What's new

Skarlet Aftermath Review

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So, final verdict is very few of her changes make an effin' difference and she's more or less the same as before.

Thanks for taking the time to post the video, Eddy. Looks like Skarlet is just gonna keep her seat warm. How unfortunate.
at glance yes, but she definitely hits harder now maybe this will help, we're talking 30% for a bar on any launcher even her jab does 30% damaging combos.
before we would have to contempt with F4,3 into nothing and 124 into tentacle, now when close to a wall even when the travel distance is about to hit the wall amplify bf3 combos into big damage from any launcher so it's a big deal.

not sure how low she will stay but playtime will determine that.

skater11

The saltiest
at glance yes, but she definitely hits harder now maybe this will help, we're talking 30% for a bar on any launcher even her jab does 30% damaging combos.
before we would have to contempt with F4,3 into nothing and 124 into tentacle, now when close to a wall even when the travel distance is about to hit the wall amplify bf3 combos into big damage from any launcher so it's a big deal.

not sure how low she will stay but playtime will determine that.
let me know when the combo video is up? im a skarlet main by the way.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
With how close Evo is, and considering the fact that Skarlet is a character who was adjusted for the first time in a positive way, NRS is probably doing small tweaks to "test the waters" with how she performs in competition. Looking at Jade, you see something of the similar manner.

Shao Kahn and Raiden, meanwhile, were adjusted many times, and only now we are finally seeing massive changes for them. While Raiden didn't quite get the changes he needed, Shao Kahn definitely just might have.

Lastly and IMO, Skarlet's best change is 44 being high mid, and because it is universal, this is buff to all her variations. So, after Evo is probably where more changes will take place, and hopefully it's some of her flawless block gaps.

@MylesWright_

I'll be back 3ing
With how close Evo is, and considering the fact that Skarlet is a character who was adjusted for the first time in a positive way, NRS is probably doing small tweaks to "test the waters" with how she performs in competition.
Originally this game wasn't going to be at Evo and if this is NRS testing the waters.. after a year. Shaving 1f off F21 and buffing B2 in any way that doesn't involve its safety or KB damage then we might be waiting awhile

Her teleport alone getting buffed already is pretty good. So is her 44. What kind of crack are you smoking if u think her buffs are weak lol
Maybe they are significant buffs (even if I don't think so for the 44 because any opponent neutral ducking the first 4 will punish you anyway before the mid becomes active, it just reduces the possible frames where you can be d2 KB), but they are not useful because it wasn't what she needed. The tp didn't need to be buffed, it was already a decent teleport and now she can be very aggressive with it, which is not part of her original gameplan.
It would be sad that one of the only character archetype of the game is starting to be "normalised" to be a jack of all trades character like 3/4 of th cast.

I do agree that the f2 recovery on whiff buff is welcome (and at least every variation can benefit of this change for once)

She still has gaps for days, no safe pressure out of f2 that is not a gimmick, you can't jail a standing 1 out of a cell siphon or red mist (she can't even jail a s1 string with a gap in it, what a joke lol). She struggles to get Krushing Blows and even when one looks decent on paper it sucks because it is very high risk low reward (b2).

I've found some new stuff with the new armor breaker. I think it would be a great time to create a combo thread v2 for the season 2 of the game to include all this new stuff

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Maybe they are significant buffs (even if I don't think so for the 44 because any opponent neutral ducking the first 4 will punish you anyway before the mid becomes active, it just reduces the possible frames where you can be d2 KB), but they are not useful because it wasn't what she needed. The tp didn't need to be buffed, it was already a decent teleport and now she can be very aggressive with it, which is not part of her original gameplan.
It would be sad that one of the only character archetype of the game is starting to be "normalised" to be a jack of all trades character like 3/4 of th cast.

I do agree that the f2 recovery on whiff buff is welcome (and at least every variation can benefit of this change for once)

She still has gaps for days, no safe pressure out of f2 that is not a gimmick, you can't jail a standing 1 out of a cell siphon or red mist (she can't even jail a s1 string with a gap in it, what a joke lol). She struggles to get Krushing Blows and even when one looks decent on paper it sucks because it is very high risk low reward (b2).
What are you saying? Skarlet had the worst teleport in the game, and while recovery was good back then, they keep increasing the draw backs of it to the point she couldn't even use teleport, being outzoned by non traditional zoners.
There were matches where Skarlet didn't had positional advantage of any form, vs Liu kang, cetrion, cage, cassie, sonya, kabal, kano dvorah, geras, to name a few, are all characters who performed better at any rage with no repercution, they were better from mid to fullscreen just as they were up close.

Skarlet was always at risk just by existing in the game, and there was no position she could be at that would make half of the cast fear, they would zone better, rush better outspace better.

Now she can actually predict the characters with faster projectiles and better recover than her and keep them at toes on how they spam their moves and you came and tell her TP was good. Skarlet TP from last patch was trash.

Now she can actually predict the characters with faster projectiles and better recover than her and keep them at toes on how they spam their moves and you came and tell her TP was good. Skarlet TP from last patch was trash.
I didn't say it was good I said it was decent, so not bad but not good either. I said it was decent and didn't need buffs because a premier zoner having a tp, even if it's a slow one but still allows to avoid being cornered, is already a good thing imo.
For the last patches I mostly played Hemorrhage and Blood Drive, so most of my experience with the tp comes from possibly pre nerf Heart Pierce.

I will post a combo vid later today.
I have a lot of recorded combos too, maybe it would be better to post your video in a v2 combo thread. And please tag me when you post it :)

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
Skarlet needed a means of obtaining damage, not adjustments to her frames. You hit someone with a b32 midscreen you get 9 percent, you go for a b2, you're at risk of a full kombo punish for measly damage. Which is fine, as I don't want to resort to some 50/50 horse manure meta, but further options are limited. F34 is really good until you get flawless blocked into a kombo. F44 just leaves you open unless you're at plus frames off a hit blood ball or what have ye.

