What's new

Skarlet Stress test review

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Thanks to @SaltShaker i was able to get a beta code for PS4 and join everyone else and play the beta, which is still probably going but my internet bandwich has ended and monday is already workday, so i figure maybe i should give my review on things i tested and played around, though none of this is final and definitely subject to change there is a high possibility you will see a different Skarlet on the next beta or even at launch day.

So by far Skarlet seemed work really well with the system, and if you played as long as some of us did you didn't played any of the default variations maybe, so for this review i will place all moves i equipped in a sort of class, which shall give you an idea of what is easy to use and what not, so her effectiveness its higly tied on how good of a sinergy you can achieve with a combination of equipped abilities and default ones.

With the short time i had with the beta, i found myself often designing Skarlet sinergy around blood ball there are some moves that work well with it such as the BF4 moves, which forces players to not neutral duck blood ball and certainly not jumping on her from distance due those 3 moves she can equip one at the time.

So Skarlet has a lot of habilities and i'm pretty sure the majority of it went under explored, by far if you really want to play a very effective MK9 style of Skarlet this is the best configuration to keep up with your initial constant lose of health:

Starter tier
Slot1: Dagger Dance (To counter heavy offense and regain health from it)
Slot2: Teleport ( To counter zoning)
Slot3: Cell Siphon ( To restand and regain health) Beginner level.
This gives you anything you need including a 4~bf4 or 1~bf4 as anti-air which amplified does 200+ damage on hit and still allows you to mix them up on restand for more and throw becomes harder to stuff out and they will have to neutral duck.

Alternative on defense
slot1: killer-clot (Replaces blood trail, and disables opponent's 2 in 1 cancels so they can't combo)
slot2: krimson shield (take less damage)
slot3: add a different effect as needed.

Mid tier
Slot1: Blood Flow (allows you to control the speed of the ball by making it go slower/faster)
slot 2: Teleport (Allows you to travel anywhere on screen before the blood ball gets where you are)

With this setup you can control scorpion's teleport by teleporting right to where blood ball is going to be which condition's him to not do the same thing, but it gives up to the dagger dance defense, you can still get the same achievement without the blood flow

A much harder tier
Slot1: Dagger Dance
Slot2: Retch-Rebution (Forces players to not duck and not jump bloodball under any circustance)
Slot3: Red Rain (empowers zoning making even her db4 and everything she throws at the opponent do more damage)

You can experiment with as many as you go, but for a solid zoning her blood ball is something you should aspire to throw on any setup chance you get to avoid breakaways and force duck unders to hit them with the tongue or other moves which while fullscreen are pseudo safer.

Camera mixups
Skarlet walkspeed in combination with her long reaching normals can be used to walk on the edge of the line where camera shifts to wide or close to confuse your opponents on either you are on or off they range, its so confusing that making it harder to see what's happening, you get to fire bf2s or db4s when out of range to keep them in check and bait anything else with 21 or f2 or b3~bf2 or whatever else you have equipped.

Must have
Dagger Dance = DB1
This move is as defensive as Skarlet goes, she has this glaring weakness up close where ppl will tend to low profile and uppercut her normals once close and can be a struggle to deal with as of now, but its by far the best defensive option she may have for several reasons
Pros
1. The parry animation its somewhat similar to her blocking animation, if one is too eager on offense they might have just miss it and ending up attacking on it thinking she is guarding so this will force players to freeze for a while and take a good look at it to see if you're guarding on parrying, it also heavily conditions your opponent's next decision which can often be anticipated on Skarlet's favor. A good way to hiding it its to stance switch and give SKarlet's back to the foreground, then no one will know for sure either you blocked or parried.

2. The parry can be canceled by releasing the button, or you can extend by holding it down as long as necessary.
3. It parries throws, normals, disjointed hitboxes, specials that are not projectiles

Cons
1.The parry has 3 weakness, it doesn't parry projectiles, doesn't parry lows, neither does jump attacks.

A player who see's this parry or think you're going to use it, will either attack low, jump or use a projectile, you can anticipate and counter all 3 by not parrrying when they are expecting you to do it and counter accordingly.
Jump to beat lows, if mid screen jump in for a full combo punish while they use lows, up close just walk back and wait for a button press and hack away with 2,1 or B1, 2

anti-air jump ins with 4 or with 1 into db4 or bf4 if you have equipped, make sure to take a look at the meter, some players tend to break away often. If close, walk under into b1, 2

While Bolling point seems interesting, i didn't get much results from my testings so this is going to wait until release day, so does any other of her moves and other applications she might have.

