What's new

General/Other - Slasher Slasher Changes Suggestions

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I think Slasher is just a few tweaks away from becoming a really good character, heres what I think needs to be changed:

• b12 whiff on block issue. b1 has great range, but the second hit of b12 is shorter ranged on block, meaning if the opponent blocks b12, the 2 can whiff and you can be punished, essentially shortening the range of b1. The second hit should be the same range as b1.
  • b12 to be -1 on block. The reason for this is to improve his pressure. Currently b1, b12 and b122 are all -9. Making b12 -1 will make his pressure very good from that maximum b12 range. It would be similar to milleenas b12 except it hasn't got as good a range, and b1 would still be -9 and punishable.
  • b3u1 to launch slightly higher to make it easier and more consistent to combo off.
  • 12u1 to launch slightly higher to make it easier and more consistent to combo off.
  • bf2 and ex bf2 to recapture opponent on first hit.
  • ex db2 to be +7 on block. This again will help his pressure. Slasher gets low safe damage from his mix ups and all his +2 pressure comes from highs. Having an ex mid hitting plus projectile will help his pressure. Keep in mind that d1 has low range, and wouldn't even be guaranteed. He also isn't meter intensive so this would give him something to spend meter on.
Let me know what you think Slasher needs, if anything at all. :)

Last edited:

Santa_Destroyer

Blood n' cigs' PSN: Santa_Destroyer
I think Slasher is just a few tweaks away from becoming a really good character, heres what I think needs to be changed:

• b12 whiff on block issue. b1 has great range, but the second hit of b12 is shorter ranged on block, meaning if the opponent blocks b12, the 2 can whiff and you can be punished, essentially shortening the range of b1. The second hit should be the same range as b1.
  • b12 to be -1 on block. The reason for this is to improve his pressure. Currently b1, b12 and b122 are all -9. Making b12 -1 will make his pressure very good from that maximum b12 range. It would be similar to milleenas b12 except it hasn't got as good a range, and b1 would still be -9 and punishable.
  • b3u1 to launch slightly higher to make it easier and more consistent to combo off.
  • 12u1 to launch slightly higher to make it easier and more consistent to combo off.
  • bf2 and ex bf2 to recapture opponent on first hit.
  • ex db2 to be +7 on block. This again will help his pressure. Slasher gets low safe damage from his mix ups and all his +2 pressure comes from highs. Having an ex mid hitting plus projectile will help his pressure. Keep in mind that d1 has low range, and wouldn't even be guaranteed. He also isn't meter intensive so this would give him something to spend meter on.
Let me know what you think Slasher needs, if anything at all. :)
I think he's already solid enough.
As a Jason co main I obviously like my char to be better but I feel like this would be more like icing on the cake to me, rather than changes he "really needs".

His safe-ish 50/50's in the corner with 38-50% dmg no meter are already insane.
Making him even better in the neutral could be fatal.

I really like the ex machete toss to be +7 for the free b1 check up close though.

x-azeez

Bullet with your name on it
The B12 being -1 is a good change for Slasher.

His Machete throw recovery should be less by 5 to 7 frames.

His Choke DF1 & EX DF1 should have a more downward hitbox to hit more consistently

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
I think Slasher is completely fine right now. His corner damage is absolutely mad and the only thing I'd change is the B12 whiffing.

Also I swear do NOT make Slasher's B12 like Mileena's. We DON'T need more of that.

the.hamburglar

Alien keeps me up at night
Slasher is broken. He had a low overhead and its hard to block that when you're playing analong. Its more than a 50/50 #Too much dirt
:DOGE
In all seriousness, maybe just speed up his general moves because hes already slow

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
The B12 being -1 is a good change for Slasher.

His Machete throw recovery should be less by 5 to 7 frames.

His Choke DF1 & EX DF1 should have a more downward hitbox to hit more consistently
These are the right tweaks

colby4898

Care to expand?

I think Slasher is completely fine right now. His corner damage is absolutely mad and the only thing I'd change is the B12 whiffing.

Also I swear do NOT make Slasher's B12 like Mileena's. We DON'T need more of that.
I don't think it would be as good as millenas. His b1 would still be -9 and punishable unlike milleenas b1. It doesn't have as good a rage as Milleenas moves you forward with both hits, Jason stands still. Jason also doesn't have as good zoning or movement as milleena. Maybe it doesn't neccessarily have to be -1, but I think if it is less minus, maybe like -3 it would still be big and fair improvement.

DDutchguy

Care to expand?

