What's new

SkullGirls official discussion thread.

DaRabidDuckie

Shimapan Destroyer
I'm actually finding the Parasoul Napalm Pillar assist to be the strongest so far. That thing is so good.

I can't find a single good assist for Ms. Fortune, I guess she should be played on point?
Yeah it's really good. But most players who use it abuse it to a fault, making it easy to bait and punish.

As for Ms Fortune, try st.MK as an assist. As a general rule of thumb, when a character seems to have specials that don't make good assists, you're probably overlooking a really good normal. Valentine's cr.MP is a perfect example of this. AA, long hitstun, and occasionally crosses up? Yes, please!

Is Cerebella even a viable character by herself? It seems to me that everything I do is very easily punishable on block, while cerebella does not have the range/proper amount of forward advance in her normals to consistently punish enemies. I get blown up just for doing a c.MP ffs.... Her dash sucks; all of her options out of it are very risky besides just doing dash cancels for meter at fullscreen with a life lead. The more I play this character the more I realize how bad she is; she can't handle zoning well and gets beat up by rushdown/tag attacks.

Does Cerebella suffer from these shortcomings as much as I make it out to seem? Or am I just not playing her well? It feels like I can't even do anything with her without taking huge risks. It's like Sheeva and Scorpion had a baby to make this character lol

DaRabidDuckie

Shimapan Destroyer
Is Cerebella even a viable character by herself?
Yes. Solobella is insanely dangerous.

Or am I just not playing her well?
I'm gonna go with this, at least for the moment.

Lock 'n Load has armor, as does her command run. Those are great options from Midscreen. Her glide (hold j.HP) is also a good tool for getting in. Once you're in, you have to make your opponent fear command grabs. They have to know that if you're even a little close, then they risk getting grabbed.

NerdJosh did decently with her at PowerUp, and though he didn't win the tourney I think he had some really good matches. He handled his match against NCV (a player I respect a lot) really well, especially since Painwheel is probably Cerebella's worst matchup (the community favors Cerebella for Peacock, probably a 6-4, though). Here's a video that may give you some pointers:

One point I'd like to bring up though, is that he didn't use her air grab AT ALL. He went for super chances whenever he could, probably because he hadn't quite gotten the spacing yet on her grabs. This was a day 3/4 tournament, after all...

(Sadly, I only got top 16 there :( )

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Yeah it's really good. But most players who use it abuse it to a fault, making it easy to bait and punish.

As for Ms Fortune, try st.MK as an assist. As a general rule of thumb, when a character seems to have specials that don't make good assists, you're probably overlooking a really good normal. Valentine's cr.MP is a perfect example of this. AA, long hitstun, and occasionally crosses up? Yes, please!
I've actually been using cr.HK as her assist right now so that when I'm playing Painwheel I can do whatever normal xx fly + assist. Generally gets people to block high, and you can follow up by restanding with j.HK.

st.MK is long I guess but would you use it to lock people down or what? I've been using Painwheel's cr.MP like that, but it stays active for a lot longer.

The problem isn't so much getting in/abusing her armor; I can do these things well. My problem lies in opening up somebody for a combo safely, and also escaping pressure.

Guess I'm just not making people fear the command grabs well enough then, since offense with solobella should be very frightening, especially near the corner where she can combo her AA grab. And I suppose the easy answer to dealing with rushdown is getting better at pushblocking at the right times. IDK, I'm just tired of getting bodied by the entire cast except other Cerebellas who I beat lol. Thanks for the tips DaRabidDuckie

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
So my tag team starts with peacock...killer zoning...so my secondary characters are cerebellum and double. With cerebellum I use standing mp as my assist for combos and with double I use her fdf lk. Double seems to be the better fit right now but it's fun doing set ups with tag standing mp.

If standing mp hits I link a huge bomb super with peacock, get the throw, do super throw, then finish with agony. I'll upload video tonight.

DaRabidDuckie

Shimapan Destroyer
So my tag team starts with peacock...killer zoning...so my secondary characters are cerebellum and double. With cerebellum I use standing mp as my assist for combos and with double I use her fdf lk. Double seems to be the better fit right now but it's fun doing set ups with tag standing mp.

If standing mp hits I link a huge bomb super with peacock, get the throw, do super throw, then finish with agony. I'll upload video tonight.
Oh that just sounds NASTY... :confused:

Link me that video when you get it up and I'll see about getting it on the front page.

Edgar Inc

B3 everything
Im really struggling with this game. Im having such a hard time learning it. I just dont seem to understand any part of whether its how to pressure, getting out of pressure, whats safe, whats not,etc. I like the game alot, but just dont seem to understand the way it works

DaRabidDuckie

Shimapan Destroyer
Oh my god, did a MLP pic kill this thread?

*performs Valentine's level 5 on it*

I uploaded this video the other day. May prove useful to some Valentine players:

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Im really struggling with this game. Im having such a hard time learning it. I just dont seem to understand any part of whether its how to pressure, getting out of pressure, whats safe, whats not,etc. I like the game alot, but just dont seem to understand the way it works
I'm the exact same way, man.
Anyway we could get some games in FrothyOmen to see if you could help?

Pizza

Thrill Kill
I love this game, it has a great gameplay and a nice design. My favourites are Cerebella and Valentine, they make a great combination, I don't always win but with them at least I give a good fight!

-Deadman-

Getting better with age
With all this new "Squigly, BigBand, and more" talk, I'm going to give SG another whirl at least to 100% again. I'm curious on one thing though. What turns me off to this game is how it very quickly turns into Mahvel, with the 3v3 nonsense.
Is it honestly possible to do well with a single character? Last I played I ran solo Cerebella (don't hate) and spent the entire fight getting kited around the screen, unable to catch them. Which is pretty sad, considering the guy I was fighting was running Parasoul/Cerebella.
You would think I couldn't be kited in a mirror match :(

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
With all this new "Squigly, BigBand, and more" talk, I'm going to give SG another whirl at least to 100% again. I'm curious on one thing though. What turns me off to this game is how it very quickly turns into Mahvel, with the 3v3 nonsense.
Is it honestly possible to do well with a single character? Last I played I ran solo Cerebella (don't hate) and spent the entire fight getting kited around the screen, unable to catch them. Which is pretty sad, considering the guy I was fighting was running Parasoul/Cerebella.
You would think I couldn't be kited in a mirror match :(

It's very possible to do well with a Solo team, however you'd better have a hell ton of maneuverability or ways to get in. With no assist, people will take advantage of that. Did you use her armored moves a lot?

It's always a good idea to learn a second character with a good assist, just for that assist if you must. That way, if you ever need her in a certain match up you can stand a better chance. I run a Solo valentine and the only reason I can do anything is because of her double jump and air dash.

So I basically hadn't played this game for about a year or more until I bought a new computer and downloaded the latest steam version.
It's annoying that stuff is so different than it used to be but wow the game is even better than I remembered. Everyone should be playing this game
The character archetypes are so fucking awesome , looks incredible on pc, lobbies and amazing netcode, music, the gake has everything besides having more than 9 characters but the team compositions are endless due to open ended construction. Ugh I love it

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Eagerly anticipating the arrival of the PSN Squigly, and all the improvements that come with it.
New stages as well.
Send a message for Skullgirls PSN matches if interested, to playakid700.
Valentine Squigly team comp, most likely.
Will the PSN version have the lobbies that Jailhouse has mentioned?

Squiggly is such a crazy and awesome design. Elements of baiken with the suck in move, axel with the long range air move, oro with the ball supers, necro with the divekick, command grabs etc. More characters plz