I would of course expect dashes in MK11 in general to recover faster, there is no need to be so slow and they could definitely use recovery buffs

I couldn't wakeup as much as i wanted or flawless block as much as i needed, things to practice on release day

Special note to NRS: i really do hope you guys have a filter to which one decides either you want to play wi-fi warriors, cable warriors or both, so the reject ratio starts to become less, i got rejected heavily while at home specially because i was testing how far the net code goes under worse conditions while using a poor wireless setup, and with it i played even against brasilian players under the same setup and the response in general was very good, and had to go to some guy with 2MB of upload speed to play as many matches i could without being rejected, or course the ping quality of some of those matches went around 200ms to 255+ but still playable, which should be the treshold for distance against anyone who wants to fight anyone, beyond that its just terrible, so matches with 250ms are the limit of what i call aceptable and i'm still able to play somewhat reactionary.

My internet badnwich has ended, so any footage i have from the stress test will come along after 2 weeks only.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Well, that explains why I thought the parry was trash tier lol... you have to hold it dooooown!! Rip.

I was like, that's the fastest parry animation I've ever seen. I only hit it a couple times the whole beta. lmao

Thanks for the info!

Personally I was using Cell Siphon and Killer Clot the most.

Also liked Blood Flow

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Well, that explains why I thought the parry was trash tier lol... you have to hold it dooooown!! Rip.

I was like, that's the fastest parry animation I've ever seen. I only hit it a couple times the whole beta. lmao

Thanks for the info!

Personally I was using Cell Siphon and Killer Clot the most.

Also liked Blood Flow
Cell siphon is starter pack easy.

MK Led

Umbasa
I feel like I will probably end up using retch, parry and teleport. But I guess once everyone gets their hands on the game I’ll have more of an idea. I’d love some confirmation on how tournaments will be run in terms of variation customisation, but I don’t think we have anything concrete yet?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I feel like I will probably end up using retch, parry and teleport. But I guess once everyone gets their hands on the game I’ll have more of an idea. I’d love some confirmation on how tournaments will be run in terms of variation customisation, but I don’t think we have anything concrete yet?
Definitely not, so far the standard combination worked really well and there is hardly a reason to take more risks when you can replenish some of your health if you hit or if you successfuly parry anything on a good read.

I also felt like redmist and blood ritual felt really un-necessary as movesets, those might end up being the worse movesets on her movelist for several reasons
For a character who wants to space the most, redmists takes away her best mid projectile which is the tongue and blood ritual takes more damage to skarlet than the opponent itself, there is hardly ever if none reason to use blood ritual considering how slow it takes to start and how no one its almost not in the ground.

She already struggles up close and doesn't really have good mid options to cover it, so using red mist as a trade for the tongue for offense felt really contradictory, i would personaly trade that move for a Stance that allows Skarlet use use her MK9 red dash into their respective mk9 followups: MK9 Down Slash, Up Clash and Slide, that would have been a better trade than becoming noxious reptile.

Her teleport feels slow on startup and recovery, while is still manageable, i think one of them should be faster, or the startup or the recovery but not both, its more a tool of anticipation but still doesn't really get you anywhere someone with good reads will put you on a terrible spot most of the time, but that is too early of a judgement, so i will ait for release day to make some more testings on my own, specially in combination with certain moves, i want to see if its possible to test different outcomes.

gitblame

Noob
I messed around with Skarlet in about 200 matches with other players and like 2 hours in towers to figure out her moves;

She is really fun to play. She can play as a zoner or more like mid range character and do both things really well. It took me time to stop trying to counterpoke with D1 after some moves. It really does not have good range and I was eating whiff punishes. Other than that her buttons are really good. I liked a lot standing 2 stagger. F2 has great utility. F4 is also very good mid.
Visually, I love her redesign. She went from stripper dressed like a ninja to a sexy ninja // blood mage. I need short hair option too.
For sure she is one of the characters I will keep my eye on when the game comes out.

From her ability moves, I really liked red mist (the Scarecrow trait like move). You need to sactifice tounge which is huge, since tounge has awesome utility, but I think it actually might be worth it, if you think of more of melee version of Skarlet. Red mist restands with +17(?). Restanding oponnent when you deal to them unblockable dot damage upclose is really cheap.
For the combos into red mist -> It combos from 124 and F43. And I think there is a midscreen combo from 212.

212 -> 212 -> dash cancel -> 4 -> red mist (26%)

By dash cancel I mean MK9 dash cancel when you dash and immidately press a button. I tried it in towers. I coudn't get it every time, but I think with proper training mode it will be get down easily.

I tried her other moves that could replace her healing restand (I believe it was called cell siphon), but they seem just weaker. I don't think cell siphon will cost only 1 slot in final build.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Thanks to @SaltShaker i was able to get a beta code for PS4 and join everyone else and play the beta, which is still probably going but my internet bandwich has ended and monday is already workday, so i figure maybe i should give my review on things i tested and played around, though none of this is final and definitely subject to change there is a high possibility you will see a different Skarlet on the next beta or even at launch day.

