What's new

Skarlet Jail frame traps (blockstring's/ throw setups/launch)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
As we know, MK11 has a Jail system which is kinda like a redesign of MK9 which in turn makes the massive low profiling we suffered from in MKX a lot less relevant, the goal its to be plus enough to guarantee your next hit in case your opponent tries to duck a throw on hard read without block in or tries to low profile it, it essentially its a counter strategy to Uppercuts KB if you manage to hit something on hit, it also enables a lot of shimmy and you can play with it often in order to force your opponent to block, or not block when they are get hit by it.

Skarlet once again has uses for this system to make pseudo-blockstrings setups with her strings, perform some really strong shimmy due her once again amazing walkspeeds, quick dashes and backdashes recovery witout canceling, even though not much, heart pierce gets the most of it with less chance of getting flawless blocked on certain gaps.

Jailing traps

D1
+8 On hit, its mainly a defense tool but it reverses pressure on hit, standing 1 jab becomes unduckable and opponents are forced to block after, use this opportunity to throw opponents after you hit a d1, if they are trying to disrespect the throw, hit d1 into standing 1, 2 string for a small combo. You can also shimmy by walking away after a d1 on hit, and whiff punish with f2~tentacle for a small 2 hit combo.

1, 2
+9 on hit, ensure another 1, 2 in the corner, it cannot be ducked if it hits and forces players to take a throw mixup. at the wall which you mix with b3,4 or just change your timings all together.

f4 (tip of the range)
+14 on hit, ensures a free 212 string which cannot be ducked midscreen the opponent is forced to block after and if they try to duck to avoid they are going to get hit by it.

F4, 3
+15 on hit, ensures a free 212 string anywhere on screen, cannot be ducked and forces a throw mixup in the corner.

Blood Ball
Any way you manage to hit blood ball while your are close to them its a free pressure setup, blood ball also takes a while to start so it can throw some flawless block timings off.

Will make a video about it when i get home.

Last edited:
MKX had jailing system too. And injustice 2 too. To be honest I only played these games (on a level I even cared about it) and it was there as I think of.
What is the difference from MKX?

Crestie

Noob
Hey everybody! How's it going? Anyway, first post here, and I figured I'd show some stuff I found out (apologies if it has been discussed before; I'm new).

So, cancels into db3 (from f4,3, b3, and f2 when close to the opponent) are kind of interesting and seem to jail. If one fully connects, it allows you to dash, and use certain attacks. It seems that b2, f2, b3, and f4,3 all work.

Also, I'm fairly certain that at max range, f2, bf2 jails and can be followed with db4f.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything. Not sure how useful this stuff is, either.

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
MKX had jailing system too. And injustice 2 too. To be honest I only played these games (on a level I even cared about it) and it was there as I think of.
What is the difference from MKX?
How they distributed the frames on certain moves to do this is its way different than before, for example, no d1 into a standing jab was a thing before in MKX.
In MKX KL had something similar but you definitely could duck it and took a very long while to set i up.

E

Eldriken

Getting the timing down on the 212 after f43 and the like is gonna be integral for online matches. It's gonna make people who like to push buttons after being hit really mad.

How they distributed the frames on certain moves to do this is its way different than before, for example, no d1 into a standing jab was a thing before in MKX.
In MKX KL had something similar but you definitely could duck it and took a very long while to set i up.
I dont understand. In MKX I also did the D1 into high for pressure.
E.g. Kotal Kahn's D1 into 114 was pretty easy but Scorpion's D1 into S1/S2 was difficult (to me).

In the MKX practice room I practiced the same way... opponent ducking.. D1 - then S1.

Or you mean the importance of the D1 jail into Jab was not that high in MKX? I do not know without D1 I could not start pressure with Kotal after they made the B1 high so it WAS a thing to me.
With Scorpion too when I was sick of my opponent's poking out of my throw after D1 lol (and I did not want to risk the F2 up close).

EDIT: I just went to MKX and did the D1 into S2 jail against ducking opponent 5 times in a row with Scorpion. 2 frame link (11 vs 9). I did not forget it in the past 1-1,5 years lol.

But I agree: it looks like the frame distribution is pretty perfect for every character to play his/her frame traps properly.
The frame data and the type of the move is pretty the same for certain characters.
Good for the characters who have 9-10F MID (especially launcher): they can better force the opponent not mash after a -4 -5 move and force the throw. But Skarlet can do the same indirectly of course. :)

Last edited:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I dont understand. In MKX I also did the D1 into high for pressure.
E.g. Kotal Kahn's D1 into 114 was pretty easy but Scorpion's D1 into S1/S2 was difficult (to me).

In the MKX practice room I practiced the same way... opponent ducking.. D1 - then S1.

Or you mean the importance of the D1 jail into Jab was not that high in MKX? I do not know without D1 I could not start pressure with Kotal after they made the B1 high so it WAS a thing to me.
With Scorpion too when I was sick of my opponent's poking out of my throw after D1 lol (and I did not want to risk the F2 up close).