I don't think it would be as good as millenas. His b1 would still be -9 and punishable unlike milleenas b1. It doesn't have as good a rage as Milleenas moves you forward with both hits, Jason stands still. Jason also doesn't have as good zoning or movement as milleena. Maybe it doesn't neccessarily have to be -1, but I think if it is less minus, maybe like -3 it would still be big and fair improvement.
Slasher is more of a 50/50 character than a pressure character really. B12 becoming safe is an alright change, but with B122 being staggerable overall makes it so B12 will rarely get punished in general.

colby4898

Slasher is more of a 50/50 character than a pressure character really. B12 becoming safe is an alright change, but with B122 being staggerable overall makes it so B12 will rarely get punished in general.
True, but from his 50/50's mid screen he gets very little damage compared to say kano or sonya, who gets high damage from their safe 50/50's.
With b1, b122 and b122 all being -9 it makes it much easier to be punished, or if not punished it certainly ends the pressure and makes it the opponents turn. Making b12 between -1 and -3 I think is very fair.

DDutchguy

True, but from his 50/50's mid screen he gets very little damage compared to say kano or sonya, who gets high damage from their safe 50/50's.
With b1, b122 and b122 all being -9 it makes it much easier to be punished, or if not punished it certainly ends the pressure and makes it the opponents turn. Making b12 between -1 and -3 I think is very fair.
Only the overhead option gives little damage. I'm not sure whether, correct me if I'm wrong, 36% no meter off of F4 is low damage. Sure it's unsafe, but that's why you have the safe F4~choke option that still gives you nearly 20%. F2 gives very little midscreen, I'll agree on that.

The B12 change would be fine I suppose, although the D1 shenanigans afterwards would be extremely annoying.

colby4898

Only the overhead option gives little damage. I'm not sure whether, correct me if I'm wrong, 36% no meter off of F4 is low damage. Sure it's unsafe, but that's why you have the safe F4~choke option that still gives you nearly 20%. F2 gives very little midscreen, I'll agree on that.

The B12 change would be fine I suppose, although the D1 shenanigans afterwards would be extremely annoying.
Yeah 36% of f42 is good damage, but it is unsafe. A lot of characters in the game can get around that from their safe 50/50's. Also with f2 choke whiffing from most ranges you have to go into shoulder, which is even less damage and shoulder has huge start up. I'm not saying he is bad by any means, but there are characters that can do what he does much better, and just by improving his staggers a little it could really help him join the higher tiers.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
If you changed B3U1 in Slasher it would affect the other two variations so I don't know about changing that.
Why would you change BF2 and exBF2 in juggles? Just use choke or BF3 as enders. Pushing the opponent to the corner is the point of Slasher anyway.
DB2ex being +7 is probably unnecessary too. You have a 9 frame mid in B3 you can follow up your blockstrings with where D1 misses. He isn't meant to be a pressure monster, he excels in the corner.
B12 being -1 is unnecessary. If you want it to be safe block confirm into BF3 instead. Fixing whiffing issues is fine but unnecessary buffs aren't :p

colby4898

If you changed B3U1 in Slasher it would affect the other two variations so I don't know about changing that.
Why would you change BF2 and exBF2 in juggles? Just use choke or BF3 as enders. Pushing the opponent to the corner is the point of Slasher anyway.
DB2ex being +7 is probably unnecessary too. You have a 9 frame mid in B3 you can follow up your blockstrings with where D1 misses. He isn't meant to be a pressure monster, he excels in the corner.
B12 being -1 is unnecessary. If you want it to be safe block confirm into BF3 instead. Fixing whiffing issues is fine but unnecessary buffs aren't :p
Changing bf2 makes it a better armour move. Choke is a high with short range whereas bf2 is a mid with better range. If an opponent jumps when you armour the first hit will hit them and they'll out the juggle and you'll be whiff punished. A small change making it recapture seems perfectly fair to me and makes sense.
db2 ex I agree isn't necessary, that's more of a luxury buff. :p
I don't see b12 being -1 as necessary per say, but at the moment his mid screen presence isn't very scary at all. His +2 strings start with a high, his 0 string is a high. His best mids are b3 and b1, both quite minus. Making b12 -1 to -3 on block I think is a perfectly fair change in order to bump him up that a little but.
I think he's decent as he is, but struggles compared to those top tier characters.