So by far Skarlet seemed work really well with the system, and if you played as long as some of us did you didn't played any of the default variations maybe, so for this review i will place all moves i equipped in a sort of class, which shall give you an idea of what is easy to use and what not, so her effectiveness its higly tied on how good of a sinergy you can achieve with a combination of equipped abilities and default ones.

With the short time i had with the beta, i found myself often designing Skarlet sinergy around blood ball there are some moves that work well with it such as the BF4 moves, which forces players to not neutral duck blood ball and certainly not jumping on her from distance due those 3 moves she can equip one at the time.

So Skarlet has a lot of habilities and i'm pretty sure the majority of it went under explored, by far if you really want to play a very effective MK9 style of Skarlet this is the best configuration to keep up with your initial constant lose of health:

Starter tier
Slot1: Dagger Dance (To counter heavy offense and regain health from it)
Slot2: Teleport ( To counter zoning)
Slot3: Cell Siphon ( To restand and regain health) Beginner level.
This gives you anything you need including a 4~bf4 or 1~bf4 as anti-air which amplified does 200+ damage on hit and still allows you to mix them up on restand for more and throw becomes harder to stuff out and they will have to neutral duck.

Alternative on defense
slot1: killer-clot (Replaces blood trail, and disables opponent's 2 in 1 cancels so they can't combo)
slot2: krimson shield (take less damage)
slot3: add a different effect as needed.

Mid tier
Slot1: Blood Flow (allows you to control the speed of the ball by making it go slower/faster)
slot 2: Teleport (Allows you to travel anywhere on screen before the blood ball gets where you are)

With this setup you can control scorpion's teleport by teleporting right to where blood ball is going to be which condition's him to not do the same thing, but it gives up to the dagger dance defense, you can still get the same achievement without the blood flow

A much harder tier
Slot1: Dagger Dance
Slot2: Retch-Rebution (Forces players to not duck and not jump bloodball under any circustance)
Slot3: Red Rain (empowers zoning making even her db4 and everything she throws at the opponent do more damage)

You can experiment with as many as you go, but for a solid zoning her blood ball is something you should aspire to throw on any setup chance you get to avoid breakaways and force duck unders to hit them with the tongue or other moves which while fullscreen are pseudo safer.

Camera mixups
Skarlet walkspeed in combination with her long reaching normals can be used to walk on the edge of the line where camera shifts to wide or close to confuse your opponents on either you are on or off they range, its so confusing that making it harder to see what's happening, you get to fire bf2s or db4s when out of range to keep them in check and bait anything else with 21 or f2 or b3~bf2 or whatever else you have equipped.

Must have
Dagger Dance = DB1
This move is as defensive as Skarlet goes, she has this glaring weakness up close where ppl will tend to low profile and uppercut her normals once close and can be a struggle to deal with as of now, but its by far the best defensive option she may have for several reasons
Pros
1. The parry animation its somewhat similar to her blocking animation, if one is too eager on offense they might have just miss it and ending up attacking on it thinking she is guarding so this will force players to freeze for a while and take a good look at it to see if you're guarding on parrying, it also heavily conditions your opponent's next decision which can often be anticipated on Skarlet's favor. A good way to hiding it its to stance switch and give SKarlet's back to the foreground, then no one will know for sure either you blocked or parried.

2. The parry can be canceled by releasing the button, or you can extend by holding it down as long as necessary.
3. It parries throws, normals, disjointed hitboxes, specials that are not projectiles

Cons
1.The parry has 3 weakness, it doesn't parry projectiles, doesn't parry lows, neither does jump attacks.

A player who see's this parry or think you're going to use it, will either attack low, jump or use a projectile, you can anticipate and counter all 3 by not parrrying when they are expecting you to do it and counter accordingly.
Jump to beat lows, if mid screen jump in for a full combo punish while they use lows, up close just walk back and wait for a button press and hack away with 2,1 or B1, 2

anti-air jump ins with 4 or with 1 into db4 or bf4 if you have equipped, make sure to take a look at the meter, some players tend to break away often. If close, walk under into b1, 2

While Bolling point seems interesting, i didn't get much results from my testings so this is going to wait until release day, so does any other of her moves and other applications she might have.

I would of course expect dashes in MK11 in general to recover faster, there is no need to be so slow and they could definitely use recovery buffs

I couldn't wakeup as much as i wanted or flawless block as much as i needed, things to practice on release day

Special note to NRS: i really do hope you guys have a filter to which one decides either you want to play wi-fi warriors, cable warriors or both, so the reject ratio starts to become less, i got rejected heavily while at home specially because i was testing how far the net code goes under worse conditions while using a poor wireless setup, and with it i played even against brasilian players under the same setup and the response in general was very good, and had to go to some guy with 2MB of upload speed to play as many matches i could without being rejected, or course the ping quality of some of those matches went around 200ms to 255+ but still playable, which should be the treshold for distance against anyone who wants to fight anyone, beyond that its just terrible, so matches with 250ms are the limit of what i call aceptable and i'm still able to play somewhat reactionary.