EDIT: I just went to MKX and did the D1 into S2 jail against ducking opponent 5 times in a row with Scorpion. 2 frame link (11 vs 9). I did not forget it in the past 1-1,5 years lol.

But I agree: it looks like the frame distribution is pretty perfect for every character to play his/her frame traps properly.
The frame data and the type of the move is pretty the same for certain characters.
Good for the characters who have 9-10F MID (especially launcher): they can better force the opponent not mash after a -4 -5 move and force the throw. But Skarlet can do the same indirectly of course. :)
In MKX highs are 8f and d1s are +5 or so, rarely you will see a jailing situation, the best some characters could do is d1 into a 11f mid which was the universal treshold to stuff d1s and d3, reason why the massive amount of low profiling was annoying, without counting the fact that the game counts frames with their true startup instead of execution, so 8f jabs were actually 9f, and 11f mids were actually 12f.

In MK11 jabs are 7f across the majority of the cast execution wise which is way less of a startup than what a d1 hit advantage provides in this game.

Besides this is just an easy counter to those who keep complaining the massive amount of low profiling Skarlet suffers because her best combo starter its a 13f high, which i don't really believe, at +8 Skarlet can walk out of lows and d1s, hit a 13f mid without being interrupted, whiff punish with f2~tentacle, setup a throw, or jail for pressure.

I'm just going to say, before ppl start jumping on the train of buff and nerf this or that, call it boring or one dimentional, better take a good look at your character and the things he can do with the rules given to the game.

In MKX highs are 8f and d1s are +5 or so, rarely you will see a jailing situation, the best some characters could do is d1 into a 11f mid which was the universal treshold to stuff d1s and d3, reason why the massive amount of low profiling was annoying, without counting the fact that the game counts frames with their true startup instead of execution, so 8f jabs were actually 9f, and 11f mids were actually 12f.

In MK11 jabs are 7f across the majority of the cast execution wise which is way less of a startup than what a d1 hit advantage provides in this game.

Besides this is just an easy counter to those who keep complaining the massive amount of low profiling Skarlet suffers because her best combo starter its a 13f high, which i don't really believe, at +8 Skarlet can walk out of lows and d1s, hit a 13f mid without being interrupted, whiff punish with f2~tentacle, setup a throw, or jail for pressure.

I'm just going to say, before ppl start jumping on the train of buff and nerf this or that, call it boring or one dimentional, better take a good look at your character and the things he can do with the rules given to the game.
I maybe played with characters with +10-12 hit advantage pokes. Scorpion , Kotal, Kung Jin, Tremor, Sub Zero, Jason, etc.
Only bad hit advantage character I played with Kitana but her 6F D3 was also high hit advantage up close for starting the pressure you want.

Now I see your point and I did not want to argue with you or prove anything - just from my point of view it was always there. :)

GinTonicTrain

Lord_Minus_Frame
Jailing traps

F4, 3
+15 on hit, ensures a free 212 string anywhere on screen, cannot be ducked and forces a throw mixup in the corner.
I have something in addition:
You can end F4,3 into DB3 for +17 on hit (only hitconfirm because it's unsafe on block) in the corner . More damage and two extra frames. b34 (13 frame start up) is guaranteed so your opponent has to guess between throw/overhead and your low combo starter.

It is possible in midscreen too, but not that useful. In midscreen i go for F4,3 into BF2 (+7) sometimes. Your opponent will be in the perfect range for all the far reaching mids. Can be usefull to close out rounds and in harder matchups, where the fullscreen game is not the best option.

Keep up the good work, I appreciate it.

GinTonicTrain

Lord_Minus_Frame
Hey everybody! How's it going? Anyway, first post here, and I figured I'd show some stuff I found out (apologies if it has been discussed before; I'm new).

So, cancels into db3 (from f4,3, b3, and f2 when close to the opponent) are kind of interesting and seem to jail. If one fully connects, it allows you to dash, and use certain attacks. It seems that b2, f2, b3, and f4,3 all work.

Also, I'm fairly certain that at max range, f2, bf2 jails and can be followed with db4f.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything. Not sure how useful this stuff is, either.
Sorry man, I overlooked your post. So my last one is old news in some way.

I would disagree with B3 and F2 into DB3 because it is -13 on block and you can not hitconfirm these two options. B3,4 is -5 on block and F2,DB3 is -6 on block. So i think there is no reason to do it.

Crestie

Noob
I would disagree with B3 and F2 into DB3 because it is -13 on block and you can not hitconfirm these two options. B3,4 is -5 on block and F2,DB3 is -6 on block. So i think there is no reason to do it.
Oh! Hit-confirming didn't even cross my mind. Oops, my bad. That's very true. Learned from your posts. Thanks! Useful info. Being fairly new to learning MK isn't easy, but Skarlet is too fun.

Also, I'll assume that you meant to say F2,BF2!