Youphemism

Changing bf2 makes it a better armour move. Choke is a high with short range whereas bf2 is a mid with better range. If an opponent jumps when you armour the first hit will hit them and they'll out the juggle and you'll be whiff punished. A small change making it recapture seems perfectly fair to me and makes sense.
I don't see b12 being -1 as necessary per say, but at the moment his mid screen presence isn't very scary at all. His +2 strings start with a high, his 0 string is a high. His best mids are b3 and b1, both quite minus. Making b12 -1 to -3 on block I think is a perfectly fair change in order to bump him up that a little but.
I think he's decent as he is, but struggles compared to those top tier characters.
But it restanding has nothing to do with how good its armour is. There's no need to get it to restand when choke is there to catch people in the air. Just because you say it makes sense doesn't necessarily mean it does, the restand part is only there in the ex version because of the animation that happens on the last hit(s).
You're not getting it, he's not supposed to have great pressure. He's someone that mixes you up and pushes you to the corner where he can go ham on you.
And for the record he most certainly does have a midscreen presence. He has two 9 frame mids that can leave him safe on block and one doesn't have a hurtbox but extends about an average D4 distance. Who cares if his +2 strings start with highs? Cassie's 332 starts high AND has a gap and everyone not only blocks it but noone interrupts the gap either. It's about conditioning. Make them respect B3 and B1 as options and you can use 12 and 23 all you want. You're also probably not going to use 32 in Slasher anyway. B3 and B1 aren't as minus as you're making them out to be, B3 can lead to D1 which is -1 on block and B1 can lead to BF3 on block which is -6 with pushback. There's no reason B12 should be -1, you have a safe option to cancel it into.

colby4898

But it restanding has nothing to do with how good its armour is. There's no need to get it to restand when choke is there to catch people in the air. Just because you say it makes sense doesn't necessarily mean it does, the restand part is only there in the ex version because of the animation that happens on the last hit(s).
You're not getting it, he's not supposed to have great pressure. He's someone that mixes you up and pushes you to the corner where he can go ham on you.
And for the record he most certainly does have a midscreen presence. He has two 9 frame mids that can leave him safe on block and one doesn't have a hurtbox but extends about an average D4 distance. Who cares if his +2 strings start with highs? Cassie's 332 starts high AND has a gap and everyone not only blocks it but noone interrupts the gap either. It's about conditioning. Make them respect B3 and B1 as options and you can use 12 and 23 all you want. You're also probably not going to use 32 in Slasher anyway. B3 and B1 aren't as minus as you're making them out to be, B3 can lead to D1 which is -1 on block and B1 can lead to BF3 on block which is -6 with pushback. There's no reason B12 should be -1, you have a safe option to cancel it into.
I didn't mean it makes the armour better i meant it makes it more useful because there wouldn't be a risk of them falling out the animation. Choke has small range and hits high which is why it would be nice to have another armour option.
I know he not supposed to have great pressure, but my suggestion is to make it so he does have good pressure... My point is with b1, b12 and b122 is that, even if cancelled into choke, it ends pressure. It would be useful if from his best string, he could get some pressure from it. I didn't say his +2 strings coming from a high made them bad strings.
There is no reason a lot of things should be in this game. There is no reason Takeda should have hard to blockables for example, I don't think asking Slasher to have a better b12 is by any means unreasonable given the amount of unfair stuff in this game.
Also once you get the in the corner it's not like he has an amazing corner game. He can 50/50 you and hope to get high damage if you guess right. To me that sounds like most the cast. It's not like he has an armour spell or an ice clone to trap you. Or if you guess wrong your plus, he has a good corner game from his high meterless damage, but it's nothing that set's him apart from the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

Youphemism

I didn't mean it makes the armour better i meant it makes it more useful because there wouldn't be a risk of them falling out the animation. Choke has small range and hits high which is why it would be nice to have another armour option.
I know he not supposed to have great pressure, but my suggestion is to make it so he does have good pressure... My point is with b1, b12 and b122 is that, even if cancelled into choke, it ends pressure. It would be useful if from his best string, he could get some pressure from it. I didn't say his +2 strings coming from a high made them bad strings.
There is no reason a lot of things should be in this game. There is no reason Takeda should have hard to blockables for example, I don't think asking Slasher to have a better b12 is by any means unreasonable given the amount of unfair stuff in this game.
Also once you get the in the corner it's not like he has an amazing corner game. He can 50/50 you and hope to get high damage if you guess right. To me that sounds like most the cast. It's not like he has an armour spell or an ice clone to trap you. Or if you guess wrong your plus, he has a good corner game from his high meterless damage, but it's nothing that set's him apart from the rest of the cast.
But there's still no reason to be using it as an ender/anti-air in the first place so I don't know why you want it to restand on the first hit. All hits of choke will catch them out of the air, which is the problem you have with BF2ex, so it hitting high is irrelevant. You also have BF3ex to hit them out of the air too.
If you know he's not supposed to be a pressure character then why are you suggesting giving him better pressure? He doesn't need it and it's not what he's designed to do.
So what if it ends pressure? You want him to have infinite pressure or something? B12 being -1 also ends the pressure so I don't really get your point there. If you want a safe option that gives you good neutral followups use B12~BF3, simple. You're -6 with pushback which may as well be the same as -1 up close. B12 doesn't even have good enough recovery to be used for pressure even at -1 so why make it -1?
Takeda having hard to blockables is part of his design, Slasher getting pressure is not part of his design. That example isn't the same thing. You're asking to buff a part of his design that really won't change his gameplan or make him any better. Even if it was -1 you're STILL better cancelling into a safe special for meter building and spacing.
You're kidding right? He gets safe launching 50/50s that lead to full combo in the corner, not everyone has that. His corner game is pretty strong, if it wasn't then why would he be designed to do that? He gets almost 50% METERLESS in the corner.

