What's new

SkullGirls official discussion thread.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Sorry for the bump but I have recently become interested in maybe trying this game out. How does it play? If you could liken it to another fighter what would it be? How is the learning curve? I mainly play MK games with a little SF on the side but I have never played things like Guilty Gear and Blazblu (which this game sort of reminds me of)

Sorry for all the questions, just really curious about this game lol

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Sorry for the bump but I have recently become interested in maybe trying this game out. How does it play? If you could liken it to another fighter what would it be? How is the learning curve? I mainly play MK games with a little SF on the side but I have never played things like Guilty Gear and Blazblu (which this game sort of reminds me of)

Sorry for all the questions, just really curious about this game lol
I never got really big into the game, only played it a few weeks before I really stopped playing a lot of fighting games, so my experience is limited. But it's pretty damn unique in how it plays, at least in a few ways. I've never played Blazblu, but in my experience if I were to compare how SG plays compared to another game it would probably be MvC. Like I said it's pretty unique, but it shares a fair amount in terms of playstyle with MvC. Like with any fighting game you're going to have to spend a lot of time with the game learning exactly what all the fighters and in this case combination of fighters are capable of. You said you play mostly MK and a little bit of SF, well this game isn't really a whole lot like either of them, MK especially feels completely different in almost every way, SF is a bit more relatable but still a lot different so if you pick it up it's going to be a new experience for you in terms of gameplay probably.

Also I haven't played every fighting game out there so it's possible there's one or two that play a lot more similarly to SG than what I've experienced.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I never got really big into the game, only played it a few weeks before I really stopped playing a lot of fighting games, so my experience is limited. But it's pretty damn unique in how it plays, at least in a few ways. I've never played Blazblu, but in my experience if I were to compare how SG plays compared to another game it would probably be MvC. Like I said it's pretty unique, but it shares a fair amount in terms of playstyle with MvC. Like with any fighting game you're going to have to spend a lot of time with the game learning exactly what all the fighters and in this case combination of fighters are capable of. You said you play mostly MK and a little bit of SF, well this game isn't really a whole lot like either of them, MK especially feels completely different in almost every way, SF is a bit more relatable but still a lot different so if you pick it up it's going to be a new experience for you in terms of gameplay probably.

Also I haven't played every fighting game out there so it's possible there's one or two that play a lot more similarly to SG than what I've experienced.
Awesome advice, thank you! I actually have never played a MVC game either so it seems like SG will be an all new experience for me if I decide to pick it up. Do you know anything about the "netcode" by any chance? I don't get to travel and play at a local scene often (if ever) so the online experience (while not a make it or break it deal) is something kind of important since its the only way I can play against other people who actually play fighting games (none of my friends play fighters :/)

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Premium Supporter
Awesome advice, thank you! I actually have never played a MVC game either so it seems like SG will be an all new experience for me if I decide to pick it up. Do you know anything about the "netcode" by any chance? I don't get to travel and play at a local scene often (if ever) so the online experience (while not a make it or break it deal) is something kind of important since its the only way I can play against other people who actually play fighting games (none of my friends play fighters :/)
Skullgirls has the best netcode for any fighter yet, it shows you the Ping and you have the option of choosing the delay too. I've had no bars matches on it that felt better than full bar MKX matches (Not an achievement, but hopefully it gives you an idea).

Gameplay is mainly MvC2 inspired; with assists, chain normals, tagging, pushblock and all that, with some Guilty Gear/BlazBlue aspects (mainly in character designs and mechanics). It's an awesome game and has the best community FGC-wise imo. Definitely give it a shot.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Skullgirls has the best netcode for any fighter yet, it shows you the Ping and you have the option of choosing the delay too. I've had no bars matches on it that felt better than full bar MKX matches (Not an achievement, but hopefully it gives you an idea).

Gameplay is mainly MvC2 inspired; with assists, chain normals, tagging, pushblock and all that, with some Guilty Gear/BlazBlue aspects (mainly in character designs and mechanics). It's an awesome game and has the best community FGC-wise imo. Definitely give it a shot.
Awesome! And I know what you mean lol I can deal with MKX's online pretty well for the most part so its nice to hear SG's is even better. I think I will probably try it out, thanks for your input!

So is this game dead? And why wasn't it on the previous year's EVO mainstage? This game has everything and the technical know-how to be super competitive. What gives lol

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Just played for the very first time this game with my buddy. I like this game's fundamentals. Already found one or tqo of my personal weaknesses there. And I already found my first main, that catgirl-like chick.

Στάλθηκε από το C6833 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Lol, how did this get Main paged?
Because Skullgirls is the best fighter
Just played for the very first time this game with my buddy. I like this game's fundamentals. Already found one or tqo of my personal weaknesses there. And I already found my first main, that catgirl-like chick.

Fundamentally, it's a really fun game to play. There aren't any crazy MU numbers, so you can pretty much figure that if you are getting beat by a character, it's because you messed up. Fortune is fun, solid rushdown. I play the nurse chick, Valentine. Also rushdown, but I like her debuff abilities. If you want to test your reactions, try beating Marie 300%

Tanno

Because Skullgirls is the best fighter

Fundamentally, it's a really fun game to play. There aren't any crazy MU numbers, so you can pretty much figure that if you are getting beat by a character, it's because you messed up. Fortune is fun, solid rushdown. I play the nurse chick, Valentine. Also rushdown, but I like her debuff abilities. If you want to test your reactions, try beating Marie 300%
Thanks to this game, I found out my weaknesses. Unlike the other anime FGs, this one is the best in teaching you the fundamentals you need for the anime FGs.

I just sat down and am undergoing the tutorials of them. I know who do you mean. That chick with the huge ala Mai Shiranui breasts nurse.

Will try to find my other 2 mains and get used to this. In the last match, I did a crazy comeback with that cat chick with that huge white-clothed chick. I was almost to beat my buddy, but didn't manage it. This chick is the best character for me.

This game helped me figure out my weaknesses. The reaction and the defense. If I master and fix them, I'll be very good with this.

I hope we see the next Skullgirls.

Tanno

I can't argue effectively that it isn't. While I prefer the aesthetics of other games, Skullgirls is exceptionally well designed, gameplay-wise.
Well, compared of the rest, this game has solid game mechanism. Btw, found my two mains, and both are cat girls (mecba, and humanoid). Gotta find my 3rd main.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Well, I don't know if you know that Lab Zero technically doesn't exist anymore. The story is kinda long and I don't know all the details. Now the former members of Lab Zero formed a new studio named Future Club, they joined forces with Hidden Variable (Skullgirls mobile devs) and are still published by Autumn. They launched Skullgirls 2nd Encore a few months ago and announced a Season 1 featuring new characters, stages, etc.

The first confirmed character was Annie:

Then early this month they confirmed Umbrella:

There's also the possibility of a 5th character if things go well enough. But at least there is gonna be new content throughout 2021 and 2022.

So I wanted to bring awareness that Skullgirls is back in full force.

After sporadically playing Skullgirls these last couple of years, now I'm starting to play more regularly and I'm excited for the upcoming new content!

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I don't really see myself as fitting in SG, but from what I've played of it, it sure seems like it is deserving of all the love people can give it.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Is that a legit parry that rapid fire cancels into itself on hit, or does it just soak multi hits?
That's crazy.
I think you have both options according to this (it's an old video tho)

But if you hold the button you can still parry but decreases the parry window for a few frames.

I'll have to look into it