What's new

Strategy Sinestro's footsie game

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
What do you guys think are Sinestro's best options when he is in footsie range? I find it challenging to play the footsie game against a lot of the top tiers. At this range, fear blast goes over many characters and i feel like Sinestro's footsies are slower, have little range (besides b1), and less advanatgeous on block compared to many other (good) characters.

Below is a list of what options i try to make use of, and my view on his options. Feel free to correct me and/or disagree. Interested in others' thoughts. Perhaps I'm misevaluating certain options or missing some things entirely.
- B13 (naked): Reasonably good option. It's unsafe against most the cast but works if you read that your opponent will walk/dash forward (which they will do a lot since most characters need to approach Sinestro). Also works as a counterpoke if you think your opponent will throw out a move, this is a good option that leads to damage and/or resets. While the risk is high, the reward is as well.
- B13, arachnid: Bad option IMO. I see high level players doing this, but I don't understand why. Perhaps I'm missing something but it seems like it's very unsafe (many characters can interrupt you between the 3 and the arachnid, and many can punish you after arachnid. Plus this isn't hit confirm able as far as I can tell and also leads to low damage.
-B12, arachnid: reasonably good option and strictly better than B13 arachnid. Not interruptable before the arachnid (I think) and also safer after the arachnid (more pushback). Not much damage. The 2 can be ducked but I've rarely had that be an issue.
- D2: reasonably good option. Hard to punish at max range for most characters, and leads to decent damage/resets.
- Run away (backdash or jump back) and zone: good option as Sinestro beats most characters at full screen.
- Neutral jump 1: solid option that is safe and leads to damage/resets. Punishable if opponent reads it.

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
Seems to me like B12, arachnid would usually be better. Batman, superman, aquaman, and the flash can all interrupt B13, arachnid, just to name a few. Let me know if I'm missing something.

NKZero

Noob
I make use of most of Sinestro's normals when I can.

2, 2, 3: 10f start-up with pretty decent pushback although first hit is a high.
3: deceptively good range and good pushback, not to mention it cancels immediately into trait charge if you wish.
f+2, d+1, 3: another good tool that's plus on block and gives nice pushback.
d+2: very good range and great anti-air.
b+2, 1: safe on block with first hit being overhead and second hit low. Max range b+2 on block ensures the 1 in the string doesn't whiff.

I push people back with normals so they get frustrated and as soon as they try to jump I d+2 or meet them with instant axe of terror (another good tool in footsie range). I will then whiff punish with b+1, 3 when given the opportunity but I don't just throw it out there very often. b+1, 2 is safe but watch out for second hit.

His normals aren't great but I make use of a variety of them to give the opponent more to think about other than the standard.

Seems to me like B12, arachnid would usually be better. Batman, superman, aquaman, and the flash can all interrupt B13, arachnid, just to name a few. Let me know if I'm missing something.

this is true... know this though. there is a huge meta game here.

i played perfect legend for about 40 games this week. he punished b13 arach everything (btw the 3/arach)... so i started doing things like b13fearblastMB... the fear will beat any punish... i believe it leaves a 2 frame window.

obviously if its blocked or ducked your in trouble. but after doing this a few times... i opened me up to doing free b13's bc he feared MB fear or was ducking to avoid it. this is a high level meta game. i like to do b13 to arach just to see their knowledge of the character. if i eat a punish o well... its info. if he is just blocking follow up with a 22 to be a even or 1b23 to be plus. sinestro lives full screen or with you in a vortex. mid range is his weakest facet. i still believe that sinestro is a complete top 10 character.

all fails then b12 is your best option at mid range... or f2d13

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
this is true... know this though. there is a huge meta game here.

i played perfect legend for about 40 games this week. he punished b13 arach everything (btw the 3/arach)... so i started doing things like b13fearblastMB... the fear will beat any punish... i believe it leaves a 2 frame window.

obviously if its blocked or ducked your in trouble. but after doing this a few times... i opened me up to doing free b13's bc he feared MB fear or was ducking to avoid it. this is a high level meta game. i like to do b13 to arach just to see their knowledge of the character. if i eat a punish o well... its info. if he is just blocking follow up with a 22 to be a even or 1b23 to be plus. sinestro lives full screen or with you in a vortex. mid range is his weakest facet. i still believe that sinestro is a complete top 10 character.

all fails then b12 is your best option at mid range... or f2d13
Not trying to be a dick, but just to play devil's advocate - seems like those sorts of mind games would only work in a long set (I.e., not in tournament).

Also, couldn't he just punish b13, arachnid with a d1? Wouldn't that avoid point blank fear blast? I could be totally be wrong but that's what I was thinking.

Not trying to be a dick, but just to play devil's advocate - seems like those sorts of mind games would only work in a long set (I.e., not in tournament).

Also, couldn't he just punish b13, arachnid with a d1? Wouldn't that avoid point blank fear blast? I could be totally be wrong but that's what I was thinking.

Yes. Longer sets or high level play. Agree. And to be clear... Im using b13 in anticipation of it hitting or a punish. If its blocked u go into ohhh shit mode and just try to remain safe.

LEGEND

YES!
Great thread

i also try to use standing 3-trait cancel as much as possible up close to create space and kinda force them to move/react. I usually try to do this after i land a D1 or i know its safe to do so, like in certain MUs or if i feel my opponent is fearing my other options

B1-arachnid is also pretty solid for checking people at a distance

MKPROJECT2359

EMPEROR | MKU PROJECT
f2d13 works and all 223 (if you have trait, you can do 223 and trait shot in between the 22*3. So, the opponent won't be able to move. And the 223 pushes back the opponent at a perfect distance for a b1.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
As an arrow player it feels like sinsestros footsies are very good. His back walk speed seems very good and his b1 advances him extremely far forward. I know b13 is -9 but with trait it's godlike.