colby4898

But there's still no reason to be using it as an ender/anti-air in the first place so I don't know why you want it to restand on the first hit. All hits of choke will catch them out of the air, which is the problem you have with BF2ex, so it hitting high is irrelevant. You also have BF3ex to hit them out of the air too.
If you know he's not supposed to be a pressure character then why are you suggesting giving him better pressure? He doesn't need it and it's not what he's designed to do.
So what if it ends pressure? You want him to have infinite pressure or something? B12 being -1 also ends the pressure so I don't really get your point there. If you want a safe option that gives you good neutral followups use B12~BF3, simple. You're -6 with pushback which may as well be the same as -1 up close. B12 doesn't even have good enough recovery to be used for pressure even at -1 so why make it -1?
Takeda having hard to blockables is part of his design, Slasher getting pressure is not part of his design. That example isn't the same thing. You're asking to buff a part of his design that really won't change his gameplan or make him any better. Even if it was -1 you're STILL better cancelling into a safe special for meter building and spacing.
You're kidding right? He gets safe launching 50/50s that lead to full combo in the corner, not everyone has that. His corner game is pretty strong, if it wasn't then why would he be designed to do that? He gets almost 50% METERLESS in the corner.
We're just gonna have to disagree here lol I think Slasher is good but needs tweaks for him to compete with top tiers whether you agree or not. I guess I don't see a problem in changing a characters in a patch play style but you do.

Also these characters have safe 50/50 leading to corner combos: Alien, Jason, Kung Lao, Sonya, Sub (with clone), Takeda, Cassie, Jaqui, Kung Jin, Kano, Johnny, Erron, Ermac (spectral?), Reptile, F/T, D'vorah, Quan, Triborg.

Jason having b12 at -1 wouldn't stop pressure from max range, he would then essentially have a 10 frame b3/b1 or a 7 frame poke. Same as how when milleena does her b12 pressure won't necessarily end. But again, let's just agree to disagree cos we're just gonna go in circles lol :p

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
Slasher needs no buffs, only fixes.

All hits of b122 have a chance to whiff on block or on hit depending on your distance, and that really needs to go.
EX bf2 definitely does need to recapture in the air as it's stupid for such a slow armored move to be punishable on hit in those cases.
Regular bf2 also has an issue of landing the first hit, whiffing the second one, and then the opponent being able block and punish the third and obviously that needs fixing too.

B12 is already a good and mostly safe spacing tool at -9 and making it safer would not be balanced. The EX machete toss buff is also completely unnecessary, I'm happy it's even safe at all.

As a slasher co-main if I could have one unneeded luxury buff I'd make his regular psycho slash -6 on block. All that chip and meterbuild would be awesome if it were safe.

Youphemism

We're just gonna have to disagree here lol I think Slasher is good but needs tweaks for him to compete with top tiers whether you agree or not. I guess I don't see a problem in changing a characters in a patch play style but you do.

Also these characters have safe 50/50 leading to corner combos: Alien, Jason, Kung Lao, Sonya, Sub (with clone), Takeda, Cassie, Jaqui, Kung Jin, Kano, Johnny, Erron, Ermac (spectral?), Reptile, F/T, D'vorah, Quan, Triborg.

Jason having b12 at -1 wouldn't stop pressure from max range, he would then essentially have a 10 frame b3/b1 or a 7 frame poke. Same as how when milleena does her b12 pressure won't necessarily end. But again, let's just agree to disagree cos we're just gonna go in circles lol :p
It's fine to have an opinion on him and think he needs buffs if you want but some of the buffs you're suggesting just don't make sense is all. They're not going to change the entire design of the character from neutral and corner push to pressure. Making B12 -1 wouldn't even make him a pressure character but it wouldn't make his problems any better. If anything he probably needs a slightly faster projectile, his neutral game is fine. He has two safe 9 frame mids which is more than most have.

I said safe LAUNCHING 50/50s. A lot of those characters don't have that and some of their 50/50 options aren't safe and/or have a gap. But that's not the point, point is Slasher has a strong corner game which is why he was designed the way he was.

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
Buffing the b12 string to -1 is not a good suggestion.

As of right now this is a great character; I have been enjoying playing him the past few days and I am a noob with him.

I struggle against zoning, mainly shinnok, hqt a little.

My suggestion to make this character "better", I'd like his ex machete toss to hard knockdown on hit.

Everything else at the moment seems really good and has its place in the game.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
How did I miss this thread? I'm huge on Slasher...I even wrote the damn guide how did I let this thread slip by me?