My internet badnwich has ended, so any footage i have from the stress test will come along after 2 weeks only.
You're welcome bro! Nice write up. I'll add some things I gathered since I mostly agree with your review. I agree 100% the starter pack is definitely Parry/Tele/Siphon. Straight forward, balanced, covers a lot. Gonna share what I thought of the two MUs.

Vs Baraka- Zoning is God here. My setup was Blood Ball + Retch, or Blood Ball + Parry, depending on the play style of the Baraka player. Not really sure how Baraka can consistently get around a master zoning Skarlet at distance with this setup. I'll need to see it. When facing a Baraka who is a bit more steady in getting closer, I chose the Parry over Retch as I agree with Eddy Parry is very strong due to her weak "get off me" game. I AMP Parried every time I could, very worth it. I can picture this being the type of game that she'll have against non teleport characters. Which leads me to...

Vs Scorpion- You can still zone him, but a lot slower and more patient, and punish desperation teleports. Up close nothing seemed strong except the stance cancels. I don't think we have had enough time yet to practice against it, but initial impressions were a state of confusion on what I should be doing. Time should fix that though. Without the Misery Stance I don't think that match is too problematic at all. Though his pokes like D4 can be a bit annoying at times. Her ranged attacks and forward walk speed is really good in this MU.

I'm sure this will be the case with every character, but there were a couple of specials that I would have no interest ever using. Blood ritual, which injures your opponent, but injures you double the amount? Why would I ever equip this over some of the specials she has available? It's a waste in its current state. Or if I have a special that is going to remove tentacle, it better be very strong. Why use Boiling Point over Retch? Aren't these two moves too similar in general, where one is destined to be inferior over the other? Hopefully it's something they will aim to have all specials viable, but that's a tall task for any developer.

Skarlet seems like a perfect balance of how a character should be designed for an archetype. Massively enjoyed playing her. I'm ready for the next beta to hopefully have 8 or more characters, so we can get a better idea of how she'll play out in the game.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
You're welcome bro! Nice write up. I'll add some things I gathered since I mostly agree with your review. I agree 100% the starter pack is definitely Parry/Tele/Siphon. Straight forward, balanced, covers a lot. Gonna share what I thought of the two MUs.

Vs Baraka- Zoning is God here. My setup was Blood Ball + Retch, or Blood Ball + Parry, depending on the play style of the Baraka player. Not really sure how Baraka can consistently get around a master zoning Skarlet at distance with this setup. I'll need to see it. When facing a Baraka who is a bit more steady in getting closer, I chose the Parry over Retch as I agree with Eddy Parry is very strong due to her weak "get off me" game. I AMP Parried every time I could, very worth it. I can picture this being the type of game that she'll have against non teleport characters. Which leads me to...

Vs Scorpion- You can still zone him, but a lot slower and more patient, and punish desperation teleports. Up close nothing seemed strong except the stance cancels. I don't think we have had enough time yet to practice against it, but initial impressions were a state of confusion on what I should be doing. Time should fix that though. Without the Misery Stance I don't think that match is too problematic at all. Though his pokes like D4 can be a bit annoying at times. Her ranged attacks and forward walk speed is really good in this MU.

I'm sure this will be the case with every character, but there were a couple of specials that I would have no interest ever using. Blood ritual, which injures your opponent, but injures you double the amount? Why would I ever equip this over some of the specials she has available? It's a waste in its current state. Or if I have a special that is going to remove tentacle, it better be very strong. Why use Boiling Point over Retch? Aren't these two moves too similar in general, where one is destined to be inferior over the other? Hopefully it's something they will aim to have all specials viable, but that's a tall task for any developer.

Skarlet seems like a perfect balance of how a character should be designed for an archetype. Massively enjoyed playing her. I'm ready for the next beta to hopefully have 8 or more characters, so we can get a better idea of how she'll play out in the game.
the bloodball sinergy cannot be ignored.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
@Eddy Wang thanks for the analysis, a great read. Dagger Dance, Teleport and Cell Syphon were my first choices to try, just based on intuiton and taste with no deeper analysis behind it.

Unfortunately, I personally found most of the other options lackluster. With Cell Syphon I don't really have a need for another move that would primarily be an ender. Blood Ritual is useless hurting yourself more than the opponent, and for me personally the buffs don't do much. Blood Clump is the only other one that could be interesting. She already has tons of specials in her base, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the selectable options compared to other characters.