Running sets against anyone that has competent blocking reactions/spacing, or the ability to expose all her gaps is akin to arguing with a taser.

Wish there were added gravity to b32 where you can do a tight teleport to get more damage and continue the combo. A pop up off b2 kb would help the character. Give this dame some kombos instead of the same 212 crap ad nauseum.

All her strings revolve around faux pressure that leaves her up close and dead in the water. Even if you can capitalize on pseudo pressure the damage amounts to as much as a draft coming through a left opened window.

Why struggle when you can pick up another character with adequate tools?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Imo the best buff is the teleport. You can actually tele some projectiles for a punish now instead of getting hit in the face.

Armor breaker is useless for me because I play her as a life steal character and never even use 212 combos. And even if I did the armor breaker only allows combos in the corner. Midscreen you get more damage if you just d2 like we would have already done cause bf3 amp throws them so far away. lmfao

44 being high mid is whatever, they can still mash a d2 and get a kb.

Better recovery on F2 is a nice thing cause Skarlet is pretty much all F2 and F4 for me.

edit: P.S. if you aren't using heart pierce, you're doing it wrong. :clown:

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Imo the best buff is the teleport. You can actually tele some projectiles for a punish now instead of getting hit in the face.

Armor breaker is useless for me because I play her as a life steal character and never even use 212 combos. And even if I did the armor breaker only allows combos in the corner. Midscreen you get more damage if you just d2 like we would have already done cause bf3 amp throws them so far away. lmfao

44 being high mid is whatever, they can still mash a d2 and get a kb.

Better recovery on F2 is a nice thing cause Skarlet is pretty much all F2 and F4 for me.

edit: P.S. if you aren't using heart pierce, you're doing it wrong. :clown:
she can break armor midscreen and still combo as she recover faster by 15f you can do any combo ender from any variation and it will connect. Blood drive needs to dash into bf4 tho. Those are the easiest, the harder requires dash into into a delayed amp bf3 into b2, sadly it doesn't trigger KB but still does a lot of damage.
The problem is that it launches too far so it's very hard to do much harder combos midscreen.

I've tried some other characters AB and i think while Skarlet it's not the best at least it's not the worst either, i mean it's there, it condition them to not break randomly and if they do you still get over 20% damage minimum midsceeen, 30% in the corner and they lose a bar for it.

Her damage means a lot more now, as you can mix throw with f43 and those who like to neutral duck have to face the fears of f43bf3amp new combos.
And if you are afraid to throw F43 you can always use 44 or step away and use b3.

Before aftermath i used to land F43 a lot into nothing and i had to keep them guessing with throws on another 44 specially at the wall, they were only afraid when she was in fatal blow territory.

Now, at the wall, f43bf3 leaves you at +9, it's auto tick throw, or B3 launcher, f43, high jails or short hop overheads, the point is, if you lock someone up now, you don't need fatal blow to make them fear, the first mistake they do such as taking the risk and duck skarlet now they get deleted hard for doing so and to complement, you can't randomly escape because if you try her bf3 breaks armor and it's automatically her armor break relaunch move and she has across all variations.
this is what I'm most happy about, she corners you she is MK9 queen all over again with all tools accessible to her, she lands a combo midscreen even then you have to think twice before run away from her combos, because she will make you pay the price either way.

And she chip is still 2% minimum off her zoning tools so 29% +2% forced ship on meaty wakeup are 31% everytime they guard.

I think she will be just fine, if she is still trash tier, at least she is Tekken trash tier level to me now, a low tier character that has chance to win with dominant areas as well.

And fuck outtake and spring cleaning, i will never forgive them for outzoning a character who was supposed to be better at zoning.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I didn't say it was good I said it was decent, so not bad but not good either. I said it was decent and didn't need buffs because a premier zoner having a tp, even if it's a slow one but still allows to avoid being cornered, is already a good thing imo.
For the last patches I mostly played Hemorrhage and Blood Drive, so most of my experience with the tp comes from possibly pre nerf Heart Pierce.

I have a lot of recorded combos too, maybe it would be better to post your video in a v2 combo thread. And please tag me when you post it :)
trust me bro, last patch skarlet was hideous trash, i never complained about her tp until they add those recovery frames and nerfed the meter, you would be hit as your teleport became invisible, it was no far at all.

Now she gets at least a throw and a punish on any form if you play ahead.
Kabal, Sub and Jade jump into projectile is now avoidable and before there was nothing she could do just watch them jump all day and firing projectiles at you for the lols as they can linger longer in those areas.
Now, Jade throws an enhanced glaive from the air, kabal, sub, they look skarlet funny in one way, you knowing what they are doing and time your teleport well the reward is justified.

Error404

Noob
Making blood trail come out faster , so that she can have a different projectile rotation would be nice. The things basicly only useful in V3 after ex blood boil right now anyway. I see no harm in buffing it

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
why do the cowards not let stand 44 go into boiling point in v3 thats what i wanna know
why'd they have to nerf the move before making v3 :(

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Making blood trail come out faster , so that she can have a different projectile rotation would be nice. The things basicly only useful in V3 after ex blood boil right now anyway. I see no harm in buffing it
The idea is to counter zone as she ducks incoming to gain advantage on projectile wars, when fullscreen its plus enough to start your own zoning sadly doesn't work that well.
A faster crush would definitely put her up there.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Then what are you combo-ing with the armor breaker midscreen? Cause that shit throws them to the moon when it lands...