid this one.
So! Those are your plus frames, why should you care? Well for one, everyone loves being plus, if you don't that your prerogative. Secondly, you have, one of the best mids in the game. B1 is a 9f mid with a giant disjointed hitbox. If you play this variation, you have come to love this button with a burning passion. However, it's even better because in case you didn't guess, being +2 makes that a 7f mid. Nothing short of a D1 that is timed frame perfect will beat this (excluding armor of course) so don't count on that being beat really. So after you have the opponent respecting your 7f mid, you can begin throwing in mixups, grabs, etc. into the mix, as a frame trap tends to do to people.

Let's Talk About F3
So F3 is something that see fewer Slasher players use, only Unstoppable/Relentless and honestly, I have no clue why. Now granted there are those Slasher players out there that see why this is vital to our oki game but I figured I'd enlighten those of you who haven't been using this on knockdown as Slasher. So basically on every knockdown you have the choice to go for your overhead and full combo your opponent, or to go for meaty F3. What does meaty F3 do for you? Well one, it's an overhead so this is a 50/50, but if they guess overhead and you do F3, you're left at a whopping +7! This means you have a 2f mid and basically your opponent can't press any buttons or they are screwed. Using this makes your pressure actually work as you can F3 into basically whatever you want from bating armor to applying more pressure with mixups and such. This button also has like 0 recovery so your opponent won't be whiff punishing this any time soon so no need to worry about delayed wakeups. Just use this button and all your troubles will be mostly taken care of.

Now a lot of this is probably obvious to a lot of you but I figured I'd just let people know what they're potentially missing out on. I use these tools constantly in my gameplan with Slasher and they have treated me fairly well and I'm sure they will do the same for you! Cheers and enjoy the hack n slash!

Raiderhorn

White Lotus
I've abuse the absolute hell out of f3 in the corner. I've honestly hit some people 5 times in a row with it before they block it correctly but then get punished right after cause I'm so plus aha

CrazyFingers

My cousin that doesn't understand frame data somehow figured out that f3 jails into b1 just by playing, every Jason should be doin this
They all really should be. They should also be using 12. Like any other character with a string like that uses it but for some reason my Slasher brethren are letting this one slip by.

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
@ArmedCalf do you play Slasher?
Yeah I played him a ton, not so much these days because his corner game was what really interested me. I find F3 to be a bit more useful in the other two variations, 32 is such a weird string to throw out, but I think 12 is super super underrated. It was a stagger I needed to be doing more. Another thing too is at certain ranges, b12 staggers are very very effective - even though it's -9.

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Good stuff OP, another thing that people fail to realize about slasher's 12 is that it's an insane footsie tool as well. That second hit lunges almost half screen with his disjointed machete and recovers insanely fast too. You can kind of bluff it by whiffing s1 in neutral once you have them respecting it. Another thing similar to what @omooba said is that when you end with 112 or bf2 you can time an f3 so meaty that it's insanely plus AND jason recovers in time to block many armored wakeups. I believe mileena's 16 frame EX ball roll is the fastest move you can OS this way.

CrazyFingers

Yeah I played him a ton, not so much these days because his corner game was what really interested me. I find F3 to be a bit more useful in the other two variations, 32 is such a weird string to throw out, but I think 12 is super super underrated. It was a stagger I needed to be doing more. Another thing too is at certain ranges, b12 staggers are very very effective - even though it's -9.
Yea the fact that a -11 normal and a -9 string can stagger might surprise people but it works xD. 122 as a stagger is really good too as you mentioned (122 is only -2 on block and 12 is +2 and 1 is also +2, it's a highly underrated and underused string) this kind of stuff shows that Slasher has always been more than corner the opponent then 50/50 them to death.

El_Rubio

Noob
I been using xxBF2 and spending all my meter there, thanks in advance! I will try this.

What about B3D1 or B3U1 (or something around that) are those useful? I been abusing of B3GRAB.

CrazyFingers

I been using xxBF2 and spending all my meter there, thanks in advance! I will try this.

What about B3D1 or B3U1 (or something around that) are those useful? I been abusing of B3GRAB.
Slasher doesn't have the B3Grab string but he does have B3D1/B3U1 and honestly I don't really like using those on Slasher simply because B1 does everything that string does for Relentless/Unstoppable.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Yeah slasher has a frame trap... down 1 down 1... obviously. It's up there with roll into ex roll

CrazyFingers

Female characters, mostly Mileena. I feel like she in particular goes under a lot of Jason's normals in all of his variations. I really hate fighting her.
Jason actually does decently well against her, particularly Slasher, SaltFace picks Slasher for that matchup i believe.

12 +2 on block. A string that I have seen literally never used by Slasher players and for no reason really.
I have used this string day one as both a plus tool, a stagger tool with 122, and more importantly, IMO, as a footsies tool because his 12 range, like someone commented above, is very good. I am stunned myself to see that a lot of Jason's I see do not use this very useful tool.

I have a question Crazy. Being that Jason's F42 OH is -10, do you think it's worth it to stagger F4 first in case they block? It's -8 and it's not like Jason can follow up with another very fast, due to its recovery, but it's still something when you consider a player's expectations.

By the way, thank you for posting this because although I use these tools already, it's somewhat refreshing.

CrazyFingers

I have used this string day one as both a plus tool, a stagger tool with 122, and more importantly, IMO, as a footsies tool because his 12 range, like someone commented above, is very good. I am stunned myself to see that a lot of Jason's I see do not use this very useful tool.

I have a question Crazy. Being that Jason's F42 OH is -10, do you think it's worth it to stagger F4 first in case they block? It's -8 and it's not like Jason can follow up with another very fast, due to its recovery, but it's still something when you consider a player's expectations.

By the way, thank you for posting this because although I use these tools already, it's somewhat refreshing.
You could stagger F42 just to try and scout for the low but I honestly prefer to condition them to block overhead with F2/F3 before I start with the F4